Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

How many people come to ceremony vs reception?

We are expecting about 150 at our reception. I've heard that usually fewer people come to the ceremony than the reception. We've found a ceremony venue we like, but it only seats 120. Will this work?
Daring to dream a bigger dream

Re: How many people come to ceremony vs reception?

• No.  You need to plan enough seating for 100% of those you invite.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_how-many-people-come-to-ceremony-vs-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:adfc65bb-5555-4b17-94d5-355146519a85Post:39883369-475f-4542-adb0-12a89bade071">How many people come to ceremony vs reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are expecting about 150 at our reception. <strong>I've heard that usually fewer people come to the ceremony than the reception. </strong>We've found a ceremony venue we like, but it only seats 120. Will this work?
    Posted by gottadance64[/QUOTE]

While I would say the bolded is probably true, you should still plan for everyone who RSVP'd to the wedding to show up for both the ceremony and the reception. This way you won't end up with your great aunt who shows up last to have to stand because all the chairs are taken. Even five of your guests having to stand is not cool. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Absolutely plan on 100% attending the ceremony.  In our circle it does happen that someone only attend the reception, but it is far more the exception than the rule.
  • If your ceremony sit only seats 120 people, then only invite 150 people (or find a new ceremony site).  I'm not sure why you are "expecting" 150 at the reception if the ceremony only seats 120...
    DSC_9275
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_how-many-people-come-to-ceremony-vs-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:adfc65bb-5555-4b17-94d5-355146519a85Post:6488eaca-60eb-48e6-ad97-cb93f77038fe">Re: How many people come to ceremony vs reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How many people come to ceremony vs reception? : FTFY.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Sorry, thanks for fixing my typo:-)  OP, only invite the number of people that your smallest venue can seat.  Over-inviting because you think some people will decline (or only attend one part or another) is asking for trouble.

</div>
    DSC_9275
  • Let me clarify: We have a 150 min guarantee we have to meet at our reception venue, so we are probably inviting 160 people (some of whom are old relatives who we know can't make it - it's more of a matter of courtesy), so that we will end up with around 150 people actually attending the reception. The problem is, we don't belong to any church and we are trying to find an indoor place to have the ceremony - there is no option at our reception venue. So I was just wondering if, in general less people show up at the ceremony than the reception and whether a chapel fitting 120 would work for us. It sounds like it wouldn't...too bad  - this chapel is gorgeous, historic and near our reception venue.  Well, the search goes on.
    Daring to dream a bigger dream
  • Yep, best to keep looking.  Or try to negotiate with the reception venue ways to meet the minimum without having 150 people.  Maybe you can have a more expensive entree, offer more dessert options, use top-shelf liquor, etc.  If you can agree on a minimum COST, then you can invite 120 people, and keep the ceremony venue.
    DSC_9275
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards