Military Brides

Little Language Poll

Tell me what words you us!

Soda or Pop?
Buggie or Shopping cart?
Dinner or Supper?
Spigot or Faucet?

What other words do you say that are uncommon?
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Little Language Poll

• Pop, shopping cart, fountain, and both. I broke the habit but "yous guys" is a buffalo thing. We also say "the" before highways and stuff. We are getting on "the 90". Instead of just interstate 95 or take 95. It would be take the 90. But I don't do it here. It's weird
  • I read wrong. We did not include bubbler or fountain. I say faucet.
  • Soda or Pop? Pop
    Buggie or Shopping cart?  Shopping cart
    Dinner or Supper?  Dinner
    Spigot or Faucet?  Faucet

Sneakers or tennis shoes?  Sneakers
    Sucker or lollipop?  Sucker
    Purse or handbag? Purse
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Soda or Pop? Soda
    Spigot or Faucet?  On the sink?  Faucet.  Where you drink in public places?  Bubbler

Sucker or lollipop?  Lollipop
    Purse or handbag? Purse

Anniversary

• Sneakers, sucker, and purse.
  • Soda or Pop? Soda
    Spigot or Faucet?  On the sink?  Faucet.  Where you drink in public places?  Fountain

Sucker or lollipop?  Lollipop
    Purse or handbag? Purse

Sara, what IS with that "the" thing. Haha my friend's husband is always talking about getting on the 95.
  • Hahahaha Irish I dont know! I don't do it here, but I do when talking about buffalo highways. Isn't that weird?
  • Soda or Pop? Soda
    Buggie or Shopping cart? Shopping cart
    Dinner or Supper? Dinner
    Spigot or Faucet? Faucet
    Sneakers or tennis shoes?  Tennis Shoes
    Sucker or lollipop?  Sucker
    Purse or handbag? Purse
  • Ok riddle me this. What if youre not playing tennis???? Where did that phrase come from? Haha that always confused me.
  • Soda or Pop? Neither it is all "Coke" as in I want either a coke, diet coke or Sprite.  Since Coke is in near by Alt everything is Coke and that is what most places here sale.  Unless you get the "Is Pepsi ok?" 
    Buggie or Shopping cart? Buggie
    Dinner or Supper? Dinner = Sunday Lunch and Supper = the meal you eat at night. 
    Spigot or Faucet? Spigot for outside, facuet for at the sink and water fountian is what you drink out of.
    Sneakers or tennis shoes?  tennis shoes
    Sucker or lollipop?Sucker
    Purse or handbag? Purse but all older ladies I know call it a handbag so when I am 70 I will call it a hand bag. 

Y'all can be used for one person or for a group of people.  HAA or there is an "All Y'all" for a group of people and you want to make sure everyone knows it is the group. 

• Soda or Pop? Coke.

For example "Can you pick me up some coke?" "What kind?" "Dr Pepper" This is really popular in Oklahoma for some reason.

Buggie or Shopping cart? Shopping Cart
    Dinner or Supper? Dinner
    Spigot or Faucet? Faucet
    Sucker or lollipop?  lollipop
    Purse or handbag? Purse

Oklahoma City = The City" No matter where you are are in Oklahoma.
    Photobucket
  • ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012
    Ohhhh and people automatically assume I'm from NYC or close to it. Even though buffalo is 8 hrs away.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:85ab8c73-f970-4f11-a5e6-24d353f4f684">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Soda or Pop? Neither it is all "Coke" as in I want either a coke, diet coke or Sprite.   Since Coke is in near by Alt everything is Coke and that is what most places here sale.  Unless you get the "Is Pepsi ok</strong>?"  Buggie or Shopping cart? Buggie Dinner or Supper? Dinner = Sunday Lunch and Supper = the meal you eat at night.  Spigot or Faucet? Spigot for outside, facuet for at the sink and water fountian is what you drink out of. Sneakers or tennis shoes?  tennis shoes Sucker or lollipop? Sucker Purse or handbag? Purse but all older ladies I know call it a handbag so when I am 70 I will call it a hand bag.  Y'all can be used for one person or for a group of people.  HAA or there is an "All Y'all" for a group of people and you want to make sure everyone knows it is the group. 
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

I'm glad I'm not the only person that does that... HA
    Photobucket
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:500ccf03-92c2-46a6-8982-4dd511a4f2cb">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ok riddle me this. What if youre not playing tennis???? Where did that phrase come from? Haha that always confused me.
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

Huh?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:85ab8c73-f970-4f11-a5e6-24d353f4f684">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Soda or Pop? Neither it is all "Coke" as in I want either a coke, diet coke or Sprite.   Since Coke is in near by Alt everything is Coke and that is what most places here sale.  Unless you get the "Is Pepsi ok?"  Buggie or Shopping cart? Buggie Dinner or Supper? Dinner = Sunday Lunch and Supper = the meal you eat at night.  Spigot or Faucet? Spigot for outside, facuet for at the sink and water fountian is what you drink out of. Sneakers or tennis shoes?  tennis shoes Sucker or lollipop? Sucker Purse or handbag? <strong>Purse but all older ladies I know call it a handbag so when I am 70 I will call it a hand bag.</strong>  Y'all can be used for one person or for a group of people.  HAA or there is an "All Y'all" for a group of people and you want to make sure everyone knows it is the group. 
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]
    I like how you're planning for this! :)
  • CozyHeart13CozyHeart13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    Soda or Pop? I grew up calling it Pop, but after 4+ years in SC, I call it soda unless I'm back home with the fam
    Buggie or Shopping cart?  Shopping cart - the south will not win this one! The sign says to return "shopping carts" here - NOT buggies!
    Spigot or Faucet?  On the sink?  Faucet.  Where you drink in public places?  Fountain
    Sneakers or tennis shoes?  I usually just call them shoes - if I'm being specific I call them PT shoes
    Sucker or lollipop?  Sucker
    Purse or handbag? Purse

• Soda or Pop? I say both interchangeably
    Dinner or Supper? Dinner (but do say supper sometimes)
    Spigot or Faucet? Faucet
    Sneakers or tennis shoes?  Tennies
    Sucker or lollipop? Sucker
    Purse or handbag? Purse
    Water fountain or bubbler? Fountain
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:44ae2776-34cd-4073-901d-7b9cf571a6b4">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Little Language Poll : I like how you're planning for this! :)
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

HAA yeah I got to plan.  :)
  • Soda or Pop? I say Soda or Coke. I make fun of my boss who says "Pop" cause that's just so unheard of here in CA! It sounds cute lol!
    Dinner or Supper? Dinner
    Spigot or Faucet? Faucet (never even heard of spigot!)
    Sneakers or tennis shoes?  Tennies (I don't get why, either. I don't play tennis!)
    Purse or handbag? Purse
    Water fountain or bubbler? Fountain

Also, I say "The 57/91/60" for my freeways, too! Ha ha!
  • Soda or Pop? Pop
    Buggie or Shopping cart? Buggie
    Dinner or Supper? Supper
    Spigot or Faucet? Spigot
    Sneakers or tennis shoes? Tennies
    Purse or handbag? Purse
    Water fountain or bubbler? Neither?

I also say gumband, yinz, jumbo (bologna), clicker for remote, blinkers (turn signal), cinders (tiny rocks on the road), jaggerbush, and Kennywoods open (zipper down).

I also have a pretty heavy Pittsburgh accent. I say the same thing for pool, pole, and pull. I also say mile an hour and marinara the same.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Othe people don't say blinkers??? I do. Huh.
  • Cab and I are pretty much on the same page but where the heck.did you get tennies??? Its sneakers! Lol also, I say both sucker and lollipop. And of course we refer to freeways as "the." Yay for Cali! It's SODA!! Lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:798fc9ae-f8bf-4c79-ab77-3108edcf147e">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Soda or Pop? Pop Buggie or Shopping cart? Buggie Dinner or Supper? Supper Spigot or Faucet? Spigot Sneakers or tennis shoes? Tennies Sucker or lollipop? Sucker Purse or handbag? Purse Water fountain or bubbler? Neither? I also say gumband, yinz, jumbo (bologna), clicker for remote, <strong>blinkers (turn signal</strong>), cinders (tiny rocks on the road), jaggerbush, and Kennywoods open (zipper down). I also have a pretty heavy Pittsburgh accent. I say the same thing for pool, pole, and pull. I also say mile an hour and marinara the same.
    Posted by LetsHikeToday[/QUOTE]

I say blinker too. As in "hey a$$ hole?! Would it really fuckin kill to to use your blinker before cutting me off?!!"
  • Soda or Pop? Soda
    Buggie or Shopping cart? Shopping cart (unless I'm in Canada, then it's a buggie)
    Dinner or Supper? Dinner
    Spigot or Faucet? Spigot for outdoor hose hook-ups, faucet for what's on the kitchen/bathroom sink
    Sneakers or tennis shoes? I just call them running shoes. Sometimes I call them trainers or sneakers.
    Sucker or lollipop? Both. The large, flat swirly ones are always lollipops, though.
    Purse or handbag? Purse
    Water fountain or bubbler? I call it a water fountain or drinking fountain, unless I'm on a ship and we call it a "scuttlebutt".

What other words do you say that are uncommon? I say "crick" instead of "creek".

We did something similar to this on SB where we all had the same list of words to read off and then posted the video to YouTube. It was about six months ago, it was really fun.
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
  • edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:d26d4a74-d8b9-4705-b694-694d6bf7e4a4">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Soda or Pop? Soda Buggie or Shopping cart? Shopping cart (unless I'm in Canada, then it's a buggie) Dinner or Supper? Dinner Spigot or Faucet? Spigot for outdoor hose hook-ups, faucet for what's on the kitchen/bathroom sink Sneakers or tennis shoes? I just call them running shoes. Sometimes I call them trainers or sneakers. Sucker or lollipop? Both. The large, flat swirly ones are always lollipops, though. Purse or handbag? Purse Water fountain or bubbler? I call it a water fountain or drinking fountain, unless I'm on a ship and we call it a "scuttlebutt". What other words do you say that are uncommon? I say "crick" instead of "creek". We did something similar to this on<strong> SB where we all had the same list of words to read off and then posted the video to YouTube. It was about six months ago, it was really fun.
    </strong>Posted by mehgank[/QUOTE]
    Hee hee I remember that, and I remember that because I did not participate, I did not feel right about looking at the videos like a creeper. I think I saw Any's and that was it.
  • Ahhh mehg, I say crick too! There's a place in my hometown that we call caz crick. It does not deserve to be called a creek. At all.
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited January 2012

I'm from the South.  It's all Coke.  For the sake of my Yankee friends (that's what we call anyone not from the South.  NY, Mass, California, you are all Yankees) I say Soda.  Pop just doesn't sound nice.  It's a harsh sounding word in most accents. 

Buggie

Breakfast, lunch/supper, dinner

A spigot is on the side of your house and you hook a water hose to it.  A faucet is connected to a sink.

sucker, tennis shoes/running shoes, water fountain

The thing that sucks the dirt off your floor is called a vacume.  I have friends from up north who call it a sweeper.  What exactly is it sweeping? 

I say sub, not hogie or hero

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:81e660ad-02f0-4ff6-ba26-82273863d6cc">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm from the South.  It's all Coke.  For the sake of my Yankee friends (that's what we call anyone not from the South.  NY, Mass, California, <strong>you are all Yankees</strong>) I say Soda.  Pop just doesn't sound nice.  It's a harsh sounding word in most accents.  Buggie Breakfast, lunch/supper, dinner A spigot is on the side of your house and you hook a water hose to it.  A facet is connected to a sink. The thing that sucks the dirt off your floor is called a vacume.  I have friends from up north who call it a sweeper.  What exactly is it sweeping? <strong> I say sub, not hogie or hero
    </strong>Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]

Who you callin' a Yankee! ;)
    I also say Subs, but that's probably because I worked at Subway. That's right, you have a sandwich artist in the house! Ha ha!
  • CozyHeart13CozyHeart13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012

One that gets me is sweatshirt v. sweater. To me, a sweater is something that is knitted (is that even a word?) and a sweatshirt is something that is a thick jersey like material. Not sure how to explain it - but hoodies are sweatshirts, not sweaters, to me.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_little-language-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:23341e86-2b2e-42c2-abf4-e1ff24733f9cPost:b8579568-a9d8-44ef-bae8-66d27aa4d67b">Re: Little Language Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Little Language Poll : Hee hee I remember that, and I remember that because I did not participate, I did not feel right about looking at the videos like a creeper. I think I saw Any's and that was it.
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

I didn't have a YouTube account back then, so I wound up posting mine on FB and then only allowing the SB girls to see it. I made it way too complicated lol.

What I've noticed about people from the Pacific Northwest (where I grew up) is we say "these/those ones" instead of just saying "these/those". As in, "I think I like these shoes better than those ones".
    25 in 2012 Reading Progress: 11/25 (44% toward goal)
    my currently-reading shelf:
    Mehgan's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (currently-reading shelf)
    Photobucket
    "Are you one of those vegetarian zombies that only eats grrrrrraaaaaaiiiinnnnnsssss?" -- raynes
    **FOR SALE NOW**
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards