Military Brides
Options

Themes OMG!!!!

Good afternoon ladies! So I am very recently engaged and happy as ever! However..... lol We are having theme issues for our wedding. Last weekend we made the final decision to get married on a Electra cruise line yacht.

www.electracruises.com/newport_princess.asp">http://www.electracruises.com/newport_princess.asp

We are very happy with the idea of what they have to offer, and we have our colors picked out (white and red), but we can't find a theme we actually can hang onto more than 24hrs. My fiancée is in the U.S Coast Guard and he is going to be wearing his uniform so naturally we thought military wedding theme!!!! But I can't find any real decorations, or specific ideas on what to do. I think something regarding the CG is appropriate, but I don't want it to be cheesy! No one else will be in a uniform and my fiancée is very involved so it has to be something we both like. I can't complain about a man who wants to participate!!! haha Any suggestions? Laughing

Re: Themes OMG!!!!

• Options
    Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_themes-omg?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:a8dac1ac-7d82-4253-b024-56cee7ac6d1dPost:f731a29d-798e-42a4-ae9b-2c59a7dfc4a4">Themes OMG!!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Good afternoon ladies! So I am very recently engaged and happy as ever! However..... lol We are having theme issues for our wedding. Last weekend we made the final decision to get married on a Electra cruise line yacht. <a href="http://www.electracruises.com/newport_princess.asp" rel='nofollow'>www.electracruises.com/newport_princess.asp</a> " /> <a href="http://www.electracruises.com/newport_princess.asp" rel='nofollow'>http://www.electracruises.com/newport_princess.asp</a> We are very happy with the idea of what they have to offer, and we have our colors picked out (white and red), but we can't find a theme we actually can hang onto more than 24hrs. My fiancée is in the U.S Coast Guard and he is going to be wearing his uniform so naturally we thought military wedding theme!!!! But I can't find any real decorations, or specific ideas on what to do. I think something regarding the CG is appropriate, but I don't want it to be cheesy! No one else will be in a uniform and my fiancée is very involved so it has to be something we both like. I can't complain about a man who wants to participate!!! haha Any suggestions?
    Posted by merush87[/QUOTE]

<div>You don't need a theme at all.  Personally, I think themes are best kept as small hints.  For example, if you wanted to do a boating theme, you could make your favors boating related.  You could find invitations with an anchor or something on them, and maybe even a card box in the shape of a boat.  </div><div>
    </div><div>As for hanging decorations, I think that makes it look more like a kid's birthday party than a wedding.  I would just stick with your wedding colors for decorations, and bring your theme out in other ways.</div>
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should watch Wedding Crashers. The vows in the wedding of the older sister.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Beach. We had touches of our respective branches, but really no "theme" I say once you've got your colors you're golden!

Photobucket
  • Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Like the other ladies said, you don't have to have a theme.  My brother was a GC officer when he got married.  His groom's cake was a very simple 2-tier chocolate cake that had the CG symbol on it.  Other than he and the other guys in uniform, that was all they included of the CG in their wedding.  The rest was centered around the English garden outside the reception hall. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had a similar (mental) debate about picking a theme! I liked the idea of picking something subtle that would tie things together... but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that picking colors would tie everything together just fine, and if I pick decorations I like then the theme is just "things Sarah likes!" (Fi is not particularly interested in decorations.)

I agree with the PP that said inorparating too much theme-y stuff makes it too much like a kids birthday party.

I'm having a garden wedding, so I expect I'll pick floral/nature patterned invites, and have floral centerpieces, but that's about as themey as it'll be.

I've never been to a wedding of a member of the coast guard, but I saw candies wrapped in camoflage as favors at an army wedding once - maybe you could do something similar? You could a cake topper with him in the uniform... or you could go with a boating theme as dnbeach suggested... or maybe even use seashells and things to make a beach sort of feel.
    White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards