Military Brides

How To Do Sword Arch For Outdoor Ceremony?

We're having an outdoor ceremony with the reception immediately afterwards at the same venue. We want to incorporate the traditional sword arch, but are not sure what the best way to do it is. Traditionally, the arch happens outside the chapel, with the guests already outside waiting for the bride and groom. But when we kiss and walk down the aisle, we are just going to walk into the rear garden, and the guests will be milling around the garden as well. 

I envision having the honor guard seated closest to the aisle in the last few rows, and once we are pronounced husband and wife they will stand up and do their thing. Then once we have passed through and they've put the swords away, the guests will be able to leave. But my fiance' envisions us walking down the aisle to the back garden, our guests getting up and moving to another location, and then us coming back to do the sword arch. I guess he feels that we should be on one side of the sword arch with our guests waiting for us on the other side, but I think it's fine to have the guests on the same side as us, as long as no one else passes through the arch but us.

Any thoughts? Has anyone else done a sword arch for a similar outdoor ceremony/reception?

Re: How To Do Sword Arch For Outdoor Ceremony?

• edited December 2011
    Hey!  The way we did it was a little different.  The guys with the swords sat in the back of the room during the ceremony.  Then after pronounced husband and wife, they marched down the aisle and formed the arch there.  None of the guests had to move as they were all still sitting, and it was very special.  (Not outside due to circumstances, but still great.)

Congrats on your engagment!

• edited December 2011
    Jennifer--
    your picture is gorgeous!! I love that shot with the swords up!

• edited December 2011
    Thanks Jennifer, that's a really good idea. I'll run it by my fiance and hope he goes for it :)

Sarah
  • calsoxxcalsoxx member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,

I'm stuck on how to do it in a church. Is it allowed? Do the guests get up and follow us out? And stand around in the street? Church is close to the street.

Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    Most churches don't allow weapons of any kind, even ceremonial ones. For church ceremonies, I've always seen the arch set up just outside the doors with the guests already outside. If there isn't room on the sidewalk for all of them to stand out there on the other side of the arch, maybe you could do it with the guests still in the church behind you after you've walked down the aisle. If the church has nice big double doors that open up, most people could still have a good view.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards