Military Brides
Options

Color question

So we went to David's Bridal to look at colors that might match (or come close) to the trousers in FI's dress blues (Marines), and we came home with the Horizon swatch, because he swears that's the closest blue we're going to find.  Yeah.  Nowhere near close.  I'm going back to get some more swatches, of course, but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience with this?  Know which color in the DB stable comes closest to the trousers?  Or maybe a color from a different bridesmaids dress manufacturer?  Any ideas are much appreciated. :)

Re: Color question

• Options
    I can't speak to the color in particular, but I think this beast is why most people say "don't try to match the uniform." It seems like a friggin' nightmare to me. Are you totally set on blue dresses? 
  • Options
    Honestly, I think it's so overdone when BM dresses match the uniform.  Pick any color that you want regardless of matching.  If you really want blue then pick any blue.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Don't even try to match the uniform.  That is my suggestion.  Seriously it will be such a headache.  I've always thought that a shade of yellow would look nice with the MC uniform.  A nice powder blue might be pretty or a cornflower...actually seriously anything looks nice.  Look at the balls...does every girl try to match their dress to their BF/FI/H's uniform?  Nope.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah, that sounds like a nightmare. I'm having navy blue BM dresses only because we couldn't find any reds I really liked. Even the navy of one of the dresses we really liked isn't really navy, more like a deep marine, but I still think it'll look okay next to FI's mess dress. 
  • Options
    So, I went on the DB website because I'm very bored, and I think "midnight" is closer to a navy and less of a royal, but it still might not match. 

It only comes in a very few dresses, though, compared to other colors. 

• Options
    Ditto everyone. Pick colors you like. It will match the uniform, I promise. I hate when people get matchy matchy with the uniform. I think thats why I hate all red dresses now. Everyone has to get red dresses to match the dress blues. It's annoying. 
  • Options
    Stop!  Don't!  98% of all Marine weddings I have seen have either red or blue dresses because they wanted to match the uniform and very rarely do they actually match.  It looks jacked up and over done.  Just pick a color you like and stop trying to do the matchy matchy thing.  I think a pale yellow would look pretty.  
  • Options

While I appreciate and agree with the sentiment that any color will look nice, I would like blue.  But thanks.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6a17def2-b860-4d96-b014-232fc6eb1e13Post:fe5bb6fd-e7b3-42cc-9b9e-71f5ebaab692">Re: Color question</a>:
    [QUOTE]While I appreciate and agree with the sentiment that any color will look nice, I would like blue.  But thanks.
    Posted by kellieinkc[/QUOTE]

<div>Like I said, if you want blue then pick any blue that you like.  You're never going to find one that matches 100% and you're going to make yourself crazy trying to find one.  If you're going to insist on matching the uniform then you're going to have to accept something close. </div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:6a17def2-b860-4d96-b014-232fc6eb1e13Post:fe5bb6fd-e7b3-42cc-9b9e-71f5ebaab692">Re: Color question</a>:
    [QUOTE]While I appreciate and agree with the sentiment that any color will look nice, I would like blue.  But thanks.
    Dude no one said that you definitely can't have blue. We said pick a color you like. yes others offered suggestion, and that was in case you were picking blue *just* to match the uniform, not because you wanted it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:6a17def2-b860-4d96-b014-232fc6eb1e13Post:fe5bb6fd-e7b3-42cc-9b9e-71f5ebaab692">Re: Color question</a>:

I think shades of colors are good! We didn't have one "set" pink in our wedding, but used all colors of pink and I think it looked really nice, and I didn't worry about matching. We had Hot pink, rasberry pink, baby pink, and it all worked together beautifully..everyone thought i had planned it out. when it turns out I was lazy and did not care.  As long as they look good together I would not worry too much about the shade of blue. Also try Alfred Angelo I tend to like their colors and dresses a lot more than DB.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    While I appreciate you wanting to match that color, I have been posting on this board for more than 6 years.  I have seen a countless number of brides post on this board looking for dresses that will match the color of Marine dress blues perfectly.  In those 6+ years, I have never seen it happen.  Some have come close, but still didn't match it perfectly.  The fabric used has a lot to do with that.  
    If you want blue dresses, then pick blue dresses you like.  It's not as hard or as big of a deal as you are making out to be.  
  • Options
    TX is right, speaking from the perspective of a seamstress/quilter, unless you're going to put your BM's in a wool/poly blend dress, that color will never match. It's just the way different fabrics hold color. That's why I said you'll just give yourself a headache trying to be perfectly matched and, again in the opinion of a quilter/seamstress who works a lot with color, it's going to look odd if it's only close. You have to hit dead on or pick a shade that's further from the original.
  • Options
    It's great that you've been posting on this board for 6 years.  No doubt you've given much-needed advice to many military brides, probably myself included.  But keep in mind that while you have seen countless brides try to find a blue that looks good with the uniform, I haven't been sitting around planning my wedding every other week for the past 6 years, so this is new to me.  I want blue dresses, because that's what I think will look nice with the dress blues, and I really like blue anyway, so it's a win-win for me.

That said, as an art history major with a solid foundation in studio art, I agree with Sammy about the way certain fabrics/media hold color.  But I'm just pretty darn sure we can get something closer than a royal blue (which is very red-based).  There seems to be a bit more green in the trouser color, a more marine blue (pun not intended).  Same hue or color but darker shade would also work great.

Also, I'm certainly not trying to be difficult.  I was simply trying to glean if any other current brides had had the same question, and what, if anything, did they find out.  If you aren't in the same boat and don't have any discoverable information, that's fine, but telling me I can pick yellow or red or pink or brown or orange or puce or plaid, while you may construe it as helpful (and it is, on a smaller scale), is not an answer to the question posed.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6a17def2-b860-4d96-b014-232fc6eb1e13Post:3ae3e164-115c-4f57-a936-e2074704d08d">Re: Color question</a>:
    [QUOTE]It's great that you've been posting on this board for 6 years.  No doubt you've given much-needed advice to many military brides, probably myself included.  But keep in mind that while you have seen countless brides try to find a blue that looks good with the uniform, I haven't been sitting around planning my wedding every other week for the past 6 years, so this is new to me.  I want blue dresses, because that's what I think will look nice with the dress blues, and I really like blue anyway, so it's a win-win for me. That said, as an art history major with a solid foundation in studio art, I agree with Sammy about the way certain fabrics/media hold color.  But I'm just pretty darn sure we can get something closer than a royal blue (which is very red-based).  There seems to be a bit more green in the trouser color, a more marine blue (pun not intended).  Same hue or color but darker shade would also work great. Also, I'm certainly not trying to be difficult.  I was simply trying to glean if any other current brides had had the same question, and what, if anything, did they find out.  If you aren't in the same boat and don't have any discoverable information, that's fine, but telling me I can pick yellow or red or pink or brown or orange or puce or plaid, while you may construe it as helpful (and it is, on a smaller scale), is not an answer to the question posed.

<div>Oh forfuckssake, are you new?  You don't get to dictate how we respond to your questions or if we go off track.  You asked a question, people gave you opinions as well as answers to your question (there is no perfect match).  People also give you alternative suggestions.  So if you want to go crazy looking for that perfect match knock yourself out. And if you just want people to give you yes or no answers or validate your ideas go somewhere else.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    In Response to Re:Color question:It's great that you've been posting on this board for 6 years.nbsp; No doubt you've given muchneeded advice to many military brides,nbsp;probablyy myself included. nbsp;But keep in mind that while you have seen countless brides try to find a blue that looks good with the uniform, I haven't been sitting around planning my wedding every other week for the past 6 years, so this is new to me. Posted by kellieinkc Wow....no need for that. At all. Calm the fxuk down. It isn't that hard to take the pants to the bridal shops....they all have color swatches. And plus, your original post said "any ideas appreciated" .....apparently not.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Only ideas that validate what I want is what she meant Amanda. 

Seriously Kellie? You're acting like a beebee bride. You've seen this posts a bunch of times. You know that the majority of us say the same thing, don't try to match the uniform. Honestly, contrast looks better than the bridesmaids and groomsmen in the same color. You don't see the groomsmen in pink tuxes with pink bm dresses right? You see them with a pink vest/tie combo with another color tux. Same kind of scenario applies. You don't want a wash of color all the same color. You want contrast with the colors. 
  • Options
    You seem to be a bit dim.  I offered you suggestions because of the expirences I have had.  If you don't fuucking like it, move on.  You don't have to be an assss about it.  Yeah, you are being damn difficult.  
    I told you what others on here have expirienced.  I offered alternatives in case you decided the mountail of shyt you are climbing is not worth it.  As far as I am concerned you can keep climbing shyt mountain.  I'm done trying to help people who only want to have their big damn toe sucked.  
  • Options
    It's been a long damn time since someone pisssed me off this much on this page.  You're special.  
  • Options
    Tx-I needed that from you today. I don't think I've seen you get that angry. This thread was worth it for that. I <3 you. haha
  • Options
    Lol, I'm glad this post was good for something. Go back and read it all again in what my H calls "Drill Mama" voice.  He swears I should have stayed in the Army to be a Drill Sergeant. He says I have the perfect voice for it.  That how I was saying it all in my head while typing it out.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6a17def2-b860-4d96-b014-232fc6eb1e13Post:5b1975f2-1156-4c6b-b749-dfa989df167c">Re: Color question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Tx-I needed that from you today. I don't think I've seen you get that angry. This thread was worth it for that. I <3 you. haha
    Posted by ggirl2001[/QUOTE]
    A-fucking-men Txr. Loved that. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6a17def2-b860-4d96-b014-232fc6eb1e13Post:231f548e-6e14-452a-be5a-5062208eb049">Re: Color question</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lol, I'm glad this post was good for something. Go back and read it all again in what my H calls "Drill Mama" voice.  He swears I should have stayed in the Army to be a Drill Sergeant. He says I have the perfect voice for it.  That how I was saying it all in my head while typing it out.  
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]<div>
    It just got infinitely better now.

</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_color-question-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:6a17def2-b860-4d96-b014-232fc6eb1e13Post:0a1e25d4-9362-4cd0-991c-183949f35169">Re: Color question</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Color question : It just got infinitely better now.
    Posted by Beachy730[/QUOTE]
    It sure did. Love it. 
  • Options
    So you're going to be the one bride out of hundreds that gets it right then?  Yep, I'll believe that when I see it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards