New Jersey - South
Options

Name change Tips

Uggh where do i begin? I started with a couple credit cards today. I have no idea what to do about social security card??? Married girls where did you begin?????

Re: Name change Tips

• Options
    nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The girls on thenest have the info in their bios....they said to do your liscense first and make sure you get your registration changed too...your soical security card you I think you can do throught the mail but double check...Just make sure you have a few copies of your marriage liscense b/c you'll need it. Oh and don't forget to change your passport...that you send through the mail with your old passport and copy of marriage liscense
  • Options
    nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you go to social security.gov for the social security card...and you also have to change your W-2 with work....post this question on thenest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I started with Social Security, but you could also go to DMV first. If you haven't picked up your certified marriage certificate yet, you may want to request a couple copies. Having more than one will be helpful. I went to Soc. Security in Glassboro.. probably waited about 45 mins, but it took 5 minutes to process. The new card is mailed. At DMV, you'll want to change your license and registration (and also your insurance w/ your provider). You can mail in your passport (I'm getting ready to do this). I had to do my bank name changes in person, but with credit cards and other utilities, I was able to either do it over the phone or fax. GL! It takes some time but really isn't that bad.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did Driver's license first and Social Security second. If you go to SS in person expect to be there for a while. A lot of credit card companies will let you do it over the phone. Don't forget your passport & human resources. Also if you have a professional license (teacher, doctor, pharmacist, etc) you need to change it with them as well. Having more than 1 copy of my marriage certificate made it easy so I didn't have to wait for 1 place to return it before applying at another. A lot of the places need to see originals but will return them a few weeks later once it's been processed.
    I'm pretty sure it's pronounced your mom's a moron and if you didn't have your name legally changed by the age of 22, so are you. Unless you're from another continent. -Groomz
  • Options
    scclark78scclark78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got 2 copies of the certified marriage certificate.  I went to SS first and then to DMV - they both give you the certificate back.  I needed both of these in order to change work info.  Then i did bank accounts.  I will next tackle credit cards and passport.  The process really isn't that bad - just a little time consuming to make sure you get everything.  GL! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    super easy. i did DMV and SS in one day, cherry hill has the offices nice and close. got to DMV at 8ish and was done at SS by 9 10. then my bank account, credit cards, and work. not sure if i need to change it for our mortgage, i'll figure that out soon enough. passport is next. I havent had anyone take the license from me and i only haveone copy and it's been fine.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards