Texas-Austin

Outdoor wedding in February?

Are we crazy for even considering this?! The venue we are looking at does have a backup plan for bad weather but we are hoping to get married outside. Would the last week of February be a horrible decision?

Texas weather is so unpredictable, it's really the only thing keeping us from booking at the moment.
Best of luck to you and yours!

Feb 22, 2013

Re: Outdoor wedding in February?

• a-c-da-c-d member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If they have a backup plan that you would truly be happy with, go for it. Otherwise, I personally would look elsewhere. IF we get ice/snow it is usually in February... or it could be 70 degrees. It's risky!

Good luck!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • edited December 2011

We went to a wedding the last week of February this year - it was out near Blanco. It was a beautiful day but it was COLD...and they only had seating inside for about 30% of their guests and it was first come first serve. We did not get a seat inside so we ended up suffering through dinner and then left because we were miserable. I agree with the previous post - just make sure you are happy with your bad weather plan...you really don't want to make your guests uncomfortable or have them leave :-/

• MnMShawMnMShaw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If it was the beginning of February, I would say no way.  End of February... if it's the venue you love then go for it.  We got married March 28th and it was an outside ceremony.  You would think March is a good month, nice and cool, right??  Well 2 years ago... it was 35 degrees for most of the day on March 28th!!!  Plus the wind was so strong you could hear it.  You can't predict Texas weather.  If it's cold...your guests will bring jackets.  I wouldn't worry about it.
    Blog
    TTC #1 since February 2011
    BFP #1 1/14/12 EDD 9/24/12 m/c at 8w4d on 2/20/12
    March 2012- Dx with PCOS, started metformin
    July 2012- SA completely normal
  • edited December 2011
    We are looking at the end of February. It'd be the last weekend of February, and originally we were thinking the beginning of March (the 9th) so it's only 2 weeks difference really.
    Best of luck to you and yours!

Feb 22, 2013
  • edited December 2011
    I'd say that no matter what time of year you're planning for you should always have a back up plan.  There's no telling what the weather will be like no matter what anyone says.  This was one of the things that deterred us from using some venues . . . don't choose a venue that can't accommodate you and all of your guests in the event that there is rain, ice, snow, etc.  You want everyone to remember how much fun they had and how they enjoyed your special day, not how cold or sweaty they were.
  • edited December 2011
    We married February 27th, 2010 and it was simply perfect! Go for it girl :)
  • edited December 2011
    I just got married March 5...we were so worried about a good backup plan which lead us to pick our venue, Vista on Seward Hill...I cant say enough great things about this place...the outdoor area is amazing, but the backup plan is equally gorgeous!  Luckily, we had no issues with weather on our day, but if we had, I wouldnt have been upset to use the backup plan:)
  • edited December 2011
    We just changed our day from Sep. 10th to Feb. 25... at the Dallas Arboretum. I'm worried about the weather as well, but like others have said, people will dress accordingly. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards