Military Brides
Options

Photographer issues

Ok, here's the deal.  Found our photographer through an ad on craigslist.  His style is incredible, everything we've been looking for, right in our price point.  He mentioned he was rebuilding his photography business after splitting up with his wife; they had a husband-wife photography business together.

I found out today that the old husband-wife photography business got some really bad reviews.  Like, people lost deposits right around the time the business/marriage imploded.  But all the bad reviews specifically mention it was the wife that scammed them, and that he was pleasant to work with but as he had left the business and they were contracted with his wife, there was little he could do.

So I'm a little worried, sure, but the optimist in me wants to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe he really *is* trying to rebuild his photography business.  We met with him several times and I made him jump through quite a few hoops before we booked with him and put down the deposit (which, thankfully, was the minimum 20%, or $240, like my FI insisted we put down instead of the grand I wanted to drop). 

The plan right now is to utilize him for our engagement pictures this summer, which come with the package we had selected.  If anything's even remotely "off" we'll just break the contract and only be out the $240, which is what I would have expected to pay for an engagement session around here anyway, and it won't be the worst thing in the world if that shoot gets messed up.  But I wanted to get some additional advice/thoughts about CYA and everything. 

Discuss.

Re: Photographer issues

• Options
    I think that sounds like a good plan. Especially since you already handed over the deposit.
  • Options
    So you're just concerned over bad reviews? That's legit, I'm just trying to get the full picture. You have an e-shoot scheduled? I think you're right on with seeing how this shoot goes. After ours, I felt 100% more confident and comfortable with our photog. We got the proofs in a timely manner, had a bunch of great shots we liked, etc. If you find him distracted, or hard to get in touch with, or sketchy in any way, let alone get bad shots (or no shots) then absolutely cancel. It can't hurt to start perusing the interwebs again for people in your price range, maybe email a few to check availibility in a few months....keep your options open basically. 
  • Options
    I think it sounds like a good plan.  I'd also address your concerns with him and see what he has to say for himself.  Let him know you're concerned.  Also, get absolutely everything in writing.  Pay for anything you can with a credit card - if he's hesitant, ask him to set up a PayPal account so you can pay him that way with a credit card.  If you don't get what you pay for, under the Consumer Protection Act, the credit card company will refund your money for services paid for but not received and then THEY will go after the vendor.  It's a good idea to pay for as much as possible with a credit card (and immediately pay it off) for this reason.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards