Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Throwing conventional out the window.

What do you think:

Firstly, my mom is walking me down the aisle - FMIL actually suggested it, and we're all for it. I've learned this is not unusual in this day-and-age.

After much consideration, I don't think I want a traditional, or even instrumental wedding march, AT ALL. What am I considering you ask? 

Love On Top - by Beyonce. If i'm feeling good about myself, it should be my day to celebrate right?

What do you think, am I going to kill future family with my over the top song choice?

**note - FI and I have lived together 5 years, I know all the family, we spend holidays together etc. I think they think i'm a little quiet, bahaha.

Re: Throwing conventional out the window.

• Nope, botanical garden wedding :) We have free reign to do whatever we want, provided we don't burn the place down, or throw rose petals. 

Haha.
  • Don't take this the wrong way, but your ideas are becoming more and more common, even if they aren't "conventional."   This means that people probably won't find them too shocking, and as long as they are personal to you and your fiance, then by all means go for it!

If, for some reason, you change your mind about your song (or you can't use Beyonce, for whatever reason), then check out Vitamin String Quartet on iTunes.   They play a lot of contemporary music arranged for string quartet.  I plan on walking down the aisle to their version of Queen's "(Can anybody find me) Somebody to Love?"    Very cool and unexpected, meaningful to me, and my grandmother will probably not "get it" and think she's listening to normal string quartet music :-)  
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:63cb63b9-718d-44ea-b408-9c3a6f736f2b">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Throwing convention out the window is fine, as long as etiquette doesn't follow.  I think your ideas are fine.
    Posted by 1covejack[/QUOTE]

Not sure where etiquette came into the equation, but I appreciate your feedback.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:99c79821-ec58-4aa5-acd9-b29c067266a0">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't take this the wrong way, but your ideas are becoming more and more common, even if they aren't "conventional."   <strong>This means that people probably won't find them too shocking, and as long as they are personal to you and your fiance, then by all means go for it!</strong> If, for some reason, you change your mind about your song (or you can't use Beyonce, for whatever reason), then check out Vitamin String Quartet on iTunes.   They play a lot of contemporary music arranged for string quartet.  I plan on walking down the aisle to their version of Queen's "(Can anybody find me) Somebody to Love?"    Very cool and unexpected, meaningful to me, and my grandmother will probably not "get it" and think she's listening to normal string quartet music :-)  
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Being a bride who grew up in a very "liberal ideas" household up north, things have always been a little eccentric around here.

Being a bride transplanted to the deep south - I feel like i've gone back in time. Certainly not for everyone here, but my non-traditional ideas have ruffled a few feathers - who knew not having a MOH, FlowerGirl, etc. would be such a huge deal. Color of the dress, veil etc. all of that is important to the people I associate with and it's something I wouldn't have considered "treason" in a million years simply because I don't follow a lot of the wedding "traditions"

So, to clarify, I was asking the consensus - for the record FI absolutely HATES the idea and was mortified I even suggested such an "out there" song.

My first choice was VSQ actually, it's on my backup list if I can't swoon FI on the other ;)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:88a3c59f-be7f-408f-ba58-920d71c89ad2">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Throwing conventional out the window. : Being a bride who grew up in a very "liberal ideas" household up north, things have always been a little eccentric around here. Being a bride transplanted to the deep south - I feel like i've gone back in time. Certainly not for everyone here, but my non-traditional ideas have ruffled a few feathers - who knew not having a MOH, FlowerGirl, etc. would be such a huge deal. Color of the dress, veil etc. all of that is important to the people I associate with and it's something I wouldn't have considered "treason" in a million years simply because I don't follow a lot of the wedding "traditions" So, to clarify, I was asking the consensus - <strong>for the record FI absolutely HATES the idea and was mortified I even suggested such an "out there" song.</strong> My first choice was VSQ actually, it's on my backup list if I can't swoon FI on the other ;)
    Posted by Amandarose531[/QUOTE]

That's pretty much your answer then, regardless of what we all think, if he wants a more traditional song then that's what I would go with. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:88a3c59f-be7f-408f-ba58-920d71c89ad2">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Throwing conventional out the window. : Being a bride transplanted to the deep south - I feel like i've gone back in time.
    I hate when people say this.

• No transported back in time ... Just to a better place (sorry I'm a little partial) ... Being raised by a very Southern mom (and being a very Southern mom myself), there are certain things that are expected and beyonce might be a little much.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PhotobucketPhotobucket June 2012 Siggy Challange - Shoes
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:02c18d41-c544-428a-8ede-229a6f2387e9">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Throwing conventional out the window. : That's pretty much your answer then, regardless of what we all think, if he wants a more traditional song then that's what I would go with. 
    Posted by Gabrielle76[/QUOTE]

<div>I had posted prior to running it by him, and that's what I intend to do (go with something more traditional out of respect for him and his family)</div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you!</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:df9e17ee-6e40-427d-9332-99ac83bd5131">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Throwing conventional out the window. : I hate when people say this.
    Posted by ahstillwell[/QUOTE]

<div>While I appreciate you took the time to read my thread, this isn't relevant to the question at hand.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:5a59fc7d-5b22-4db3-ba98-5a41e2b0e898">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]No transported back in time ... Just to a better place (sorry I'm a little partial) ... Being raised by a very Southern mom (and being a very Southern mom myself), there are certain things that are expected and beyonce might be a little much.
    Posted by squarepeg72[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Ha, living in the south is definitely a different way of life and it's growing on me, i've been here 4 years now and I occasionally still stick out at the supermarket haha my in-laws are the epitome of southern hospitality and I am of course very flexible to appease them - I thought a fun song could work, but after speaking with FI it's obvious he isn't ready for such "wildness"</div><div>
    </div><div>Thank you just the same!</div><div>
    </div><div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:5abcf3e4-58bc-417f-a874-d5c984899fdc">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Heah down south, we worrah more about tha mannahs, darhlin', than tha traditions.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I don't know, i've met some die-hard traditionalists since i've lived here! </div><div>
    </div><div>But on a serious note: Yes, people just want treated well - which is what I fully intend to do!</div><div>
  • thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:f91969d2-3c57-415e-9c8b-6d558a2a13ae">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Throwing conventional out the window. : While I appreciate you took the time to read my thread, this isn't relevant to the question at hand. Thanks.
    lol.

[QUOTE]Heah down south, we worrah more about tha mannahs, darhlin', than tha traditions.

Her words are wise.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:5abcf3e4-58bc-417f-a874-d5c984899fdc">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:

Thanks a lot, this made ma laugh out loud with a mouthful of coffee! Now I have to clean my keyboard.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_throwing-conventional-out-window?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:9db123a3-afa4-42e4-a993-3e1ecd33a953Post:99c79821-ec58-4aa5-acd9-b29c067266a0">Re: Throwing conventional out the window.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Don't take this the wrong way, but your ideas are becoming more and more common, even if they aren't "conventional."   This means that people probably won't find them too shocking, and as long as they are personal to you and your fiance, then by all means go for it! If, for some reason, you change your mind about your song (or you can't use Beyonce, for whatever reason), <strong>then check out Vitamin String Quartet on iTunes</strong>.   They play a lot of contemporary music arranged for string quartet.  I plan on walking down the aisle to their version of Queen's "(Can anybody find me) Somebody to Love?"    Very cool and unexpected, meaningful to me, and my grandmother will probably not "get it" and think she's listening to normal string quartet music :-)  
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]

Most of my music is Vitamin String Quartet....people who know the songs will *hopefully* see our personalities and tastes in the music while the older generations will think they are listening to nice violin music! Win-win!

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• edited January 2012
    Pffttt..

I'm walking down the aisle to Apocalyptica- Paint it Black.
    The wedding party is walking to - World of Warcraft- A Call to Arms.

And the song for our send off is Atreyu- This Flesh a Tomb.

Yes. My Fiance hates it.
    We agreed to "get our way" on certain things. I suffer a pink wedding... We walk as husband and wife to my AWESOME Atreyu.

Marriage is all about compromise.

Its your day. Do what makes you feel good. =]
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Good for you for throwing Old out the window!!!  I am all for your idea.  For example I will be walking down the isle to a friend play the accoustic version of Wish You Were Here, by Pink Floyd.  And I CAN'T wait!!!  I have found a wonderful "off beat" website for those that want something new.  Google, Off beat bride.

GL!
    Jackie
    Out with the Old and in with the New!! Time to make history!
  • FWIW:  I don't remember hearing a song when I walked down the aisle.  Once I locked eyes with DH I couldn't focus on anything else.

Do what you want...its not like people will walk out on you just because of the song choice. 
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Retread is right.  It was written because the songwriter felt alienated by the other band member's mental breakdown. That's not a good song for a bride/wedding.
  • TiffanieF -- that is the best thing to come out of this thread. Thank you so much for sharing. I can totally see the moment in my head -- thanks for elevating it to a higher level.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker LilySlim Weight loss tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards