New Jersey - South

Florist and Baker Needed!!

Im stuck! I can't find a Florist Im Happy with nor can I find a bakery that will deliver on a sunday! if anyone knows of one plz let me know!

Re: Florist and Baker Needed!!

• edited December 2011
    my baker delivers on a sunday (my wedding is a week before you) but I don't know where in so.jo. you are...I'm using christine's bakery in northfield.  sue is amazing and extremely budget friendly!

for flowers I'm using John from County seat florist in mays landing.  he too is great and also very budget friendly.

HTH.
    At sea, heading to Lisbon, Portugal Anniversary
  • Northstar1808Northstar1808 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Here is what I had posted for someone else who needed a baker:

I've been to 11 bakers. The average price I was getting was 6-6.50 per serving. I was looking into getting fondant.  All the places I went to didn't charge extra for fillings (not that I can remember), everyone just had it in the price and so you can pick whatever filling you want (mousse, moussaline, etc.). Here are the places I liked the best:

Miel Patisserie:  the only place that didn't charge you per serving. He charges you by how much work it will take.  IMO, he was the most experienced out of all the bakers. At the tasting he had 4 diff. kinds of choc. and 4 diff. kinds of vanilla and wanted us to know which texture we liked. No other baker did this. Every other baker just gave us a vanilla and chocolate cake and that was it.  Willard said depending on the order you add the ingredients is how firm or soft the cake is. He also had more unique fillings. We tried a vanilla cake with peach champagne bavarian and basil bavarian, sounds weird but it was delicious!! For my cake he charged me $725  and the cake will feed approximately 110 people.

Patisserie de Manielle: She was really knowledgable too.  What I liked the most about her was that her fillings were really unique too.  She mainly does mousses and she had mango, raspberry, and strawberry mousses. They were delicious! They tasted like I was eating fruit not mousses. We didn't go with her because FI liked Miel better. Charged me I think $600 or $650.

Pretty Sweet Bakery: Krista was really nice and her pumpkin cake with cream cheese icing was delicious!! We might go to her for a groom's cake because I loved the pumpkin. She was $6/serving. Oh and she charges $25 for a tasting, everyone else was free.

Bake Works:  They are located in Linwood and their cakes were good too and different.  They had almond cake with pastery cream, peanut butter cake with peanut butter buttercream, cannoli cake, etc.  They were definitely the most expensive out of everyone and they charged me $10-12/serving.

OC Cake Studio: He does really awesome work and the cakes were good as well. You get to pick 4 and I picked pumpkin, cannoli cake, choco with hazelnut and something else. FI liked Pretty Sweet's pumpkin better but the main reason why we didn't go with him is that I didn't find him very professional. We contacted via email and he said I could come either one of two dates so I picked the first Saturday and I told him I will see you this Saturday and put the exact date. I even called before I drove down because it's 50 mins. away and he didn't answer. I get there and he didn't have any cakes for me because he thought it was the following Saturday, which wasn't possible because I was going to be out of the country. We met and talked about my cake and he didn't write anything down or make a copy of my picture (everyone else did). He originally told me it was going to be $7/serving and he was even going to do the gum paste flowers too in that price. So I came back two weeks later for a tasting and I asked him what was your quote again just to be sure and he was like oh it's going to be either $8 or $8.50/serving. The second meeting he still didn't write anything down.  I just didn't like how unorganized he was and it made me concerned because what if he happens to forget to make my cake for the day of the wedding? Or he forgot a detail I wanted.

Anyways, I HTH sorry it was so long. I've met with other bakers too and I can PM you who they are and why I didn't like them. But I think these 5 are the ones you should definitely check out. GL and don't procrastinate on this! This is the fun part!!

For a florist a lot of the girls on here use Maria from Mums the Word which is who I went with.  She really understands your vision and will work within your budget.  Michael Bruce is fabulous and is really really talented. However expect to spend at least $3500. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks so much ladies!! BTW I love Christines I dont know whi I didnt think of her sooner!!
  • lingdesignslingdesigns member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going with Adelaide's in Glendora. (856) 939-3677
    It's very much a sweet little family-run business. They were SUPER reasonable with their prices. The woman who quoted me and would be designing the cake was the granddaughter of "Grandma Adelaide." I love that little mom and pop shop factor, yet you get the sense they've been doing this forever and are very professional.
    It was one of theknot - New Jersey and New York's top rated bakeries. I figured I couldn't go wrong.
    I personally had a negative experience with Miel Patisserie, which I found through a bridal show at the Mansion. I live in New York City but am having my wedding in South Jersey where all our family live and I run a tight schedule meeting with different vendors when I'm in town for the weekend. The guy we made an appointment with was almost 1/2 hour late and therefore made me late for my next appointment. He was very attentive and seemed very knowledgable and the pictures of the cakes they've done are gorgeous... I'll give him that. But the price he quoted us was almost double what Adelaide's quoted me. Then he didn't even email me his notes/quote for another 3 weeks and by then I had already decided on Adelaide's.
    I hate to give someone a negative review but that was my take on it. I'm sure they make good cakes and wouldn't disappoint. But they didn't fit into my budget and with all the negatives added up, it didn't make sense for me to hire them.
    Good luck!

Smile
  • lingdesignslingdesigns member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh yeah, florist... I went with Haddonfield Florist. They were slightly on the pricey side but not outrageous. It seemed like at the end of the day, the other florists I had to compare them to were in a similar range anyway. What I DID like was that Erica actually put together a bouquet for me to look at... putting in flowers and taking out flowers as we go. Then she took a picture of the final bouquet so she knew what to do for the wedding. She was very willing to work with us to keep us within our budget.
    Other florists I met with are Petals and Blooms and Ziegfield's. I almost went with Ziegfield's because the woman was very nice and the prices were very reasonable. But again, Haddonfield actually made something for me to look at and that was what won me over.
    Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards