North Dakota
Options

Auctioning the Garter/Dollar Dance

What are your thoughts on auctioning the garter and the dollar dance?  Should we do them at the wedding dance or are these both out of date and tacky?  My finance and I are trying to decide if this is acceptable now days since our guests have already brought a gift to the wedding.  Please help us out!

Re: Auctioning the Garter/Dollar Dance

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We have been trying to figure out the same thing. We decided that we are going to do the dollar dance, but we are not going to auction the garter
  • Options
    edited December 2011

i dont think either is out of date.  ive been to weddings where they still do it.  we're not doing the dollar dance because we both feel its awkward and we're uncomfrtable with it.  i'm not sure about the garter yet because he doesnt want to take it off.  i'm thinking of just wearing it then when it's time to auction it off, just have me take it off instead of my fiance.  but if you dont mind the dollar dance or the auctioning of the garter, i say go for it!!

Photobucket Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the garter tradition is outdated and we wont be doing it.
    As far as the dollar dance, it's a huge tradition here. And since our wedding is almost all family and they'll expect it, we're definatley doing it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree the dollar dance is a big tradition around this area. I don't think I've ever been to a ND wedding where they didn't do it! I also think the garter raffel is fun. Sell a bunch of tickets for a buck. It's more fun for the competition/excitement of winning than getting money!! I
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    erikawolferikawolf member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like the Dollar Dance because you get to dance with a whole bunch of different people quickly. For the garter, I have seen musical chairs. I participated as a bridesmaid and had a great time. We had 12 or so people playing. The DJ needs to be on board with this. It was one of the highlights of the dance for me and I took a major spill and skinned my ankle. The winner (male or female) gets the garter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards