Military Brides
Options

Ahh...name change..Eff it.

So, I have just spent the morning trying to change the name and gave the eff up.

Just incase anyone was wondering, when fill out that paperwork at the courthouse before you get your marriage liscense.. it means NOTHING. what you sign on the marriage liscense is what is legal. Not the document that you filled out with your "To be" name, printed all nicely. NO ONE TOLD ME THIS! So.. wedding day I scribbled my name "Amanda NewLast"  ....Because it said SIGNATURE not "print because this is legal"  So when I go to change my name from "Amanda Middle1 Middle2  MaidenName" to "Amanda Middle1 MaidenName NewLast" THEY WOULDN'T LET ME. and sent me on a wild goose chase from tag agency, to Department of Public Safety (DMV), to finally they told me I had to go to the place where I got my marriage liscense (2 hours away) and get an attorney, talk to the judge, and get a new liscense and get everyone to sign it again with the name I wanted...

Uhhhh wtf? Seriously?  I am so mad at myself for not filling it out correctly,  I honestly thought, Oh... this is just my signature they have my full name on file, I filled out paperwork and they will take care of it when I send it back. I FILLED OUT PAPERWORK.

Fuckkk. No. The woman at the court house on the phone told me that "This is your name now, tough luck" (Why can't the people at legal places be nice sweet old ladies?) I feel like if I change my name to "Amanda LastName" I will lose my entire identity and I am super upset about it.

This and I was already having a crappy day from some news from H. =(

Anyway, tell me stories where you completely effed up...I don't like sitting in this boat alone.
Photobucket

Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.

• Options
    uhm.... 
    we might have to have my dad marry us instead of our officiant. I found out last week that our officiant wasn't aware of the paperwork he had to do to be able to legally marry people in our state...This is his first wedding even though he is a seasoned pastor. 

If my dad ends up having to marry us, do I tip my own dad? hahaha

Seriously though, that'll totally suck because I just assumed that pastors were all good to marry us... that's what it sounded like from the state website. I didn't realize they had extra paperwork to do with the court system.... and if he doesn't get it done, that's totally on me because I should have thought to ask. It's not the end of the world if dad does our wedding ceremony; the only reason he isn't is because I want him to be able to be the dad that day, not the officiant. 

but... anyway.... some wedding details just suck? They aren't super clear about these things. 

I didn't fill out anything about what I want my new name to be for here.... and in VA, we don't sign our marriage license. We signed to get it and signed that all the info about who we were is accurate. All that happens at the ceremony is that our officiant signs it. Whatever that means for changing my name is yet to be known.
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • Options
    So you changed your last name to your husband's but you can't have your maiden name as your middle name? Sorry just trying to make sure I read that right
  • Options
    I could be wrong, but I didn't think you could legally change your middle names when getting married anyways, and that it had to be a separate legal process.  But I never looked into it at all, so I really don't know.  That was just always my assumption.  

Also, just my personal opinion, but I don't get why people are so attached to their names.  And I'm not picking on you Amanda by any means, I've just heard a lot of people on the boards over the years say they don't want to lose their identity.  I just don't really get it.  I mean if people want to keep their maiden name, great.  But I didn't feel like I lost my identity by any means because I took H's last name.  It was weird to get used to saying and signing at first, but now it's like it was always my name.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    So what you sign on your marriage license legally starts the name change process?
  • Options

Fire - could the pastor do all the prayers and such and your dad just do the vow part? I'm sorry that stinks. But I was just in a wedding where a friend got married and his dad performed the ceremony and it was really sorta touching that he knew them both so well.

zims - Yes, I don't know why this is such a big effing deal.  I signed it Amanda NewLast" to properly sign it i should have signed it "Amanda Middle1 Maiden NewLast"

it just seems stupid... If I signed it " Amda Csallfg"  My new name would be : Amda Csallfg... Why the eff I don't know. Sometimes my signature looks like gibberish, as do most peoples. It just seems like a stupid way to enforce people to change their name.  

Photobucket
  • Options
    Zims I think it depends on your state.  We didn't even sign our license, and my legal name became what I requested it to be when we applied for the license.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:ee43a7e5-b6ba-48a7-adab-aa4cb2b1d8b2">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Zims I think it depends on your state.  We didn't even sign our license, and my legal name became what I requested it to be when we applied for the license.  
    Posted by Beachy730[/QUOTE]
    Ok because I wrote my current name and after marriage name on the app for the license on Monday. I pick it up tomorrow so we'll see lol
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:7ee7f1be-8278-4cd4-9d4d-ef16afb9f1ff">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I could be wrong, but I didn't think you could legally change your middle names when getting married anyways, and that it had to be a separate legal process.  But I never looked into it at all, so I really don't know.  That was just always my assumption.   Also, just my personal opinion, but<strong> I don't get why people are so attached to their names.</strong>  And I'm not picking on you Amanda by any means, I've just heard a lot of people on the boards over the years say they don't want to lose their identity.  I just don't really get it.  I mean if people want to keep their maiden name, great.  But I didn't feel like I lost my identity by any means because I took H's last name.  It was weird to get used to saying and signing at first, but now it's like it was always my name.  
    This, 100%. I just don't get it at all. Also not picking on you, Amanda, but how does one lose their identites by changing their last names? I guess I am just in the mind state that taking your husbands name means you've started a new family together. IDK, I don't really care if someone does or does not, but I really just don't the major passion over keeping your maiden name.

Anyway, it took me almost 4 months to get my name changed, so yeah... welcome to name changing. It's a pain in the ass.
  • Options
    Amanda you could go through the legal process.  Or just use the full name you want socially.  Not that people really ever use middle names socially.  

I'm sorry you're upset by it, but honestly, a few months from now or even a year I honestly don't think you'll even think about it anymore.  If you really are bothered by it though then look into what you need to do to legally change it to what you want.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think I may have over exaggerated. I'm sorry I'm a tad bit stressed ATM with work,  and life. My whole "Losing Identity" isn't just losing my maiden name. I am upset because the woman told me that my name is "Amanda LastName" Not "Amanda Middle1 Middle2 LastName" So, I feel very upset that I have lost both of my middle names. THAT is mainly my problem.

I really hope you are right Beach, that you have to go through another process to get your middle names changed and the woman at the courthouse was just an idiot, because I kind of like my middle names.

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:9ac14777-95fa-4e5a-836d-7f407efd55de">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I may have over exaggerated. I'm sorry I'm a tad bit stressed ATM with work,  and life. My whole "Losing Identity" isn't just losing my maiden name. I am upset because the woman told me that my name is "Amanda LastName" Not "Amanda Middle1 Middle2 LastName" So, I feel very upset that I have lost both of my middle names. THAT is mainly my problem. I really hope you are right Beach, that you have to go through another process to get your middle names changed and the woman at the courthouse was just an idiot, because I kind of like my middle names.
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Honestly though, if it is legally your new name, nobody is going to know that.  So for all you want you can still use your middle names as is, however on legal documents it would just be Amanda Newlast.  I would maybe try and get someone else on the phone though to see if they say the same thing.  It just doesn't seem right to me, especially if nobody told you that what you sign is your name.  

</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    HUM...I think I am confused by the whole thing.  Not to pick on you Amanda.  I just got lost in reading. 

When I went to the social security office the lady said "So do you want to keep all four names or just three or just two?" So I basically told her what I wanted my name to be on the SSC.  My name is now Crown MaidenName MarriedName.  I kept my Maiden name for a couple of reasons. I was the only child, there are only two cousins total (including myself) on my dad's side and we are both girls.  My grandfather had only a sister.  So I am the last of "my maiden name" so I just wanted to keep it.  OH and we are planning on naming the first born Maiden Name as the name (if a girl). 

Funny however, I just recieved my diploma and it has Crown MiddleName MarriedName.  HAAA so basically I don't have a clue who the hell I am. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:2d8e30dd-5980-469d-b502-95316ccc543a">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]H<strong>UM...I think I am confused by the whole thing.</strong>  Not to pick on you Amanda.  I just got lost in reading.  When I went to the social security office the lady said "So do you want to keep all four names or just three or just two?" So I basically told her what I wanted my name to be on the SSC.  My name is now Crown MaidenName MarriedName.  I kept my Maiden name for a couple of reasons. I was the only child, there are only two cousins total (including myself) on my dad's side and we are both girls.  My grandfather had only a sister.  So I am the last of "my maiden name" so I just wanted to keep it.  OH and we are planning on naming the first born Maiden Name as the name (if a girl).  Funny however, I just recieved my diploma and it has Crown MiddleName MarriedName.  HAAA so basically I don't have a clue who the hell I am. 
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

I am confused too! Maybe I should have gone to the SSC first. I gave up before I made it inthat direction. ...I  was confused as to why the signature that I signed on the marriage licsense on my wedding day was THE name... Oklahoma is so weird.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:84e172d1-bab8-438a-89ba-2ad453a3383c">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it. : I am confused too! Maybe I should have gone to the SSC first. I gave up before I made it inthat direction. ...I  was confused as to why the signature that I signed on the marriage licsense on my wedding day was THE name... Oklahoma is so weird.
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

Yeah I just went there.  Got my new card with my new name.  Went to the DMV a few days later with my card and got my DL.  HAA it was all very easy. The only place I had to go back to later was to update my name in DEERS and get an updated ID since we went right after the honeymoon and I did not get a chance to have my DL and SSC changed.
  • Options

No one asked me how I wanted my name to be... I just made sure over and over again to read what I was signing, because of the fact that I had already jumped through all kinds of hoops to get my marriage certificate. Oh, and also, for half of my life I spelled my name wrong, and didn't know until way later in life, so really, it doesn't matter what the paperwork says.

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    I am really confused by this. So what's your name now???? Did you sign your license with your new name already or what? Because if that's the case, legally you couldn't do that anyway, you are supposed to sign it as what your name was at the time. 

In my case, you are able to change/drop your middle name if you wanted. That's what I was told in the SS office anyway, what you can't do and would need a court order for is to change your first name. I was able to drop my middle name and didn't keep my maiden name as middle. So I'm now 2first names-lastname. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:2d8e30dd-5980-469d-b502-95316ccc543a">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]HUM...I think I am confused by the whole thing.  Not to pick on you Amanda.  I just got lost in reading.  When I went to the social security office the lady said "So do you want to keep all four names or just three or just two?" So I basically told her what I wanted my name to be on the SSC.  My name is now Crown MaidenName MarriedName.  I kept my Maiden name for a couple of reasons. I was the only child, there are only two cousins total (including myself) on my dad's side and we are both girls.  My grandfather had only a sister.  So I am the last of "my maiden name" so I just wanted to keep it.  OH and we are planning on naming the first born Maiden Name as the name (if a girl).  Funny however, I just recieved my diploma and it has Crown MiddleName MarriedName.  HAAA so basically I don't have a clue who the hell I am. 
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

This is what I remember my experience being like.  I'm pretty sure nothing about my name change had to do with my marriage license.  I just needed it to bring to the SSC.  I had to fill out a form where I indicated what I wanted my new name to be then they made me verify the information and I got my new card a few days later.  Once you change it with SS, the other stuff shouldn't be too difficult.  I would try to talk to someone else to see if you're getting the right information.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:853638d5-563c-417c-b51b-31196cdc8f59">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am really confused by this. So what's your name now???? <strong>Did you sign your license with your new name already or what? Because if that's the case, legally you couldn't do that anyway, you are supposed to sign it as what your name was at the time.</strong>  In my case, you are able to change/drop your middle name if you wanted. That's what I was told in the SS office anyway, what you can't do and would need a court order for is to change your first name. I was able to drop my middle name and didn't keep my maiden name as middle. So I'm now 2first names-lastname. 
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]

I thought I signed my name at the time. Crown Maiden Name. I remember asking over and over again but that is not how I want to be called. 

My name change came at the Social Security Office. It was super easy!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:ee43a7e5-b6ba-48a7-adab-aa4cb2b1d8b2">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Zims I think it depends on your state.  We didn't even sign our license, and my legal name became what I requested it to be when we applied for the license.  
    Yup me too. Though, unless I'm reading it wrong, I don't get why you would ever sign your husband's last name as your own on a piece of paper before you changed it with social security....? Is that just me?
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:84a16eb5-d9b2-456f-a4ea-d10f58785094">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it. : Yup me too. Though, unless I'm reading it wrong, I don't get why you would ever sign your husband's last name as your own on a piece of paper before you changed it with social security....? Is that just me?
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

<div>This is what I was saying. You can't sign a "contract" with a name that's not legally yours yet. I know in some states like California I believe, they do ask whether you want your name changed or not but that doesn't mean your name is changed right there and then.The ceremony has to take place first and you gotta change it with SS. </div>
  • Options

I know... I was confused too...Basically the state of Oklahoma is Assssbackwards and freakin' weird.

So on the wedding say Bride/Groom have to sign the marriage certificate....But on the paper it says "Signature to be known as"  and I was supposed to sign it with the name I wanted to be known as....well I did want to be known as "Amanda LastName" and because I don't normally put middle name in my signature I just did like I normally do... ig A and scribble and Big R and scribble. I would have thought if this was some legally binding name signature it would have said something along the lines of: "Print name to be known as" .....not signature. And maybe a little longger line than _________________. I don't know, I am so confused as to why this is such a big deal espeically when my H's signature is just his initials.....

I'm glad most of the states don't do that, because that is just weird.

Photobucket
  • Options
    AmandaSC1988AmandaSC1988 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited May 2012
    At the courthouse when H and I got the marriage license i did have to fill out some paperwork that had  a spot for  H name, address, social, phone and then My name, address, social, phone... etc and then the name I wanted to be called after marriage. Then a spot for both of us to sign (Me with maiden name).

Then they gave us a marriage license with:
     H name
    and
    My Name
     are to be married (Legal jargon)

And then spots for us to sign....on the wedding day....
    Photobucket
  • Options
    well eff I am confused and lost as well. I don't have a copy of the license application so I couldn't tell you want Minnesota does/did. But I am looking at our Marriage Certificate (AKA License) that says

H First Name BAGILLION MIDDLE NAMES, Last name II of the County of {insert county} State of Minnesota
    and
    MY FIRST MIDDLE AND MADIEN LAST NAME of the County of [insert county] State of Minnesota

The names of the parties after their marriage shall be: H First Name BAGILLION MIDDLE NAMES, Last name II (DOB)
    and
    MY FIRST MIDDLE AND MARRIED LAST NAME (DOB)

However, we didn't sign it just our BM and MOH did. (We did however sign the app and then were given the actual license/certificate to bring with us to the ceremony).

Amanda did you guys have to sign the actual Marriage Certificate/License?! Or was is that what you signed on the application?

I want the COOOOOKIE!
    Credit to Awkward Family Pet Photos
    http://tiny.cc/kpfcdw
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:ff595ea6-c3f5-40e9-aef4-efbf5e1eadc1">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]At the courthouse when H and I got the marriage license i did have to fill out some paperwork that had  a spot for  H name, address, social, phone and then My name, address, social, phone... etc and then the name I wanted to be called after marriage. Then a spot for both of us to sign (Me with maiden name). Then they gave us a marriage license with:  H name and My Name  are to be married (Legal jargon) <strong>And then spots for us to sign....on the wedding day....</strong>

Wait so you signed your own license on your wedding day? How is that possible? I thought only the witnesses and the officant signed.
    I want the COOOOOKIE!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:5bec2714-547b-4877-806d-2e544b9f2579">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]well eff I am confused and lost as well. I don't have a copy of the license application so I couldn't tell you want Minnesota does/did. But I am looking at our Marriage Certificate (AKA License) that says  H First Name BAGILLION MIDDLE NAMES, Last name II of the County of {insert county} State of Minnesota and MY FIRST MIDDLE AND MADIEN LAST NAME of the County of [insert county] State of Minnesota The names of the parties after their marriage shall be: H First Name BAGILLION MIDDLE NAMES, Last name II (DOB) and MY FIRST MIDDLE AND MARRIED LAST NAME (DOB) However, we didn't sign it just our BM and MOH did. (We did however sign the app and then were given the actual license/certificate to bring with us to the ceremony). Amanda did you guys have to sign the actual Marriage Certificate/License?! Or was is that what you signed on the application?
    Posted by crimewatcher[/QUOTE]
    Crime, does your H have a lot of middle names? ;)
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:5d3957be-aba1-42e9-bae0-224767dc57af">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it. : Crime, does your H have a lot of middle names? ;)
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

Only 2 names but 3 words (his Mother's MaidenName is his 2nd Middle and it's 2 words.. hopefully that makes sense) Plus he is the 2nd which really creates a cluster. You wont find 2 pieces of legal docs with it the same though. His Birth Certificate lists his second middle name has just an initial and 99% of the time he can't give his full name because they don't give him enough boxes or squares. (24 letters and 26 characters long). BTW I am at 20 and was told I couldn't add my maiden name anyway because that would put me at 28 and 25 is now the max (but I don't really believe that see Step Mom story below).

My Step Mother has 3 middles and a hyphenated last name. She also didn't want to loose her identity. TBH she signs first name and my dad's last name so what the heck does it matter what's legal? If you don't go by the name socially, introduce yourself as it, or go by it then why the heck have a different legal name?!

It was hard for me to loose my maiden name since my sister and I were the last "MAIDEN NAME" My Dad's side never had any boys -- my Dad finally got the golden ticket with my Half Brother but his name is hyphenated so really my maiden name from my family is dead. I know the last name is still out there but no blood relatives. This really bums me out.  but.... it doesn't bum me out enough to give our children a fricken bagillion names like H.
    I want the COOOOOKIE!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:c4d3fb6a-f574-4472-8c1c-a549ea082147">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it. : Only 2 names but 3 words (his Mother's MaidenName is his 2nd Middle and it's 2 words.. hopefully that makes sense) Plus he is the 2nd which really creates a cluster. You wont find 2 pieces of legal docs with it the same though. His Birth Certificate lists his second middle name has just an initial and 99% of the time he can't give his full name because they don't give him enough boxes or squares. (24 letters and 26 characters long). BTW I am at 20 and was told I couldn't add my maiden name anyway because that would put me at 28 and 25 is now the max (but I don't really believe that see Step Mom story below). My Step Mother has 3 middles and a hyphenated last name. She also didn't want to loose her identity. TBH she signs first name and my dad's last name so what the heck does it matter what's legal? If you don't go by the name socially, introduce yourself as it, or go by it then why the heck have a different legal name?! It was hard for me to loose my maiden name since my sister and I were the last "MAIDEN NAME" My Dad's side never had any boys -- my Dad finally got the golden ticket with my Half Brother but his name is hyphenated so really my maiden name from my family is dead. I know the last name is still out there but no blood relatives. This really bums me out.  but.... <strong>it doesn't bum me out enough to give our children a fricken bagillion names like H.
    </strong>Posted by crimewatcher[/QUOTE]
    Same here. I officially killed my dads last name... BUT, he was adopted, along with his 3 siblings, and my dad was the only one to have kids. And his adoptive mom was the devil, so BU BYE maiden name!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:8086f7f6-23c0-45f9-b4ec-337ee7ea069c">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it. : Same here. I officially killed my dads last name... BUT, he was adopted, along with his 3 siblings, and my dad was the only one to have kids. And his adoptive mom was the devil, so BU BYE maiden name!
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

When I was younger I hated it because I didn't have a good relationship with my Dad, I couldn't wait to get rid of it. But then things changed which is the bummer, regardless not changing my name was a deal breaker for H. I use to like his last name because I could make is sound fun like an announcer and crap but here ppl give me funny looks every single time I say it. 9/10 times when I say it ppl just stop writing or typing or whatever they are doing and say 'WHAT?" or if it appears on a list they say First Name Last Initial. To me it's not crazy but apparently to others it is idk.
    I want the COOOOOKIE!
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    Crime: hahaha. Your H's name is so Filipino! ; I was the same. I had 2 first names, my mom's maiden name as my middle name and then my last name. When I changed my name I dropped that middle name and traditionally in my culture I should have moved my dad's last name as my middle but I am so tired of having so many names so I didn't. My mom tried to give me grief over it too. Haha. So now I'm 2 first names and lastH's lastname.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_ahhname-changeeff-it?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:7f5f6a56-7b9e-43fe-b91f-e91c5e03f8afPost:9ac14777-95fa-4e5a-836d-7f407efd55de">Re: Ahh...name change..Eff it.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think I may have over exaggerated. I'm sorry I'm a tad bit stressed ATM with work,  and life. My whole "Losing Identity" isn't just losing my maiden name. I am upset because the woman told me that my name is "Amanda LastName" Not "Amanda Middle1 Middle2 LastName" So, I feel very upset that I have lost both of my middle names. THAT is mainly my problem. I really hope you are right Beach, that you have to go through another process to get your middle names changed and the woman at the courthouse was just an idiot, because I kind of like my middle names.

I would be upset if I lost my middle name. I mean, you can go and legally change it back, but still. I sorta felt attached to my last name, but just because I had it my whole life. I'm over it already. But I  really love my middle name. It's my mom's, and I want to give it to our first girl if we have one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards