Military Brides

AW: FI's promotion

We had a great time on Friday, and he's officially a 1st Lt!  The OSO here is really cool, just moved to the post and is the same age as FI (he's a Captain).  A lot of people came out to support FI, which is really nice as he basically is a law student right now so being a Marine is something super important to him, he spends 15+ hours per week working out to stay in shape and improve his PFT, but not something he wears literally on his shoulder every day, so it meant a lot to him that his friend and classmates came out to show respect for that side of his life.

In typical Marine fashion, we all went out to a bar afterwards (I was DD).  The OSO kept telling FI that it was likely they'd get their drinks paid for - I think he overestimated the level of patriotism in Miami.  They paid for all of their own drinks.

At one point, a girl dressed up in a very slutty costume (school girl) came up and said to one of the very drunk Marines, "Are you, like, a real Marine or something?"  And he said, "Yes, I'm a real Marine.  Are you a real hooker?"  HAHAHA!

Here's a few pics:

(FI is on the right, OSO on the left)

Me pinning on his new silver bars

Right afterwards

The guys being goofy at the bar

Anniversary

Re: AW: FI's promotion

• edited December 2011
    Congrats to FI!!! It looks like y'all had a great time.  That is awesome that everyone came out to show support. 

The story about the "school girl" made me just about spit diet coke all over my computer screen.  That is awesome.

Oh and by the way, I love your dress! Super cute!
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! I hope H gets selected for promotion soon so I can pin new rank on. 

Also, I think I like your FI. Lol @ real hooker. 
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats C's FI!!   

Yeah, I think people overestimate the patriotism in a lot of areas.  H always hears stories of people buying all the drinks when you're in uniform, but it's never happened to him.  He's only been once or twice after events, but yeah it didn't happen.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    We were shocked at the response to the military in Tampa this weekend!  We got into basically everything for free where there was cover charges (or um, park admissions fees!) and people bought us free drinks, and nearly anyone would just stop and chat.  So very, very different than Miami!

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    Congratulations!  That is awesome that so many people came to support him.  Sounds like you all had a fun time afterwards too! :)
    Photobucket
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats to your FI! Great pictures too and I agree with Stan, LOL to the hooker thing. 
  • bltatabltata member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats to your Fi!  It's awesome that you were able to pin him.

It's weird because some places my fi goes he gets everything paid for, other places people couldn't care less.  They were on a post in a sleepy little town in the middle of nowhere for the week before they deployed, and some guys in his unit went to a local bar and got everything paid for.  The locals kept buying pitcher after pitcher.  I had never seen so much support, it was kind of humbling.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_aw-fis-promotion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:63fedb5b-5ea4-4c10-afd0-220ed205ab0dPost:c7ec23c0-35c3-4874-b381-9b5d12863174">Re: AW: FI's promotion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congrats to your Fi!  It's awesome that you were able to pin him. It's weird because some places my fi goes he gets everything paid for, other places people couldn't care less.  <strong>They were on a post in a sleepy little town in the middle of nowhere for the week before they deployed, and some guys in his unit went</strong> to a local bar and got everything paid for.  The locals kept buying pitcher after pitcher.  I had never seen so much support, it was kind of humbling.
    Posted by bltata[/QUOTE]

From our experience, the places that tend to throw free stuff at you will be places that aren't near any posts/bases/arsenals/ports. Places that probably have retired military, but no active duty.. It's kind of a treat for a lot of people in those small towns.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_aw-fis-promotion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:63fedb5b-5ea4-4c10-afd0-220ed205ab0dPost:61e8ce3f-d63d-4204-8cb6-1f87bb1d1e56">Re: AW: FI's promotion</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: AW: FI's promotion : From our experience, the places that tend to throw free stuff at you will be places that aren't near any posts/bases/arsenals/ports. Places that probably have retired military, but no active duty.. It's kind of a treat for a lot of people in those small towns.
    Posted by firsttimersluck[/QUOTE]

Yep! Anywhere I was ever stationed, the locals were generally less than pleased about military drinking, but when I would come home, or go visit somewhere else, stuff would "appear" at my table.  Oh! and when I was at the Airport leaving boot camp, the guy behind me in line paid for my coffee.  It was nice.

C-You look so pretty!! Congrats to your FI!! 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    H got free TV on a Frontier flight because the Flight Attendant noticed his boots tied to his backpack. (He only wore his uniform during travel while he was a C4C at the AFA). He still gets embarrassed when people thank him for his service. Although we always walk up to members in uniform and thank them.
  • calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_aw-fis-promotion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:63fedb5b-5ea4-4c10-afd0-220ed205ab0dPost:40d5172e-01c3-4419-a8fc-bfc5c12c7cb5">Re: AW: FI's promotion</a>:
    [QUOTE]H got free TV on a Frontier flight because the Flight Attendant noticed his boots tied to his backpack. (He only wore his uniform during travel while he was a C4C at the AFA). He still gets embarrassed when people thank him for his service. Although we always walk up to members in uniform and thank them.
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

FI hates it!  He gets all awkward because (in his words) he "doesn't do it for the gratitude of strangers".  Though he's the first one to thank a veteran for their service, I think he feels like he doesn't deserve it yet as he hasn't deployed.  I get that, but I think it's also just that he feels awkward with the attention in general and probably always will.

Anniversary

• ggirl2001ggirl2001 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    H doesn't like it either. But he's naturally shy to begin with. He also has never been, and if he doesn't stay in, will never be to a combat zone for deployment so he doesn't like it for that reason either.  
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah... H isn't a fan.. He doesn't feel he is worthy of it since he's not a ground guy... He always thanks others, but feels so awkward when he is thanked, and very rarely accepts anything, and when he does it's because he doesn't want to seem rude by turning whatever it is away.
  • janeneojaneneo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I sat on a plane once for almost 2 hours at the gate because the flight attendants said we were waiting for a few people whose first flight had been delayed.  Well, 99% of the time if your flight is delayed, they will not hold up your next flight (esp not for more than a few minutes), so people were getting really angry.  They went so far as to yell at the flight attendants, and everyone sat there grumbling. 

Then.... 3 soldiers stepped on board, and the flight attendant was able to confirm over the intercom that they were returning from a year in Iraq.  The entire plane went from angry to whooping and cheering, and First Class passengers gave the soliders there seats.  

It was surreal and something I'll never forget.    

• KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats. I can't wait for FI to get promoted!

Where FI works there is a walgreens. One day he went in there and someone paid for his cold meds. It was really sweet. Its little things like that, that give me hope. 
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards