Texas-Austin

Still searching for a few vendors... Give me your recs ladies!

Hey ladies, I haven't been on here much because I *HATE* the new Knot layout :( But I got almost all of my wedding planning done thank to all of your lovely recommendations so I am back... :)

I am still looking for a photographer and a DJ. Some things have happened in our lives and we are cutting back the wedding budget a bit, so I don't have a ton of money to spend on these two areas.

The photography is important to me but I held off booking someone until the finance situation was settled because I'm a big believer in the whole not going in to debt over the wedding thing, haha. I really like the style of photographers like Christina Carroll, but simply can't afford her! I am looking to stay under/around $1000 and would love 8 hours of coverage and printing rights. I don't need an engagement session or any of the bells and whistles... Any recommendations? I am fine with a newbie and have looked through many ads on Craigslist. I have contacted 3 photographers from CL but decided to seek help here before making any decisions.

As far as a DJ, we don't want to spend a whole lot either and I've heard people like Byrne Rock recommended over and over again... but I'm hoping with all the new ladies on here there might be a few new recs pop up?

Thanks and hope everyone is doing well!

Re: Still searching for a few vendors... Give me your recs ladies!

• bgoingsbgoings member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Elliot Boney for photography he works with your budget. Email him at 
    elliot at elliotboney dot com
  • edited December 2011
    i hate the new knot, too. I used to get on every day, but this one takes so stinking long to load!

For photography, I've got some suggestions for ya, if you want to hit up my email. I think you have it, but just in case - sweeting09@gmail.com.
  • lgurnielgurnie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This new layout SUCKS!

We used Jake Holt for photography.  If you look on his website, the rates are over your budget...and they were over ours, too!  But, we contacted him anyway and he built a great package for us that we could afford.  If you like his style, I highly recommend contacting him.  He's really nice, professional, and easy to work with.  You can see our photos if you go to: http://jakeholt.instaproofs.com/ We're Lauren and Chris, 10/25/09. We're really happy with the photos and are so thrilled we used Jake.

I HIGHLY recommend Joel at Greenbelt DJ.  We booked him early in our process and I'm not sure if his rates have gone up or not, but I kow his price is close to Byrne Rock.  Joel was amazing...intelligent, fun, and professional.  I was SO afraid of a cheesy DJ and he was anything but that.  We had a tiny wedding...40 people...and everyone danced all night.  I think you'd be crazy not to hire him!

Good luck!  You're so smart not to be going into debt over the wedding...we didn't either and I'm thankful for that. It passes by too quickly and life will actually go on! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I'd like to suggest Paige Oglvie @ http://plophotography.squarespace.com/ Great prices, great pictures, wonderful person.  Check her out and she is around your budget because she just started doing weddings not to long ago, though she has been taking amazing pictures for like 10 years.
  • edited December 2011
    I just made a new photographer friend the other day, and I think she might be able to work with your budget.

Magan Blasig

Tell her that Liz Baughier sent you. :)
    Liz & David | 10/23/09
    Planning Bio

• edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for all the recs ladies!

We found 2 photographers we absolutely love and now we just have to pick one!

I'm going through some of the DJs mentioned here and in other posts now. Hopefully we'll get another check!
  • edited December 2011
    Kelsy we booked Fred Bishop of Encore Entertainment. He was recommened to us by Jill (Confessions of an Enginerd). He charges $700 for 4 hours coverage but I told him We we looking to stay under $400 total for our package (ceremony and reception) and a few days later he called me and agreed to do it for our price. We were also able to get him to agree to waive the fee for additional time as long as it is with in reason.

We had gone to a wedding where the 'get away' didn't exactly happen as planned. The DJ had to stay and play an additional 30 minutes and they were charged a hefty fee. We wanted to make sure we wouldn't find ourselves in that situation!

HTH :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards