Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Ceremony Idea

So.. I want to do something other than the ordinary candle unity. The sand I think is overdone. I was looking today and I found an idea I thought was very neat. My MOH thinks its "too messy". But with careful planning... I think it can be done easily. Tell me your thoughts.

.....Concrete ceremony: Sounds a little too out there? With careful planning, this ceremony will have a lasting affect! Task a close friend or relative, not in the wedding party, to be in charge of this unity ceremony. The easiest way is to buy a standard garden stone-making kit at a local craft store. These usually come with a cement mix, tray and decorative items. Have your attendant prepare the cement mix and place it in the tray on a table just before the ceremony starts. If you wish, create a decorative holder for the cement tray (this will certainly make it look nicer), and ask your attendant to carry the tray or have the MOG and MOB carry the tray in together. The Bride and Groom will interlock hands and create hand prints in the cement. After the ceremony, have the attendant remove the tray and give it some finishing touches (write your names, the date, and put in some stones, etc.) Also make sure to have two towels on hand to quickly wash off! In this instance, it will take more planning and more patience. You will probably need to do this ceremony after the giving of rings (and make sure NOT to use your ring hand). But you will come away with a www.helium.com/items/515372-how-to-create-unique-unity-ceremonies?page=2#" class="itxtrst itxtrsta itxthook">beautiful stone that symbolizes your union, that can stay in your house or in your garden for the rest of your lives....

I would probably have our 3 kids and Mothers put the gems in the cement for decorating. If we have a bowl on water and a towel on the table,I think it can be done clean. Thoughts?? Other suggestions?? I also kinda like the wine and the box idea.

Brandy
Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Ceremony Idea

• Options
    I'm sorry, but I have to agree with your MOH. I wouldn't want to stick my hand in cement while wearing a wedding dress. Just a towel is not going to be enough to clean up.
  • Options
    Ok so I have to admit... this does sounds messy. HOWEVER, who are we to tell you what you should or shouldn't do for you big day?

If you want to do it, I would firstly make sure that your future hubby is on board with the idea. Then purchase a "practice set" so you both know how you want to do it or how much cleaning up is actually required. It may or may not change your mind about having it.

If you don't try out with a practice set, I'd say get some towels with a bucket of water each so you can actually wash your hands properly, maybe some wet ones as well, just in case. There's a little more to prep and clean up but perhaps you can use it as a way to include some close friends who didn't make the bridal party cut.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Agreed with pps, especially jesse's point about asking some poor soul to miss most of the ceremony just for this.  There are lots of other options for unique unity ceremonies.  In lieu of sand, we used something near & dear to our hearts -- coffee beans.  I've seen cooking spices, bird seed, scotch, fragrance oils (for a home fragrance), etc.
  • Options
    This is one of those ideas that sounds romantic and lovely in theory.  But IRL, it's a recipe for disaster.  Tell you what.....go to Lowe's or Home Depot.  Go to the section where they have concrete and ask the guy who works there what he thinks of your idea.

My brother-in-law did concrete work.  Preparing concrete is not easy.  It splashes, it's very physical to mix it, and the clean up is a beast. It will not gently clean off. 

When you get home from your HM, go into your backyard and do this.  And by the time you're done you'll be thinking "Boy am I glad we didn't do this in front of a crowd while dressed in a wedding dress and tux."

But gee....lots of good luck to you.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_ceremony-idea-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:8fff5f86-eba6-4b49-826b-78ff147cff9dPost:e9570212-0409-4a15-b467-1c86de238709">Ceremony Idea</a>:
    [QUOTE]So.. I want to do something other than the ordinary candle unity. The sand I think is overdone. I was looking today and I found an idea I thought was very neat. My MOH thinks its "too messy". But with careful planning... I think it can be done easily. Tell me your thoughts. .....Concrete ceremony: Sounds a little too out there? With careful planning, this ceremony will have a lasting affect! Task a close friend or relative, not in the wedding party, to be in charge of this unity ceremony. The easiest way is to buy a standard garden stone-making kit at a local craft store. These usually come with a cement mix, tray and decorative items. Have your attendant prepare the cement mix and place it in the tray on a table just before the ceremony starts. If you wish, create a decorative holder for the cement tray (this will certainly make it look nicer), and ask your attendant to carry the tray or have the MOG and MOB carry the tray in together. The Bride and Groom will interlock hands and create hand prints in the cement. After the ceremony, have the attendant remove the tray and give it some finishing touches (write your names, the date, and put in some stones, etc.) Also make sure to have two towels on hand to quickly wash off! In this instance, it will take more planning and more patience. You will probably need to do this ceremony after the giving of rings (and make sure NOT to use your ring hand). But you will come away with a <a href="http://www.helium.com/items/515372-how-to-create-unique-unity-ceremonies?page=2#" rel='nofollow'>www.helium.com/items/515372-how-to-create-unique-unity-ceremonies?page=2#</a> " class="itxtrst itxtrsta itxthook" /> beautiful stone that symbolizes your union, that can stay in your house or in your garden for the rest of your lives.... I would probably have our 3 kids and Mothers put the gems in the cement for decorating. If we have a bowl on water and a towel on the table,I think it can be done clean. Thoughts?? Other suggestions?? I also kinda like the wine and the box idea. Brandy
    Posted by brandym22[/QUOTE]

JIC
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    I supported a Knottie who wanted to do a tree planting ceremony, but I would think putting your hands in concrete would be way too messy!
  • Options
    I am an art teacher who works with plaster and similar substances to cement often. 

Mixing is difficult and messy.....  set times can be difficult....and clean up is messy and difficult..

I love the idea, but as previous posters mentioned....do it at home some weekend....not during your ceremony.
  • Options
    I agree with PP, do it the weekend before or after the wedding. Its going to be incredibly hard to do, you'll need someone to be away from the ceremony and mix concrete, its very messy and water and towels will not be enough to clean up afterwards.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yea, I guess you all are right. I didnt really fully think it through. I like the idea of doing it at home as a family project. I just want something different thats not at every wedding. I am now reading up on the wine box unity. Thats seems really nice... and so not messy!!
    :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards