Military Brides

Women At War

I found this article and thought you ladies might like it... Food for thought really..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110530/ap_on_re_us/us_women_at_war

Comments? Anyone?
Photobucket

Re: Women At War

• kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I read that earlier, I think it's pretty interesting. 

I personally am not in any real rush to see it in the way I was to see DADT repealed. I'm not exactly sure why, I guess because I see being a woman as a substantially greater difference from being a man, and I don't see homosexuality as being a significant difference at all from being heterosexual (i.e. no new quarters need to be built on subs and the like). I think women who can pass all the necessary examinations (physical, etc.) should be able to serve wherever. I just think making those changes in a time of war has too many barriers (like the sub changes). 

Repealing DADT basically changed absolutely nothing, except that we're not kicking out people we need over nothing.

Putting women in combat is going to create a whole slew of new policies, bureaucratic positions in the military (like the more senior than O1 female officers on subs to be mentors), and is going to necessitate the overhaul of a lot of physical buildings, ships, training grounds, etc. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    As a former soldier, I do believe that SOME areas should be opened up for us to be able to serve.  Not all.  I do believe that regular infantry units should be open for us to serve in.  Hell, as a feild MP, my unit did everything that an infantry unit did and more.  I believe that Spec Ops aviation units should be opened up for females.  I believe that it could happen in the near future.  I believe that units like the SEALS and Rangers will open up support roles for women one day, but not for a very long time. 

Like the article says, there are women in support roles in some Spec Ops units.  For instance, one of the top SOF units (I'll not name it) has a female veteranarian to care for their dogs.  She's pretty BA.  I have a lot of respect for her, so do the men that work along side her. 
    Females in the military have come a long way over the years, but we still have a long way to go.  There are a lot of stereo types of us out there.  There are too many of us who are shooting our selves in the feet.  We have to work harder to prove our selves because of the few bad examples out there.  For those of you in or wanting to join, always remember that you represent all of us, past, present and future. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards