New Jersey - South

High Resolution CD

Hi Girls!  I normally post on the DE board, but I was hoping you girls might be able to help me. My DH and I are planning to purchase our photos from our photographer on a high resolution CD. It is 300DPI. He explained to us that we could only print photos that are 5x7 and less. I assumed this was fair because he wants returned business. He charges a flat fee for the CD.If you bought your CD from your photographer are you also limited on the size of prints? If you don't mind sharing how much did you pay for your CD? And how many proofs did you get?

Re: High Resolution CD

• angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    300 dpi is magazine quality. That's actually crap. Hold a magnifying glass up to a magazine and you can see the dot pattern. The real important number is how many megapixels the image is. The more megapixels, the more information you have,and the bigger you can make your images. Ask him how many megapixels the images are.
  • edited December 2011
    That seems a little crappy to me.  I have a disk of both my wedding and TTD pics and I've printed 8x10s from both and they're great quality.
  • edited December 2011
    The pics from our photographer are 300 dpi, 3861 x 2574 (approx) pixels, and we printed 8x10's that are beautiful. Our photographer is including a CD in our photography package, it's a co-copyright. That was a big deciding factor on who we chose as our photographer. We think it's a little ridiculous that the photographers want to charge so much extra for a DVD and/or printing rights.... By all means, use pictures of me in your portfolio, but I'M paying YOU to take pics of ME, so I get to do whatever I want with them! Off my soapbox now.... lol
  • angel33284angel33284 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For photo quality prints you should print at 600 dpi or more. Ask your photog what the resolution of the images is going to be and then divide by 600. That will tell you the biggest size you make at maximum quality.
  • edited December 2011
    It sounds like your photographer is giving you less-than-stellar quality photos on your CD, so that you can only print up to 5x7 without them looking grainy. Look into how much he charges for reprints of larger sized photos. If it's above average, he should be giving you the hi-res CD for FREE, instead of charging you for it. You have limited options when printing from it, so why is he charging you for it? Sounds fishy to me. Our photographer is including the high-res CD in the package price, AND we get all rights to the photos. I would discuss this with your photographer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards