Military Brides
Options

Unicorns and Glitter.. NWR, Long

I've been stupid busy this week.. How is everyone else's week going? Wedding planning updates? Anyone else super pysched about Project Runway premier tonight? Pictures to share? Come on Ladies!! Give me something!!

I've been making tutu's.. for adults.. 2 dozen of them in sizes XS to XXXL (have you ever seen a tutu for a plus sized woman? I think it's pretty cute.. they however might not..).. Ugh.  I've been up to my neck (or at least my shoulders) in tulle in all bright and obnoxious colors of the rainbow and even some super fun tulle that's absolutely COVERED in Glitter, elastic and those silly old school Burger King crowns (I spray painted them silver and wrote "Curves" in glue and sprinkled that with.. glitter).  At work (Curves) we're having a "Royal Tea Party" to celebrate the end of our summer promotion (Last Queen Standing). The members who signed up agreed to work out 3 x's per week for 6 weeks, if they didn't their paper crown was taken off the Wall of Royalty and placed on the Wall of Shame (My own mom was one of the first to make it to the wall of shame).  My boss came to me on Tuesday and said "Can you just take care of the tea party? Like.. all of it".  Huge face palm.  Whatever, I'm doing it and it will be FANTASTIC!!! Knowing that it will be quite the celebration for our dedicated members will totally make it worth it, plus you're darn tootin that I know how to throw a party!! The down side to all of this? Another employee just got let go, and I picked up all her shifts and while I'm totally thrilled to get the hours, getting up at 3:30 am to get ready and be at work at 5 not much fun, then I get off at 1pm and have to go pick up Miss Madeline and keep her until 9pm.. then take a shower and go to sleep usually by 11pm. My biggest complaint however, is.. the glitter. I have glitter in my hair, my bra, the carpet, upstairs, downstairs, It's even inside my shorts... I used to love glitter..

There was really no point to this post.. Just a vent about glitter.. Hope you ladies are all doing well!!
Photobucket

Re: Unicorns and Glitter.. NWR, Long

• Options
    KendallR10KendallR10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I <3 glitter
    Military Brides December 2011 Siggy. Holiday picture with your SO. We suck and don't have one :/ Those who matter don't mind and those who mind don't matter.
  • Options
    LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Glittery adult tutus sound so fun. I'm sure all the ladies will love them! Thank god for DVR, it caught project runway. I'm gonna watch it tomorrow. How many more tutus?
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tutus are awesome and I love glitter! lol I danced (ballet tap jazz and what not) for like 20 years! So of course I would love tutus and glitter!! ha
     And I remember after dance recitals there would be glitter all over the house, my mom STILL randomly finds sequins lol
    But as busy as you are and as stressful as it sounds I bet it will bo so fun and awesome!

OH and I totally forgot about Project Runway!! But it just came on here!! So I'm watching it right now!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is a lot of work Sami! Maybe someone should join Project Runway too? Why are you soo creative? I wish I was like that! I bet that party will be fun!

I just saw PR, it was a good first episode. I was in love with Bert's dress, I don't care if a part of it came from his boxers, I want it! Also, there were definitely some hot messes on tonight's episode! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Unicorns and Glitter.. NWR, Long:
    [QUOTE I just saw PR, it was a good first episode. I was in love with Bert's dress, I don't care if a part of it came from his boxers, I want it! 
    Posted by kara811[/QUOTE]

I loved that dress too!!! I would so buy that!! Like you said, even though part of it came from his boxers lol ...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hey Sami,

I would love to know how to make them or would be willing to buy one if you would be willing to sell.  A group of girls and I are running the Princess 1/2 marathon at Disney in Feb.  I wouldn't need it right now since we are now trying to see what princesses we are running as.  Last year people really went all out and I would love to do the same this year.

Thanks!
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    crownsuperstar - I ran that last year!  And I'm running it this year!!!  And my brother's girlfriend is running with me!  And Sami is probably running it, too, or I'll come up to North Carolina and drag her butt down!!!  YAY!!!

I made a tutu for the race last year, and I gave Sami the instructions, so I assume that's what she's using.  It's actually really easy - I made about a dozen of them for girls who were in my training group for the half marathon.   It was purple, as I was running with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training, whose color is - you guessed it - purple!

This is the basic concept: http://www.momaroo.com/733711626/princess-no-sew-tulle-skirt-tutorial/

Except I took really stretchy cottony comfortable 1.5" wide elastic and sewed it together to make it easier to wear while running.  It fit comfortably over my running capris, and even hid my water belt!

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The link that C gave me is what I did, so it's easy, just slightly time consuming, and expensive!! I got reimbursed for everything, but I have to go out again today and get more tulle!!

Crown and C- I'm really wanting to do it, but that it's right in the middle of our PCS!! We're still talking about it!! But I will totally make you some tutu's (or sell you the ones I have!) It's fun!

Kara- Haha.. I'm sorry? My mom and I are both just super creative.  I want to major in interior design, but I feel like that's a TERRIBLE career for a military spouse since we'll be moving every few years and it's totally a client based profession. Alas, I'll probably do something boring and just do my fun furniture refurbishing on the side!! I opened a booth at a local flea market for all my W of Oz stuff (I was totally obsessed from birth so I had lots of stuff) and all that sold in like 3 weeks, so now I have some pieces of furniture in there and someone, no kidding, asked me to sign one of my pieces. The store called and said "Umm.. can you come in here, someone wants to meet you" So I went and they were like "Will you sign this for me, so I can have an original when you become famous" It was super flattering, but I'm pretty sure that the coffee table wasn't quite fame worthy.. It's nice because it gives me extra spending money, and I've already made enough to pay my rent ($40 for a 5 x 7 space) for the next 4 months and then some!

Off to Hobby Lobby!!! This is totally my favorite store!! http://hobbylobby.com/
    Photobucket
  • Options
    LetsHikeTodayLetsHikeToday member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_unicorns-glitter-nwr-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c2458dd9-48dc-4c09-9c7d-d302eafbf2b1Post:02f885a9-0b2c-42d4-a40d-54c443d777df">Re: Unicorns and Glitter.. NWR, Long</a>:
    [QUOTE]The link that C gave me is what I did, so it's easy, just slightly time consuming, and expensive!! I got reimbursed for everything, but I have to go out again today and get more tulle!! Crown and C- I'm really wanting to do it, but that it's right in the middle of our PCS!! We're still talking about it!! But I will totally make you some tutu's (or sell you the ones I have!) It's fun! Kara- Haha.. I'm sorry? My mom and I are both just super creative.  I want to major in interior design, but I feel like that's a TERRIBLE career for a military spouse since we'll be moving every few years and it's totally a client based profession. Alas, I'll probably do something boring and just do my fun furniture refurbishing on the side!! I opened a booth at a local flea market for all my W of Oz stuff (I was totally obsessed from birth so I had lots of stuff) and all that sold in like 3 weeks, so now I have some pieces of furniture in there and someone, no kidding, asked me to sign one of my pieces. The store called and said "Umm.. can you come in here, someone wants to meet you" So I went and they were like "Will you sign this for me, so I can have an original when you become famous" It was super flattering, but I'm pretty sure that the coffee table wasn't quite fame worthy.. It's nice because it gives me extra spending money, and I've already made enough to pay my rent ($40 for a 5 x 7 space) for the next 4 months and then some! Off to Hobby Lobby!!! This is totally my favorite store!! <a href="http://hobbylobby.com/" rel='nofollow'>http://hobbylobby.com/</a>
    Posted by SamiJoeB[/QUOTE]

You should be an etsy seller! I know it's not the same as interior design but etsy would be perfect for someone creative who moves around!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yay Sami!  That sounds fun!  I really want to do something like that, but there's no good flea markets near here that aren't totally sketchy.  If I were still in DC, there's tons!  I might do Etsy myself... my friend has a baby clothing 'glitzing' business, where she customizes baby clothes with crystals and gem, and she makes a bundle!  The other thing I'd do would be earring holders - I've made a few customized for friends over the years, and they all still have them and use them!  It cost maybe $5 to make each one, took maybe 30 minutes plus whatever time for customization, and I could easily sell them for $30!

Anniversary

• Options
    kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Sami: That's really cool! How about you have military families as your client base too? Since we always move around, I'm sure you can find clients. I can be one, if you are willing to go to VA! lol 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_unicorns-glitter-nwr-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c2458dd9-48dc-4c09-9c7d-d302eafbf2b1Post:97a7ecb9-04b4-4de8-b4e0-2d3565bf2a85">Re: Unicorns and Glitter.. NWR, Long</a>:
    [QUOTE]crownsuperstar - I ran that last year!  And I'm running it this year!!!  And my brother's girlfriend is running with me!  And Sami is probably running it, too, or I'll come up to North Carolina and drag her butt down!!!  YAY!!! I made a tutu for the race last year, and I gave Sami the instructions, so I assume that's what she's using.  It's actually really easy - I made about a dozen of them for girls who were in my training group for the half marathon.   It was purple, as I was running with the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's Team in Training, whose color is - you guessed it - purple! This is the basic concept: <a href="http://www.momaroo.com/733711626/princess-no-sew-tulle-skirt-tutorial/" rel='nofollow'>http://www.momaroo.com/733711626/princess-no-sew-tulle-skirt-tutorial/</a> Except I took really stretchy cottony comfortable 1.5" wide elastic and sewed it together to make it easier to wear while running.  It fit comfortably over my running capris, and even hid my water belt!

Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

A friend of mine and I ran it last year and I would swear that I heard the birds from every Disney movie singing in my ear.  I have done an 1/2 before but this was the best by far.  That is the only 1/2 I am running this year and cannot wait!!! Was it not the best ever!!!

Sami- you totally need to do it!!! It really is the most magical 13.1 miles out there.  We are trying to get one of another one of our friends that is just starting to run this summer.  You can TOTALLY do it!!!

Would love some people to virtual train with!!! Message if y'all want to.  Running in the heat of the good ol' south is really hard!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_unicorns-glitter-nwr-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c2458dd9-48dc-4c09-9c7d-d302eafbf2b1Post:97f1f49c-0b91-4821-8bc7-e0756ea75935">Re: Unicorns and Glitter.. NWR, Long</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Unicorns and Glitter.. NWR, Long : A friend of mine and I ran it last year and I would swear that I heard the birds from every Disney movie singing in my ear.  I have done an 1/2 before but this was the best by far.  That is the only 1/2 I am running this year and cannot wait!!! Was it not the best ever!!! Sami- you totally need to do it!!! It really is the most magical 13.1 miles out there.  We are trying to get one of another one of our friends that is just starting to run this summer.  You can TOTALLY do it!!! Would love some people to virtual train with!!! Message if y'all want to. <strong> Running in the heat of the good ol' south is really hard!!!</strong>
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

Ugh.. No kidding!! If I don't get up by like 530 and run, I can't do it until 9 or so and even then sometimes it's still way too hot!!

I've thought about Etsy, but I'm still mildly shocked people buy my stuff..
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards