Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Popcorn Ceremony

Hey Girls,

I am getting married in May in Hawaii and haven't really posted on this board yet. I'm just starting to really sort out our ceremony stuff and I want to know what you all think. We have a vintage county fair theme going, IE Pie instead of cake, bunting, ribbons, games...etc. Our colors are navy blue, rusty red and for a highlight colour, bright green ( like green apple green). Anyway I really like the idea of having popcorn at the wedding to tie into the theme but since I'm doing a DI  don't really want to spend a lot on an old time popcorn machine for the place. So I'm thinking about doing popcorn at the ceremony. The programs would be printed on the back of the popcorn bags ( the bags would be vintage, navy blue and red colored like this). This way it gives the guests a snack ( we have a few kids there) and they can throw it at the end of the ceremony. Click here to see someone else's wedding where they did this.

What are everyones thoughts? Too silly? To informal? Cute? I'm not to sure at the moment. I really like it and the FI think it would work but my mother thought it might be silly to have popcorn. Note that there are only 18 of us so its a small group.

Thanks! Now I'm off to return the favour and anwser some other bride's concern.

Re: Popcorn Ceremony

• Options
    I think it sounds good the only cautions I can think of are:

-crunchy pop corn sounds during vows, which may not be a big deal.

-butter/oil getting on hands then people hugging you getting it on your dress.
    November 2011 Siggy Challenge: The First Kiss
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    Good point with the oil....but will be sure to use no  butter. Could you imagine 4 kids with buttery hands? haha
  • Options
    I think all the crunching during the ceremony would be very distracting. Plus I don't think I'm sold about throwing popcorn on the newly married couple ... as a guest I'd be very hesitant to go with that one.

If you're set on having popcorn at the ceremony though, what about printing the ceremony on the bags and hand out the bags empty/flattened before the ceremony with a cute little note to fill up their bags post-ceremony (maybe tie in with something cutesy, "After filling up on love, fill up this bag with popcorn after the ceremony!"). After the ceremony, the guests can have their bags filled with popcorn and maybe be offered a drink ... water/champagne/etc.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_popcorn-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:a26d8c01-2305-485f-8551-1f38bbd4bdcbPost:e598d1d7-ce5d-4d00-81ee-e78c776551a1">Re: Popcorn Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think all the crunching during the ceremony would be very distracting. Plus I don't think I'm sold about throwing popcorn on the newly married couple ... <strong>as a guest I'd be very hesitant to go with that one.</strong> If you're set on having popcorn at the ceremony though, what about printing the ceremony on the bags and hand out the bags empty/flattened before the ceremony with a cute little note to fill up their bags post-ceremony (maybe tie in with something cutesy, "After filling up on love, fill up this bag with popcorn after the ceremony!"). After the ceremony, the guests can have their bags filled with popcorn and maybe be offered a drink ... water/champagne/etc.
    Posted by pattib5[/QUOTE]

I would too, but only because I would have eaten all of it before the end of the ceremony, lol.
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    Maybe you could use make popcorn strands and use them as decoration (like some people put on Christmas trees).

I personally love popcorn. I think it'd be cool
    June 16, 2012
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_popcorn-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:a26d8c01-2305-485f-8551-1f38bbd4bdcbPost:e598d1d7-ce5d-4d00-81ee-e78c776551a1">Re: Popcorn Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think all the crunching during the ceremony would be very distracting. Plus I don't think I'm sold about throwing popcorn on the newly married couple ... as a guest I'd be very hesitant to go with that one. <strong>If you're set on having popcorn at the ceremony though, what about printing the ceremony on the bags and hand out the bags empty/flattened before the ceremony with a cute little note to fill up their bags post-ceremony (maybe tie in with something cutesy, "After filling up on love, fill up this bag with popcorn after the ceremony!"). After the ceremony, the guests can have their bags filled with popcorn and maybe be offered a drink ... water/champagne/etc.</strong>
    Posted by pattib5[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>That's a cute idea!  

</div>
  • Options
    Popcorn is the one food I am not lady like when eating...something else to think about.
    Fall Wedding Bio
  • Options
    I'm also doing a circus/carnival/fair theme for my wedding. You could always use air popped popcorn instead of oil. The poppers are cheaper also. I'm not having it in my ceremony since I am having LOTS of kids and I think it would be distracting. I actually gave each kid attending something special to be a part of in the ceremony so they are paying more attention to doing that one thing right or looking forward to participating in their own way rather than squirming in their chair.

I'm having Popcorn after the ceremony while to room is switched to tables and outside people are playing carnival games. I bought a very large tin bucket and I'm popping the popcorn the same day before hand and putting it in there. I have a "Carni" (all my helpers are dressed as carni's) manning the station to fill the bags of popcorn. I too can't afford renting a maker.

I like the idea of printing the programs on the bags and having them filled after!
    I lurched you forever my buffalo!
  • Options
    thanks guys! I really like the thoughts you all put out. Popcorn after might be fun too! We love the stuff so I wouldn't be to sad if everyone ate before the end. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_popcorn-ceremony?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:a26d8c01-2305-485f-8551-1f38bbd4bdcbPost:ebe2a068-b107-4e44-995f-6c1f9cd6befb">Re: Popcorn Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it sounds good the only cautions I can think of are: -crunchy pop corn sounds during vows, which may not be a big deal. -butter/oil getting on hands then people hugging you getting it on your dress.
    Posted by TiffannieF[/QUOTE]

I think the ceremony would be an odd place for it because of these reasons. Maybe for an afterceremony snack at the ceremony venue???

May 2012 July Siggy: Favorite Vacation Spot Kaleden, BC
    July Fave Vacation Spot photo IMG_0268-1.jpg

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    My Blog:Through My Eyes

• Options
    What about decorating with these popcorn pomanders and some popcorn strand garlands?

http://www.austinweddingblog.com/2010/05/diy-wedding-popcorn-pomanders.html
    This shows pink but they can easily be left natural/white colored.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards