Military Brides
Options

Registering

I registered yesterday at Kohl's and Target with my mom and FMIL.  I think we found most things my FI and I had talked about, but I know I was kind of ready to get out of the store by the end.  8 hours for 2 stores.  OMG.

Is there anything that you wish you would have registered for that you didn't?  Or anything you've ever seen on a registry that left you saying "WTF?"...(to make sure I stay far away from those.)

Re: Registering

• Options
    Well I'm not married yet but wow 8 hours! I could tell FI was ready to be done by the end of our Kohl's one. On my month board someone said they registered for a $400 margarita maker. I could never put that on my registry and as a guest I would be annoyed they were asking for a $400 appliance that did one thing. I guess I would say register for what you need and some you want but nothing too crazy
  • Options
    There were a couple things I wished I registered for but my birthday was a couple months later and got it then.

I haven't come across anything really crazy but my cousin did double up on a lot of things which I thought was really odd.
  • Options
    I haven't registered yet, but I'm thinking about it. I think the main thing is that you want to register for things you'll actually use, as well as a few things you probably wouldn't buy for yourself. Example: I'll probably register for a Kitchenaid stand mixer because I'd use it for a lot of things, but if I was spending my own money I'd probably buy a cheaper one. That's, what, $300 right there? But you can do a lot with them, and even the girls I know that don't really cook or bake and got one for their weddings really like them and use them a lot. 

Also, and I may be on the outside of this, this may be one of the only times in your life you can get started on crystal/silver/china if that's something you want. I know that I'll be registering for a pattern so that I can get it started. It'll make it easier to buy more pieces down the line. It's a big thing down here, so I'm not sure if that applies to everyone. I by no means think this is a must do for everyone, but if it's something you think you may want, this is a good time to do it. 
  • Options
    There was a big deal about someone on a board before because their favorite registry item was an ipad.  Don't register for an ipad!

We did a whole bunch of different stuff on our registry, and only registered at Target.  H and I love going camping, so we put some camping stuff on there (and got some of it), we put some different kitchen appliances and a bunch of utensils. 

One thing I think that everyone should without a doubt register for is really nice towels and sheets.  Yes, I know everyone already has towels and sheets, but you probably will never spend the money for a full set of high quality ones like you can do with a registry.  3 of my mom's friends went in together to get all of our towels and washcloths and stuff, and I was soo happy we got them.  

I think it's good to put a few bigger things on there because sometimes people like to go in together for a group gift, or just like to spend more on you.  But make sure it's something realistic.  Kitchenaid mixer, absolutely.  Ipad or PS3, probably not.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_registering-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:74a25079-875d-4adf-8ce0-97dab1df0860Post:a0f6b366-961f-4670-ba38-81158a8d944b">Re: Registering</a>:
    [QUOTE]There was a big deal about someone on a board before because their favorite registry item was an ipad.  Don't register for an ipad! We did a whole bunch of different stuff on our registry, and only registered at Target.  <strong>H and I love going camping, so we put some camping stuff on there</strong> (and got some of it), we put some different kitchen appliances and a bunch of utensils.  One thing I think that everyone should without a doubt register for is really nice towels and sheets.  Yes, I know everyone already has towels and <strong>sheets, but you probably will never spend the money for a full set of high quality ones like you can do with a registry</strong>.  3 of my mom's friends went in together to get all of our towels and washcloths and stuff, and I was soo happy we got them.   <strong>I think it's good to put a few bigger things on there because sometimes people like to go in together for a group gift, or just like to spend more on you. </strong> But make sure it's something realistic.  Kitchenaid mixer, absolutely.  Ipad or PS3, probably not.
    Posted by dnbeach12[/QUOTE]

FI and I also registered for camping stuff! We want a bigger tent haha!

Completely agree. We registered for a nice duvet and great sheets and a duvet cover.

Also agree. I think it's okay to register for realistic more expensive items because a few couples/families can go in on something nice together (like in my stepmom's family, all the aunts and uncles go in a nice crib together for nieces/nephews baby showers).
  • Options
    I have never registered and I haven't seen many registries in the past but, I wanted to say that I think camping gear is a really cool idea.  I also wanted to say that I agree that registering for a few pricey items is okay because I don't think there has ever been a wedding in my famliy where my grandmother, mother, and aunt did not go in on something together (ex. my cousin got the kitchen aid stand mixer, my mom's cousin got pots and pans, etc.). 

Katelyn, the margarita mixer is odd to me because that would never fly in my family.  My grandparents on both sides are uber sensitive about alcohol consumption so grandma and grandpa would probably sh*t a brick if someone registered for a $300 margarita maker.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We put that said Jimmy Buffett mixer in our registery along with a wine bar because the store gives a discount on anything on the registery that was not purchased. Did we expect for anyone to get those items? No. However with that being said those were the most expensive and other items were much cheaper. We also put a nice set of pots and pans with the same thought we would purchase those later with the discount but we got those as a gift from a group of our friends.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_registering-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:74a25079-875d-4adf-8ce0-97dab1df0860Post:30bdec73-238a-4299-a651-646a1e145d7c">Re: Registering</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have never registered and I haven't seen many registries in the past but, I wanted to say that I think camping gear is a really cool idea.  I also wanted to say that I agree that registering for a few pricey items is okay because I don't think there has ever been a wedding in my famliy where my grandmother, mother, and aunt did not go in on something together (ex. my cousin got the kitchen aid stand mixer, my mom's cousin got pots and pans, etc.).  Katelyn, the margarita mixer is odd to me because that would never fly in my family.  My grandparents on both sides are uber sensitive about alcohol consumption so grandma and grandpa would probably sh*t a brick if someone registered for a $300 margarita maker.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]
    Yeah I could see if a couple had been living together and had everything or they didn't need much but I could use a blender (if I even like margaritas idk if I do haha). For us it wouldn't make sense because we tried to get as little as possible because we knew a lot would get replaced by registry stuff.
  • Options
    Did you register for things like serving dishes with covers, cake carriers and such?  We attend a ton of pot luck type dinners for H's work, the FRG and church.  Those have come in handy so many times.  They aren't really things people often think about until they need them but are great registry items. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sorry to have posted and then left!  We did register for a china pattern at Kohl's, because I know I will use them eventually.  We did a lot of kitchen tools and appliances, but nothing too crazy.  I was actually going to register for a tent, too, but I'm not sure how often we'll use it and didn't put it on there.

It sounds silly, but one of the things I'm most excited for is the stackable tupperware-ish containers.  My FI always made a mess of them in the cupboard, and it drove me crazy.  FI is in another state right now, so I tried to get his opinion on everything before we went, and his one request that I didn't register for was Madden (since it'll be out before the wedding).  lol  Umm..no. 
  • Options

The internet is a wodnerful thing, FI and I skyped while doing our regestry. Initially we picked things out in the store, but that was last year after we first got engaged.... we cleaned it up and added and removed things...all in the comfort of my own bed.

You don't have to be AT the store to regester. We set up our target one without even going to the store... NBD

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards