Military Brides
Options

Hello All!

I don't know if I am jumping the gun by doing this, but I just wanted to say hello to all of you! I am not a "military wife" or even "military fiance"... My fiance and I have been together for the past 4 years and plan to get married in April of next year. I recently graduated from college with business and from dog grooming school also. My FI proposed for Christmas with all of my family there and it was such a happy event! He currently works as an electrician and comes from a strong Marine family. Both of his older brothers are Marines. He recently decided that he really wants to persue his dream of serving his country. I am supporting his dream and am truely looking forward to a possible fresh start, just the two of us, even as hard as I know it will be. He is trying to enlist with the Air Force and we are just waiting on waivers for his tattoos (fingers crossed!!). Again, I just wanted to say Hello!!!

Re: Hello All!

• Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi and welcome!  I hope your FI gets the waiver and is able to join.  I am a Navy wife, and feel free to post even if he isn't in yet.  

Confession: I didn't even know there was a school for dog grooming.  That's awesome, and totally something I would do.  I love animals, but never could be a vet because I would be too sad anytime I had to put one down.  But grooming would be fun!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Beach! We are praying for the best on his situation! And as for dog grooming school, there are several schools around the country! Truth be told, I may have been better off staying in college! haha Dog grooming is more challenging than I thought it was going to be, but it can be very rewarding at times too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi!! Welcome to the Board!!

I'm curious about why your FI chose the AF with his family having a Marine Corps background? My H is a Marine, his brother was in the AF and his dad was in the Coast Guard. I always find it interesting why/how people choose their branch. I was AD Navy.. and truth be told.. I liked the Navy's uniforms the best, and I really liked Naval Aviation thanks to a slight crush/obsession with John McCain.. Go Figure.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sami, he has always spoken of joining the military, and truth be told it was ALWAYS the Marine Corps that he spoke of. He recently came to me and said " I want to join the Air Force." We sat down and talked about it and I have to say that I was impressed. He had done his homework on researching who could offer him the career that he wanted. He also considered deployments and deployment periods (I'm guessing for me haha) and he just seemed to know what he wanted. When we spoke about the Air Force we both got really excited because it felt like we were setting our own path compared to following the exact footsteps of his brothers. Also, his middle brother recently got out of the Marines and seems to be a completely different person. His brother has completely given up on his religion and, in our opinion, is on a path of destruction. Now, I KNOWW that this has nothing to do with the Marines and more to do with the people that he was hanging around. I don't know why but the Air Force just feels right for us as a future family. I do have to say that when he told his parents about going Air Force, they were very supportive. It was alot of different factors that influenced us!
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    When FI decided to go to law school and to join the military as part of that plan, I suggested he compare all the branches.  I actually was pushing for the Air Force or Coast Guard, since they reimburse more of law school loans.  But FI wouldn't even meet with the recruiters... er, OSOs for officers, but same idea.  He would not consider anything but the Marines.  I'm glad your guy did his homework and figured out what would work best for you both.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very proud of my guy and excited about life as a Marine spouse, and at this point I can't imagine it any other way, but I do think it's smart to see what your options are and it's nice to see that he considered you while making that decision.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011

Yeah, it is all about what is best for you. At one point we didn't think he'd even have a shot with the AF because of his tattoos so we met with a Marines recruiter. As we sat in his office I felt SOO depressed because it wasn't what either of us wanted, and he said he felt the same way sitting with the Marine. As soon as we stepped into the AF office, it just felt right!! Plus, I know what you mean about you H.. when those boys set their mind to something, there is NO changing it! They're so stubborn!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement! :) and Hi!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement and your FI trying to join the AF.  I do have to say, though, that deployment length should not be a factor for joining one branch or the other.  Yes, the AF typically has shorter deployments than most Army or Marine units, but that is not written in stone.  I have known quite a few Airmen who were attactched to other branches while deployed and stayed for the full 12-18 months.  Just be aware that it happens.  I would hate for y'all to be blind sided. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey and Welcome. I'm an AF wife, H knew from elementary school he wanted to be a pilot and he knew in Jr. High it wanted to go to the Air Force Academy. Talk about determination. :) Deployments range greatly, I know H is looking at shorter (several months) on deployment but he will go more frequently. We have even seen as little as a couple weeks between deployments. I know this ranges with jobs/careers but thought I'd share. Let me know if H can help your FI out at all. Granted he went through different channels, but he may be able to help.

p.s My dog LOVES the groomers. She gets so excited its hard to contain her (yes she is only 12lbs but dang!) Case in point, I opened the door to the groomers, she got away... she sat very nicely in front of the groomer's table whining to get up. Needless to say she is a hit there because I don't know many dogs who get THAT excited for a hair cut/shampoo. I like to call her a beauty queen on those days :D
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone! We weren't basing his decision solely on the factor that his deployments may be shorter. I know that with the government you never know what to expect! I am ready for a few curve balls to be thrown my way, because i know it is inevitable! I really appreciate all of the feedback! Also, do yall know of anyone who tried to get into the AF with visible tattoos? I was just hoping to get some opinions on what it was like waiting for waivers and if ASVAB scores made a difference, etc. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, what one person's experience is will not be the next person's experience.  It depends too much on who is making the decision, how hard his OSO is fighting for him, etc.  I do know someone who got a waiver for high school drug use to get into the Marines (as a 27 year old law student who hadn't so much as gotten drunk in nearly a decade), and he credited his OSO who fought for him with his success.  I know someone else who has a perfect PFT and his OSO dropped the ball so he didn't end up getting a medical waiver for an old injury to get to OCS last summer - he had to go this summer.  So it all depends!!!  Have him follow up with whomever his point of contact is repeatedly and make that person an advocate on his behalf.  Good luck!

Has he considered tattoo removal?  Is that allowed?

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went in AD Navy with 2 tattoos.. though they weren't visible in uniform. My H has a visible tattoo, but he got it after he was in.. so that doesn't really count.. There are plenty of people who have tattoos that are visible in uniform though.. I don't know off hand how strict the AF is about them though.. I would think as long as they aren't rude, crude or gang related, he'll probably be okay..
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards