Military Brides
Options

Vow Renewal

My husband and I had a courthouse wedding last year just before we deployed; so this June we are having our "big wedding" in the form of a vow renewal in PA. Has anyone else gone this route? What kind of things are you doing to make this a special event to share with your family? I love the idea of including family members in readings during the ceremony.

Re: Vow Renewal

• Options
    meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A lot of military couples go this route. We were civilly married in November, but we don't live or sleep together yet since we're not married religiously. (Our religion is really important to us) So our wedding on April 10th is still the same big shin dig we were planning on all along.

What kind of ceremony are you having?
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am doing this, my wedding is next sat. We are doing everything like a normal wedding. It will be special for your family, and you. I also love the day we got married no one was around, it was so romantic.. good luck with the planning! I would do a reading or something maybe even a poem. Also our pastor was telling us sometimes they do this thing, where you give the mom's roses or something in the ceremony..
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having our renewal in a church, as that was definitely a part that we missed as well as far as the courthouse went. I guess for the most part we plan on having a typical ceremony, with a few tweaks as far as calling it a "vow renewal" go. I'm trying to find ways to personalize it, with different hymns and such. I also read someone's post about the Blessing of the Hands and really loved that idea.

Blondie, good luck with your ceremony on Saturday!! I hope it goes beautifully and smoothly for you! That is a really neat idea about the roses. I was thinking about getting our moms corsages... We will see!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having our renewal done by the church (my bishop needs to be asked to do it somewhere not in the church) But this coming tuesday we'll be civilly married before he goes into the Air Force. I think that maybe something nice to do to incorporate your families into the renewal is you can get two different all one colored flower arrangements (that match the wedding obviously) have your mom/dad/sister/brother anyone from your family, and someone from his family bring up flowers to the alter and each member of the opposing family can hand you and your husband a flower from their bouquet. (as a sign of welcoming to the family) and then you and your husband could place your flowers into a smaller vase together to symbolize unity. Just a thought, i hope i got it to come across the right way. Good Luck :-) 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    CatNolan, that is a really creative idea!!! Very cool. Thanks for the idea!  Have fun with your wedding activities. And good luck to you both with the AF!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards