Military Brides

hi ladies!

i've never posted on this board before, because well... i'm not a military bride... YET! i'm getting married november 7th. and FI leaves for bootcamp the 16th. so i'm ready to hear how AWESOME military life is :]]... or not so awesome haha

Re: hi ladies!

• ishatagishatag member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! You are so almost married!! You must be going crazy. Where in Idaho are you? My FI is from WAY northern Idaho it is so beautiful!Military life is awesomely hard. I honestly don't know how anyone does it, except that you just do! I've been doing it so long I just roll with the punches, but I still have that voice in my head going"What?? Seriously?"I wish you all the best!
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I'm just learning about military life, too - I will be married this April (into the Air Force). Right now I am waiting very impatiently to find out where we will be stationed after the wedding. They say we are supposed to find out on Oct. 31, so we're just counting down the days now. What branch is your FI in?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    "awesomely hard" Yep, that 'bout sums it up. But I wouldn't have it any other way. Congrats on the upcoming wedding!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats! PP is absolutely right, its awesomely hard, but completely worth it :-) I'm feeling the awesomely hard already and FI isn't even contracted yet (he's ROTC).
  • edited December 2011
    thankss everyone :]] he just joined the army. we are pretty excited about it... not the whole being apart for like 6 months.. but better get used to it right haha
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a silver lining kinda girl and I look at the time apart like this: We appreciate our time together on a deeper level because we know what it's like to not be with each other. I think we might take time together for granted if we weren't forced to be a part so often.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm active duty Coast Guard and so is my FI, so we've got it doubly hard with us both being active duty enlisted, but we're making it work. Taking each day at a time. We've lived about 5,000 miles apart for the past four months, but in two weeks I'm moving to where he's stationed to be with him (too bad he'll be deployed for another month after I get there LOL). I completely agree with pp's, it is probably the hardest thing you'll ever go through, and most likely won't get any easier. But, it's so worth it in the end. You'll be married to an honorable, loving man who is devoted to you. I will caution you that living in base housing is like living in a fishbowl. Everyone's up in your business, talking about you. You have to grow a thick skin to deal with stuff like that. Also, I will warn you that there will come a time where you're smack-dab in the middle of a deployment, and the temptation to cheat will present itself. I don't mean to say this judgingly, I'm just saying that I've seen it happen all too often, and it destroys families and marriages. The divorce rate in the military is extremely high. Just remember that your husband needs you to be supportive and loving, and that you two are in this together. Rely on your female friends who are also married to the military. Have chat sessions where you discuss hopes and fears and plans for the future. That'll help get through the tough times during deployments.  
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • edited December 2011
    thanks for the advice girls :]] GOODLUCK WITH EVERYONES WEDDING!! i'll probably keep peeking back!
  • edited December 2011
    i can def relate to this. my FI is joining the AF, his training will begin in DEC. and the wedding is going to be next year once he gets back. we still dont have the exact date of training deployment or the day he'll come back so we havent set an actual date, but preperations are still under way :]
  • kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Aw! Congrats! Military life is...interesting to say the least. I hated boot camp. It was super lame. 13 weeks of not talking was not fun. But I wrote him everyday, and it was ridiculous how excited I got when I got a letter from him. Just make sure your friends understand you might be a basket case for a little while, and they need to be understanding! Your wedding is soon! That's exciting!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kaynix21kaynix21 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh...and the whole uniform thing is a nice perk.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hi! Ive never posted on this particular board before but now and then read a few posts. FI and I have been together for about 4 years. He is an Army SSgt and been deployed twice since we have been together. 4 times total. I have 2 kids from a previous relationship and together we have a beautiful baby girl who was born 7 weeks before he left this past deployment. I feel like I have some advice here. Its overwhelming at first. For me it was. So many little things to try and remember. But, you get used to it and like everything else, it becomes life and what you know. Deployments are very tough but you learn a lot about who you are, how much you can handle, and how strong you really are. I, in addition to 2 boys and a newborn, received Cancer treatments while he was deployed last year and had to go at it alone. Somehow I did it. I surprised myself and at this point, am ok. It makes you appreciate so much more the time you get together and in my opinion, strengthens your love. You find people that know what you are going through and it helps. It also has its finer points as well, seeing him in that uniform everyday! lol Honey, that's enough for me! We aren't married yet, but have gone through so many life changing events together already that we have been a strong family for some time. Congrats and Best Wishes!!
  • edited December 2011
    WHILE DEPLOYED  we always plan a trip.  He likes to decompress when he gets back and it gives us something else to look forward to.  We email back and forth  "what about this place? or that one?  Then start booking the hotel and airfare... come to think of it, it's perfect for the bride experiencing wedding planning withdrawl. Good luck.  My FI may be leaving shortly after the wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards