Texas-Austin

BBQ

I have looked in The Salt lick, Poke E Joe's, Franklins, Stubbs, Texas Rib King, and was wondering of any of you have had ANY experience with Blue Ribbon BBQ??? They have been around since 1945, but time is not always of the essense. 

Thanks in advance all!

Re: BBQ

• NewbeginingNewbegining member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sorry that was a little vague...
    The Salt Lick ( our number one choice) unwilling to budge with or wants/needs there pricing was a little weird ( basic AYCE oprion was 1025 (13.66) pp and 13.50 76 and up. First red flag, doesnt it normally decrease in price the more ppl you have.
    Texas Rib Kings Willing to work and subsitute, was the second most expensive and has a min ppl of 100.
    Pok e Joe's second most expensive and inconsistant reviews
    Rudys... still waiting for a response 6 days later
    Franklins, never gave me a straight answer... "well if you cant give us a number with in 10 we wont give you a price" ( Still have almost 5 months to go) STD's just went out 2 weeks ago
    Stubbs There 2 meat option is 50 cents more then the salt licks three meat option and there most expensive option is $11 more. ( Proud of there famous sauce) personally I'm not very fond of it
    Waiting of a call back from Ironworks BBQ,
    Old School BBQ
    Smokilicious bbq
     And Really curious to know any experience with Blue Ribbon BBQ.  three meat option for 50-99 $11.29 and 100-200 is $10.29 I spoke with Daniel the manager and he said we dont have any preset options because we are open to all ideas, asked what I was looking for and then  asked my budget and if his prices where in it. I was speechless cause i was totally unprepared for someone to say they will work with any budget and there prices are noy firm and could poosiblly lower them ny a dollar pp...

Any thoughts experiences ideas or advice???
  • edited December 2011
    I received a bid from Rudy's within a few days and was really happy with the quote.  We are using them for our rehearsal dinner, for approx. 50 people, and the price was about $9.50 pp.  We will get 25 lbs of meat (brisket, turkey, sausage, pork loin or chopped beef), 3 sides, bread, sauce, pickles, onions and iced tea.  They even supply all the paper products and utensils.  Not sure if this helps but here is the email address to the person I spoke with.  JennyEbeling@wesellmeat.com.  GL
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-austin_bbq?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:126Discussion:b61da626-1661-4dd7-833a-198231a3ca0ePost:9f53d8dc-b232-4e97-9c1b-1af52aefa857">Re: BBQ</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sorry that was a little vague... The Salt Lick ( our number one choice) unwilling to budge with or wants/needs there pricing was a little weird ( basic AYCE oprion was 1025 (13.66) pp and 13.50 76 and up. First red flag, doesnt it normally decrease in price the more ppl you have.
    Posted by Newbegining[/QUOTE]

Not saying that you shouldn't be concerned, but generally speaking, if they are getting the food in bulk, there is a chance the price could come down. (Think of your invitations.. the more you buy.. the cheaper they are)

We are doing BBQ for our wedding and using a caterer for ours. Our plates will be 18 PP. I think any of the above.. you are getting a really good deal.

Try the Green Mesquite. They have yummy food.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have any experience with Blue Ribbon, but we used Smokey Mo's for my rehearsal dinner and it was sooo yummy! They're very similar in taste to Rudy's, but I prefer their beans and brisket over Rudy's. If you're having over 100 people they will do full-service catering for you for less than 10 dollars a person. If you are having less than 100, they will deliver it but you have to set everything up, etc.
    Here is their catering menu. Good luck! http://www.smokeymosbbq.com/uploads/sm-catering-menu-021711bb.png
  • edited December 2011
    Try capital BBQ or Branch BBQ. Both are under 10 a plate. I have never tasted it though
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL Thanks ladies i will look into green Mesquite, Still waiting on Rudys, and also look into capitol and Branch
  • edited December 2011
    We went to a wedding that was catered by Texas Rib Kings and they had two lines with one guy at the end slicing up brisket. With only one guy slicing it took forever and by the time you sat down the food was cold. We went to a wedding that was catered by PokeJo's and it was better than I had expected. Good luck :)
  • a-c-da-c-d member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-austin_bbq?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:126Discussion:b61da626-1661-4dd7-833a-198231a3ca0ePost:746ce1b0-8f42-48a5-a04b-cdb8ae22dfe7">Re: BBQ</a>:
    [QUOTE] We went to a wedding that was catered by PokeJo's and it was better than I had expected.
    Posted by kayla8558[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I am not personally a fan of PokEJo so I wasn't looking forward to the dinner at a friend's wedding. But it was SOOOO good. I have heard from other people since then that their experience is that the PokEJos catering is better than the food in the restaurant. **ETA: They had a raspberry chipolte sauce for the pork and OMG was it yummy. Everyone raved!!!

I second Rudy's and Green Mesquite.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    THanks for all the responses ladies... I think we are going to go with Green Mesquite... they where a little high but by far the closest to fitting our budget and said they would work with our 40 plus kiddos under 12 so that was awesome!!! as for Blue Ribbon after chatting with the manager I was pretty hopefull as he said they normally will work with you by taking a dollar or so off pp if you are over a certain count.. Well I nearly had a heart attack when I ipened the proposal the owner sent me based on our pp budget it was over 3,500.00 over what the manager had quoted me... lol
  • edited December 2011
    Yay! I am glad Green Mesquite worked out for you. And they are famous!! They were featured on Diners, Dives and Drivein's, so that adds a special little flare to it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards