Military Brides
Options

Name Change

I am getting married May 14th in Michigan and will be moving to New Mexico May 20th because my fiancee is stationed there in the Air Force.  I am not ssure how I go about changing my name and I don't understand if I would register to vote as a Michigan resident or a New Mexico resident, I am currently not registered to vote.  Any advice would be helpful!

Re: Name Change

• Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When you apply for your marriage license you write down what name you want to go by after the wedding.  After the wedding and when you have your license, you can get your dependant ID card in your new name, and go to Social Security for a new card in your married name.  Make a copy of your license, or just pay the fee (ours was $10) for a second official copy, because you will need it many times.  But once you have an ID in your married name, a social securtity card, and your marriage license, you shouldn't have any problems changing your name on anything else.  

As for registering to vote, you can only register in whatever state you establish residency.  If you wish to establish residency in New Mexico, you can do it a few ways.  The easiest for us was to trasnfer to a Washington driver's license.  Then once you are a resident of the state you can register to vote.  If you don't change your residency, you would have to register to vote in Michigan, and fill out absentee ballots for all elections.  

One piece of advice since you are moving so soon after the wedding, which was also the case for us, ask when you apply for the marriage license about rush processing.  We got married in NY, and normally the officiant mails the signed license into the office, and they complete the paperwork and mail it to you, which can take about 3 weeks to a month.  When we explained our situation to them when applying, they told us to get our license back from the priest after the ceremony, and bring it into the office in person the Monday after the wedding, and they processed it right then and there for us so we didn't have any delays.
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DNB gives great advice, also google the spouse residency relief act, that will help you with some of your questions about residency.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    AAhh.... this was a question i was looking for an answer to! We are getting married in Vegas and we pre-registered for the wedding licence, and it didnt give me the option of choosing what i would go by after the wedding. We are paying extra to get the marriage certificate before we leave vegas.

So, before I get my ID, will i Have to change my licence and SSC to my new last name in order to get my ID?

DNB is full of amazing information!!! :-)
  • Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your marriage license is the only thing you need to get the dependent ID.  You do need to bring your ID and soc. sec. card with you to get it, but they can be in your maiden name.  Since we were PCS-ing out of state a month after the wedding, I didn't bother switching my license until I got my new one in WA.  So we did my dependent ID the Tuesday after the wedding, since we got our marriage license on the Monday.  Then I took care of my Soc. Sec. card later that week I think.  

Since your application didn't ask, I would assume that it's putting you n your married name on the license, or they will ask you when you get it processed. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_name-change?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:942c1696-aad7-4f49-b78a-dc84bf9c3685Post:b13e48ea-8f28-41df-927b-eae3c2a9d78b">Re: Name Change</a>:
    [QUOTE]AAhh.... this was a question i was looking for an answer to! We are getting married in Vegas and we pre-registered for the wedding licence, and it didnt give me the option of choosing what i would go by after the wedding. We are paying extra to get the marriage certificate before we leave vegas. So, before I get my ID, will i Have to change my licence and SSC to my new last name in order to get my ID? DNB is full of amazing information!!! :-)
    Posted by 1sttimenavywife2be[/QUOTE]

<div>Nevada doesn't have the option of changing your last name on the license, you'll have to process everything after the wedding. So, you'll have to do SS first, then your license, passport, etc. It's really such a hassle. Which is why I haven't changed mine yet, will late til my license expires. But like dnbeach said, you can get your independent ID with your maiden name. This is what H and I are in the process of doing right now. </div>
  • Options
    bkr3bkr3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    @sarahbery: Yes, rush your license, since you only have a few days between your wedding and your move!

@1sttimenavywife: I got married in Nevada and I couldn't change my name on the license. I got my military ID twice. I got the ID with my maiden name, and then I changed my name through Social Security, then Driver's License, then my military ID again. Kind of weird, I know...

If you need to be listed in DEERS/dependent ID right away, you can get your dependent ID with your maiden name. It took me a week to get my new Soc.Sec. card and 2 weeks to get my new license, and I needed my ID right away.

But when you get your military IDs, your sponsor (military member) has to be with you. My husband (at the time) was away, so he had to send over a Power of Attorney.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards