Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Irish Wedding Traditions

Planning my vow renewal with my husband and we want to incoperate our irish heritage into our ceremony, only trouble is we have no clue how to.  We both have Claddagh Rings as our wedding bands, but we want to do more.  We are doing a vintage hollywood theme but it's important to us to have this in our ceremony.

Re: Irish Wedding Traditions

• Just curious -- but why is it important to you to incorporate traditions that you don't even know about?   I mean, if there are things that you are familiar with that your family members have done, or that you've seen at other Irish weddings, I would understand wanting to incorporate those.  But if you don't even know anything about Irish wedding traditions, why is it so important to you?  It seems kind of random to embrace a heritage you know nothing about.
    DSC_9275
  • pgcppgcp member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_irish-wedding-traditions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:ae3b53b2-7f6e-492e-b3a9-08adf27c44b2Post:7815502f-86c2-4145-b7db-b3cae0cbcea5">Re: Irish Wedding Traditions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Just curious -- but why is it important to you to incorporate traditions that you don't even know about?   I mean, if there are things that you are familiar with that your family members have done, or that you've seen at other Irish weddings, I would understand wanting to incorporate those.  But if you don't even know anything about Irish wedding traditions, why is it so important to you?  It seems kind of random to embrace a heritage you know nothing about.
    Posted by Avion22[/QUOTE]
    I totally agree!  Even though Ireland isn't very large it is still a pretty diverse place.  Something that would be significant in one village wouldn't necessarily be so in another.  I feel this way regardless of the ethnicity.  I understand wanting to understand your heritage (someday I will get to Budapest and see where my grandmother's family was from and I have scoured the internet trying to find a Kefflie recipe that tastes like hers).  But traditions that aren't significant to your family, that aren't done with some sort of regularity, are pretty meaningless.
  • Instead of rings, we gave our nephew a bell to ring after the bride and groom were pronounced man and wife.  The sound of bells is supposed to be good luck on your wedding day.  Since our five year old nephew was too enthusiatic about this idea, the priest kept the bell safe until the right moment.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_irish-wedding-traditions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:ae3b53b2-7f6e-492e-b3a9-08adf27c44b2Post:368ed2af-91c9-401a-b266-0c9df3bbfcc8">Re: Irish Wedding Traditions</a>:
    [QUOTE]Irish Wedding traditions -  <a href="http://www.ireland-information.com/articles/irishweddingtraditions.htm" rel="nofollow">http://www.ireland-information.com/articles/irishweddingtraditions.htm</a>
    Posted by crfb87[/QUOTE]

I would take this article with a grain of salt (as all things on the internet!). I haven't heard of a lot of the things on that list and I am the only member of my immediate family who wasn't born in Ireland.

The line about the champange being kept to wet the head of the baby at their Christening is a bit far fetched since given that historically the avergae Irish family wouldn't be able to afford a bottle of champagne!!!

If you are really interested in finding out facts I would contact a reputable source.

Also if you just want to celebrate your heritage why not just play some music at the reception or hire some Irish dancers to perform?
  • Thanks 3rd and 4th posters. I thought the same
    Photobucket
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Just because you saw it on Four Weddings, doesn't mean it's a good idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards