Texas-Austin

WARNING - worst DJ ever

DO NOT book DJ David Combs, austinweddingdj.com - he is an actor and voice over artist turned DJ, which at first I thought was cool. Not cool. It is clear this was not his #1 choice of careers. 

-He was noncommunicative; wouldn't return several emails, even when I specifically started asking him to confirm receipt of the emails. 
-He didn't have our recessional music cued up right. THEN he started to play it before our officiant announced us! THEN he cut the music as the officiant was announcing us and restarted it!! Terrible. 
-When it came time to dance, his music sucked. Or he would play a good song and then, once that song ended, it would be a 30 second pause before the next song. I don't know how he didn't just have a playlist of songs. It was so bad that one of groomsmen created a playlist on his phone and tried to give it to the DJ to play. DJ wouldn't play it! 
-He was rude to guests that were requesting songs. 
-HE DIDN'T EVEN HAVE OUR GARTER TOSS SONG! Pony by Ginuwine. Pretty common song!!! It took him 3 mins to find it, and as he was searching (or downloading it), there was no music playing and he was on his microphone saying, sorry the bride and groom requested a specific song for this... Uh, yea. That's kind of how this works.

At our first meeting he kept talking about how some bridezilla was hounding him to go over her song list - giant red flag!!! It seems like this guy hates brides! He's cheap, but you get what you pay for! DON'T BOOK HIM!

Re: WARNING - worst DJ ever

• Thanks for the heads up!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image August 2013 Siggy Challenge- Shoe Inspiration
  • You're welcome! I'm still cringing. I hope this saves someone some heartache!
  • erolliserollis member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited November 2012
    In Response to Re:WARNING worst DJ ever:You're welcome! I'm still cringing. I hope this saves someone some heartache! Posted by shawndawg1 I am so sorry! I really am. I know how it feels. The music was extreamly important to us. We heard only 2 of the songs we requested on our special songs list. cake cutting and mother son dance. I knew I should have made a cd with all the songs for prosestional, recessional, first dance, father daughter, mother son, cake cutting and exit. But I was too stressed and busy to bother. I wish I would have an over a year later this is the only,ONLY, part of our day that we regret. Guess who was our dj? The same Dj you used! Except he was great with responding to emails and over the phone with us. When we met him he was so friendly, great and seemed like the perfect fit. We were so sure we made the right choice. But we didn't. The day of our wedding. About 3 hours before he calls to say he doesn't have any of our music! His computer crashed and he lost everything. He played songs from CDs that he had in a binder! He didn't have much of a selection according to my bridesmaids who kept trying to find songs they wanted to hear. He was Extreamly apologetic the entire day. He did let us hook up our phones to play the fatherdaughter song via YouTube. It was barely audible. And we did get our first dance song but that's because I had it via iTunes on my phone. His willingness and apologies appeased us for the day and we had a great time. But after that we regretted it. I regret picking him more as time goes on. Sorry about the wall of text. I'm posting from my phone and it doesn't want to post correctly.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Oh that makes me so sad. That cannot be coincidental! We both had terrible experiences with the same DJ?? We too liked him after our meeting, and thought we were making the right decision! Our first dance song was very poor quality, too; it sounded like he played it directly from youtube or something.

I was afriad he wasn't going to show bc of the lack of communication. I firmly believe the only reason he was any good at all is that our Coordinator kind of cracked the whip a few days before the wedding. 

This should be illegal! A wedding reception is supposed to be a celebratory party! I hope lots of brides see this so no one has to endure his lack of professionalism.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards