Military Brides

Purple Heart/WWP theme?

My fiance and I were originally planning a wedding for later on this year, with the colors of royal blue and silver.  However, his med board process started (finally). . .and now he can't leave Hawaii (where we're both stationed) until it is completed.  Since I'm ETSing, we decided to take advantage of the scenery here and have a small ceremony here and save the big wedding for 2013.  When shopping for a suit, and some flowers, the colors royal blue and silver appeared.  
  We started talking about ideas for 2013, do we use the same colors, etc. . .I brought up basing our wedding around The Purple Heart (he has 4), and The Wounded Warrior Project which he is an alumni of  (I'll pause here before I go on about how proud of him I am and all his accomplishments).  He liked that idea very much. . .but now the issue is how to build a classy/elegant wedding around The Purple Heart and WWP without being "kitchy".  Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Purple Heart/WWP theme?

• Honestly I would just do purple and black for colors since those are the colors of those. FI has 2 purple hearts and also experience with WWP but he wouldn't want that as a theme for our wedding. He's very proud of what he did but he wouldn't want the day to be about his service and injury. I wouldn't do too much of that for your theme. You could donate to WWP instead of favors (but don't announce it). Things like that
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2012
    I'm not trying to be mean or anything but, IMO, I wouldn't make it your theme at all.  At the most, I would donate to the WWP.  There are differing opinions of whether you should replace the favor with a donation to a foundation of some sort.  A wedding just doesn't seem like a good place to focus on a Purple Heart and make a big deal of it (or even 4 of them for that matter).  In MH's words, someone else probably died so that he (MH) could stand there and receive that award (any combat related award).  Sure it's a badge of honor but is it really something to make a big deal of like that?

ETA: I'm not saying you couldn't do the color combo that Katelyn suggested.  I would just be really subtle about it.  There are other ways to honor service, duty, sacrifice, etc. without being overtly obvious about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_purple-heartwwp-theme?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:2f1d4003-2baf-461f-91dd-da0c981cae54Post:1b381570-7ebb-418b-9bb6-a31c12849742">Re: Purple Heart/WWP theme?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm not trying to be mean or anything but, IMO, I wouldn't make it your theme at all.  At the most, I would donate to the WWP.  There are differing opinions of whether you should replace the favor with a donation to a foundation of some sort.  A wedding just doesn't seem like a good place to focus on a Purple Heart and make a big deal of it (or even 4 of them for that matter).  In MH's words, someone else probably died so that he (MH) could stand there and receive that award (any combat related award).  Sure it's a badge of honor but is it really something to make a big deal of like that? ETA: I'm not saying you couldn't do the color combo that Katelyn suggested.  I would just be really subtle about it.  <strong>There are other ways to honor service, duty, sacrifice, etc. without being overtly obvious about it. </strong> 
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]
    This completely. Also it's both of your day so it doesn't need to be all about his job if that makes sense
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards