Texas-Austin

Great Gatsby Venue Hunt

My bride-to-be and I are wanting a "vintage" wedding.  She loves the 1920's feel, embodied in The Great Gatsby movie coming out soon.  While I enjoy the 1920's, I am pulled more to the late 1940's and early 1950's.  We are looking for a venue that invokes both of these eras. 

I admit this is exceedingly vague but we both feel although its hard to describe, we will know it when we see it.  However, there are a few criteria that we think it will have.

+ a 2-day rental.  We want to make this a celebration with our friends and family and not just show up for the ceremony.

+ enough rooms for at least the wedding party to stay on-site.  While we don't mind some people sharing rooms, we would prefer not to mix-genders.  This means at least:  2 rooms for bride's parents/grandparents, 2 rooms for groom's parents/grandparents, 1 room for groomsmen (2-3), 1 room for bridesmaids (2-3), and 1 room for bridge and groom.  So 7 rooms total, with 2 rooms having multiple beds.  

+ a large lawn, possibly nestled up to a large house?  

Can anyone please make any recommendations for places to checkout within an hour drive of Austin?  Thank you!

Re: Great Gatsby Venue Hunt

• My bride-to-be and I are wanting a "vintage" wedding.  She loves the 1920's feel, embodied in The Great Gatsby movie coming out soon.  While I enjoy the 1920's, I am pulled more to the late 1940's and early 1950's.  We are looking for a venue that invokes both of these eras. 

I admit this is exceedingly vague but we both feel although its hard to describe, we will know it when we see it.  However, there are a few criteria that we think it will have.

+ a 2-day rental.  We want to make this a celebration with our friends and family and not just show up for the ceremony.

+ enough rooms for at least the wedding party to stay on-site.  While we don't mind some people sharing rooms, we would prefer not to mix-genders.  This means at least:  2 rooms for bride's parents/grandparents, 2 rooms for groom's parents/grandparents, 1 room for groomsmen (2-3), 1 room for bridesmaids (2-3), and 1 room for bridge and groom.  So 7 rooms total, with 2 rooms having multiple beds.  

+ a large lawn, possibly nestled up to a large house?  

Can anyone please make any recommendations for places to checkout within an hour drive of Austin?  Thank you!

• Uhh...yeah, "Hopkins House" from the photos on the website doesn't have a 'Gatsby' feel at all.  Rustic, or vintage or outdoors or country, yes.  Gatsby as portrayed in the new Baz movie?  No.

Afraid I can't think of anything 'Gatsby' feeling.  Try posting to Craigslist here in the Austin/San Marcos/Killeen area and see if anyone has a recommendation?  Austin just doesn't have that kind of vibe to the city.  Lots of beautiful places, but more "Southern" in feel with the laid-back tone that goes with all things related to the South.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards