Texas-Austin

Need to Vent for a Little

Hey everyone, I need to vent for a little bit.  I know I'm probably being oversensitive because I'm tired and I thought if I typed it all out I would be less annoyed.

I recently went to a bunch of flower appts with my mother and FMIL.  Non of us live in the Austin area so we all had to travel (my mom is from out of state).  Because we were all traveling, I let each flower place know that there was only one day that I could meet and people were really willing to work with me on appt times.

At one flower shop, the person we were supposed to meet with was unavailable when we arrived.  The found someone else to talk with us which was fine.  I was upfront in the very beginning about my budget (which I consider middle of the road).  I ddin't know much about flower pricing so I brought in a bunch of pictures that I thought were pretty - both bigger more elaborate arraignments and much smaller arraignments.  I asked the florist to help with suggestions keeping my budget in mind.  Her suggestions were all the highest end, she even added quite a few things that I wasn't thinking of.  I repeatedly asked her if all of the suggestions would fit into my budget and she said over and over that there was plenty of room in my budget and not to worry.  At the end of the appt, she told me the original person that I was supposed to meet with would email me the completed proposal and we could go from there.

Today, I get a sort of snarky email from the original florist stating that my ideas were way outside of my budget and I needed to come back in so we could talk about more "reasonable" flower arraignments.  He did not give me any sort of pricing on what the first florist suggested.

I guess I'm annoyed because I feel like they wasted my time.  I was upfront from the beginning on what I could afford to spend and the email I got made me feel like that wasn't good enough.  And I sort of feel like they didn't even bother to take the time to tell me what the original suggestions would cost.

I did find other florist who were great and I'm really looking forward to sorting through their different ideas but I'm left with how to respond to this person.  Most of me thinks I should just tell them thanks but no thanks but I will admit there is a little part of me that feels like I should say something about wasting my time.  What do you think.

thanks.
-b

Re: Need to Vent for a Little

• nroach78nroach78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd post a review on yelp. I bet they'll get back to you that way. I'd be really irritated as well.
  • edited December 2011
    If I were you, I'd just forget about the irritating vendor and go with someone else.  Don't let it stress you out, even as disappointing this situation would be, it isn't worth your stressing.  Brides have way too many other things to stress about . . . let alone an inconsiderate vendor.  There are so many florists out there, so surely you'll find the one that will work perfectly for you and make you feel like a valued customer. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree with Future Ramsey. It has been in my wedding planning process that I have discovered that if a Vendor gives you trouble before you even book them, than it is best to go with someone else. You are lucky that it is flowers, and that there are many people that can meet your needs. Had it been something a little more limited like a lighting company, you may have to deal with some crappy attitudes to get a product.

Another thing, is people are going to try to get you to buy the more expensive things, because it makes them more money. If they are not going to be sensitive to your budget, that is a clear indication you need to move on to someone who understands that not everyone can spend thousands on flowers.
  • edited December 2011
    Yuck, sorry you had to deal with that. I did the same thing you tried to do with my florist, I stated up front the maximum I was willing to spend, and then asked her to work within that budget, and she did just that.

Find another florist for sure. I would be civil with the person who wrote the snarky e-mail, but I would also write an honest review to help future brides.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards