Military Brides

Just got engaged, both in military

So I just got engaged. My Fiance and I are both active duty and are planning on getting married sometime in 2014 mainly because I'm going to be using almost all my leave in a few months to meet his family and visit my family. We want a pretty good size wedding. Here's the catch, we will only be in town to physically be there for the planning for 2 weeks this year and the next time we go will be for the actual wedding, which we can't necessarily set a date just yet because we don't know where he's getting PCSed to, and whether or not he'll be on deployment. Any advice or suggestions on any of this?

Re: Just got engaged, both in military

• Welcome! First, I would change your username from your email address for privacy purposes. The Knot doesn't let you change names so you will have to recreate an account. 

It is totally possible to do this! Do you have someone you trust in the town where the wedding is that will help you out? That will definitely make things easier. I would definitely research vendors online and read recommendations, as well as ask people in that town you trust. Then maybe you can send someone to go look at venues and take pictures for you. I planned my wedding from Buffalo, and it was in Florida. My sister went and researched venues for me. My parents were down there part of the time and met with the DJ for me after I already had contacted him through phone and email. I was able to meet my photographer in person once, but I had already decided on him before that anyway. I basically just read a lot a lot a lot of reviews online. My sister asked around to people that she knew in the area for other recommendations. 

Also, when you do pick a date, get a military clause, that basically states it will let you out of that date with no consequences (or something like that, I didn't use, but other ladies can tell you exactly what it should say). That will cover you if something does happen and you can't get married on your chosen date. 

You are on the right track waiting until he gets to his duty station and has his deployment schedule. That's what H and I did and we had no problems with the date we picked. 

I wrote a novel, but I hope this helps some. If you have questions, feel free to ask here! The board is dead usually but someone is always around to help. 
  • I ditto the suggestion to change your SN.  

I also agree that this can totally be done.  I would suggest finding a great planner/coordinator to be a go between for you.  Look for someone with great reviews and make sure it is someone you mesh with.  Go ahead and look at venues and pick your cakes while you are home.  Tasting is the best part.  Have fun with it and try not to stress too much.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_just-got-engaged-both-in-military?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:38244333-6886-401a-8f7a-47f3c71b5a7aPost:3bd7c982-cd67-4235-bf1e-2f5e5de3bb7f">Just got engaged, both in military</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I just got engaged. My Fiance and I are both active duty and are planning on getting married sometime in 2014 mainly because I'm going to be using almost all my leave in a few months to meet his family and visit my family. We want a pretty good size wedding. Here's the catch, we will only be in town to physically be there for the planning for 2 weeks this year and the next time we go will be for the actual wedding, which we can't necessarily set a date just yet because we don't know where he's getting PCSed to, and whether or not he'll be on deployment. Any advice or suggestions on any of this?
    Posted by jessdel2000@yahoo.com[/QUOTE]

<div>Try to look for free weddings.... Operation Marry Me Military is an AWESOME one!!! <a href="http://www.operationmmm.com" rel="nofollow">www.operationmmm.com</a></div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards