New Jersey - South
Options

Hmmm...

I'm kind of annoyed and need to vent a little. Here is the situation. I come from a semi large family and have 2 older cousins, one a guy and the other a girl. We are very close they are like the older brother and sister I never had. My guy cousin has had a girlfriend since Dec. and really started getting freaked out that me (his younger cousin) is getting married before him. Well this weekend he proposed to his girlfriend! I am very excited for them (even though I think its a little too soon, but just my opinion). Here is the only problem we are having our engagement/house warming party this Saturday and after talking to him they are planning on showing up and how convenient with all of our family there to show off her ring! I guess I just feel like this is mine and my FI's day. I don't want to sound selfish but I don't think its fair to come to someone else's engagement party and make an announcement about your engagement. They are also now getting married on New Years Eve. Not saying it's to do it before our wedding but the whole situation seems very rushed to me.

Re: Hmmm...

• Options
    Linda123Linda123 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try to remember whats most important is that you are all Happy and Healthy........You will have a wonderful day and they will too.  You could receive worse news so be thankful that your family has something else to CELEBRATE.  Sometimes we have to put everything into perspective :) GL!
  • Options
    nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand the feeling but don't stress about it...people do things that are annoying. Just congratulate them and leave it at that...the day is still your day.My younger sisters fiancee was having issues that my brother and I were both getting married and that my parents were paying so much attention to us....well he OUT OF THE BLUE, proposed to my sister at my brothers 30th B-Day...well that didn't get him the attention he wanted so I know have a sister who is pregnant and due the day before my wedding and it wasn't an accident....I just found out that he "convinced" my sister that they should have a baby ASAP and my sister being naive agreed and here we are.I know how you feel....I always hated when people would say "this is my year" when they were getting married.  I believed that the day of your engagment party, bridal shower and wedding where you days...nothing else is...well now I have to deal with everyone giving attention to my sister at my shower and the possibility of her going into labor on my wedding day.  It sucks yeah, but just smile and enjoy your day b/c that's all you can doCan you see I needed to vent :) haha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear you are going through all of that. I really don't understand why some ppl get like that. I'm trying not to stress but I guess the way I look at things is there is a time and a place for everything and someone elses event isnt the time or place. I give you credit for staying positive in your situation!
  • Options
    Kim84mKim84m member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I'm the youngest of three and the first in my immediate family to get married. My brother barely even wished me a congratulations when I called him to tell him because he knew it immediately put him in the doghouse with his live in girlfriend. Which when I called him out on it, he completely admitted. And when I called to tell my older sister (the eldest in the family) she was the same way. and two weeks later when she came home to visit announced she was engaged, and had been "for months" but wanted to wait to tell everyone in person. It was obvious to everyone she was just embarassed her younger sister was getting married first, because they still haven't even set a date. In my case though, I was actually thankful it took some of the heat off of me because my dad was being a complete control freaking trying to plan my wedding, against my wishes, when he's not even paying for it. Weddings seem to not only be quite contagious, but also stir up alot of drama in a family. In the end, just remind yourself you're marrying the love of your life. That's all that matters.
  • Options
    nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh believe me I wasn't positive about it for a while :) I had my breakdowns but mostly b/c I might not have my sister at my wedding and I still have those moments.  At this point there is nothing I can do and I refuse to let them ruin my day. I never understood why some people can't be happy for others, it's annoying but I guess some people have issues :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards