Texas-Austin
Options

Alterations - Where and how soon?

Hey all,
I'm getting married next September and am not sure when I should start getting alterations done on my dress. I don't want to start too early, but also not too late. When is a good time to start getting my fittings done?

Also, any good seamstresses anyone could recommend? I got my dress at Alfred Angelo and they seem very expensive!

Thank you!
~Rachel

Re: Alterations - Where and how soon?

• Options
    SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got my dress and alterations at Alexia Gavela. My dress is pretty complicated to alter because of beading and overlays, but I spent about $250 to take in the chest and waist, hem it, and do the bustle. My final fitting is on Friday and my wedding is 3 weeks later. 

I suggest starting your fittings maybe 2 months out. I had one for the top (chest, waist, back) and another for the length. This will give you enough time to get them done, but not so much time that you have a major weight change. I expect them to take in my dress even more on Friday (for an additional cost), but after that I can't lose anymore or it will fall off. 

I think it all depends on the dress and how stable your weight is. Give Geri a call at AG and ask him. He is an expert. Also, they get very good reviews from people who bring their dresses there for alterations, even if they didn't buy it there. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i second everything sarah said above.  i bought my dress elsewhere, but got the alterations done at alexia gavela.  got married this past weekend and could not have been happier with the work geri did.  they're absolute pros at what they do and really really nice and creative to top it off.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards