Military Brides

Calling CAB...

Hi lady!

I have a hair question for you. My dad is a hair dresser so I could ask him but he is busy during the day and don't want to call him.

So my hair is thick. Thicker than any hair my dad has ever styled. He complains every time he highlights and cuts it but I remind him I have his hair. :-)

Anyway, I usually blow it dry and use a straightener. My hair has a natural wave. Being in the south, I don't want to continue doing that because it will damage the shiit out of it. Especially with the sun and then adding a hot hair dryer and hot straightener.

My problem is, I'm not sure what product to use to keep frizz away and keep the wavy but also not have my hair expand to clown height.

Any product suggestions?
imageBabyFruit Ticker

Re: Calling CAB...

• I use the same thing as cal :)
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • Love <this> shizz. Detangles and defrizzes for when I leave it curly, heat protector when I straighten. That plus a little John Frieda serum and I'm good to go!
  • I love all things John Frieda.  The products seem to work great on my super chemically treated hair and I don't get sticker shock when I buy the products.  Oh and I love Bumble and Bumble when I want a treat. 
  • edited January 2012
    I really like the product Irish uses (It's a 10!) That stuff it awesomesauce. Also, I have very VERY thick and frizzy hair. The best thing that I have used is by Johnathan

http://www.amazon.com/Jonathan-Product-Create-Straight-Straightening/dp/B001KYRU2G

Holy cow, its that stuff good! You notice it right away. Unfortunately, I do have to straighten my hair daily, just to get some kinks out, but for the most part, it keeps it straight, and does not frizz in humidity. (At least CA humidity, which can be significantly less than the humidity you'll have to deal with)

Something else that I've used and really liked is this one by Enjoy:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=333271&catid=183487&aid=338666&aparam=333271

I sold this to someone years ago who was in town from somewhere very humid (can't remember where, I wanna say maybe PR?) And she seriously CALLED ME weeks later when she was back in her home town to tell me how amazing this worked for her out there. What I like about this one is that it's not a serum, but a lightweight "gel". It's not sticky like a gel, and you can't even tell it's in your hair.
  • Thanks friends!

I shall try some new products!
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:e6e1adad-1bf5-4785-8af0-0267d9528fb3">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, also... what flat iron do you use? That has a lot to do with frizz maintenance...
    Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE]

CAB- I noticed that too when I changed from one flat iron to another kind.  One of my friends borrowed mine and she said "I think my hair just got straight looking at your flat iron.  HAA That is one my thing that I cannot/will not live without. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:9dfef994-e5f6-41f9-9399-b33afbc0d091">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling CAB... : CAB- I noticed that too when I changed from one flat iron to another kind.  One of my friends borrowed mine and she said "I think my hair just got straight looking at your flat iron.  HAA That is one my thing that I cannot/will not live without. 
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

Seriously... my hair hardly ever frizzes after investing in a really good flat iron. Something about locking in the moisture... I forget how it works. But, I have a fancy GHD, which costs a ton of money, buttt I've had it forever, and it also curls my hair, AND I don't spend an hour straightening it like I used to, andddd my hair is healthier because of it. Please do not make me go into the science of this project because I will talk your ear off about it. LOL!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:876ae1fc-2292-42c6-9ba5-23c48cb8ca90">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling CAB... : Seriously... <strong>my hair hardly ever frizzes after investing in a really good flat iron.</strong> Something about locking in the moisture... I forget how it works. But, I have a fancy GHD, which costs a ton of money, buttt I've had it forever, and it also curls my hair, AND I don't spend an hour straightening it like I used to, andddd my hair is healthier because of it. Please do not make me go into the science of this project because I will talk your ear off about it. LOL!

<div>Ditto that. I love my flat iron and it's the BEST I've ever had. It makes my hair soo pretty and shiny! </div>
  • CAB- I won 2nd place in the 8th grade Science Fair because I did the chemical difference between a traditional perm (one that curls) and one of those old school straightener (where the hair was permed first and then set on big rollers and the straightener solution was added) it was professionally called a reverse perm.  I was the person getting the reverse perm and another person was getting the perm.  I had pictures and everything.  It was great. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:cb457208-de6d-4789-bab8-3a7e52e870ee">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]CAB- I won 2nd place in the 8th grade Science Fair because I did the chemical difference between a traditional perm (one that curls) and one of those old school straightener (where the hair was permed first and then set on big rollers and the straightener solution was added) it was professionally called a reverse perm.  I was the person getting the reverse perm and another person was getting the perm.  I had pictures and everything.  It was great. 
    Posted by crownsuperstar[/QUOTE]

OK, that is seriously COOL, crown!
  • Thanks!  I am still bitter I did not get 1st place.  HAAA Don't think for one second that if H and I have kids when science fairs roll around I will be pulling that idea back out. Of course the will have to do their own work and use a different straighting system but it would be good way for me to get my hair done in the name of science.  ;)
  • In Response to Re: Calling CAB...:
    [QUOTE]I really like the product Irish uses (It's a 10!) That stuff it awesomesauce.
    I'm doing something right?!?!? Sweeeet. Actually, truly the other thing is I also invested in a good straightener ($200 for an $89 Groupon. Baller.) and it makes my straight hair mad shiny.
  • I use morocan oil (sp?) and my Amika straightener. I'm still kicking myself for how much I spent on the oil, need to use it more regularly
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:3eb018bf-27fb-4f69-8cd6-14556ecd3d32">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling CAB... : [QUOTE ]I really like the product Irish uses (It's a 10!) That stuff it awesomesauce. Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE] I'm doing something right?!?!? Sweeeet. Actually, truly the other thing is I also invested in a good straightener (<strong>$200 for an $89 Groupon. Baller</strong>.) and it makes my straight hair mad shiny.
    Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE]

Irish, which iron?

Zims, Moroccan oil is great, but you can get it for much much cheaper by using an off brand. Also, I hear that getting Coconut oil and using that as a treatment is amazing! It's the next thing I am going to try.
  • It's a Sedu.
  • Irish: I hate you for getting such a good deal on it! I LOVE my Sedu! Best Iron Ever!!!
  • kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:6667487e-3d9e-4b05-b4fd-ea66358030e6">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ohhhh those are GOOODDDD Irons! Nice score, Irish!

<div>Yes they are!!! </div><div>
    </div><div>After my Chi broke, I had to find another flat iron. I didn't like my Chi very much too so I searched up a lot about flat irons and found that Sedu had the best reviews. I went out and got it  and ended up loving it and I won't ever change it! </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:b71b22a1-9077-46e7-9d44-365976bf3e4f">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling CAB... : I'm doing something right?!?!? Sweeeet. Actually, truly the other thing is I also invested in a good straightener ( $200 for an $89 Groupon. Baller .) and it makes my straight hair mad shiny. Posted by Irishcurls[/QUOTE] Irish, which iron? Zims, Moroccan oil is great, but you can get it for much much cheaper by using an off brand. Also, I hear that getting Coconut oil and using that as a treatment is amazing! It's the next thing I am going to try.
    Yeah I'm still mad how much I spent lol. I'd never heard of it before but it made my hair look good/stay straight lol
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:3736729b-a862-48bd-be95-ae9fb2dc1a82">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Calling CAB... : Irish, which iron? Zims, Moroccan oil is great, but you can get it for much much cheaper by using an off brand. Also, I hear that getting Coconut oil and using that as a treatment is amazing! It's the next thing I am going to try. Posted by CAB1217[/QUOTE] Yeah I'm still mad how much I spent lol. I'd never heard of it before but it made my hair look good/stay straight lol
    Posted by Zimsgirl26[/QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, its great stuff! But you could use something like the one from Organix which is totally cheaper, and it gets you the same result :) I have a tiny bottle of Moroccan oil at home from over a year ago, and I use it on special occasions :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_calling-cab?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:c60d835d-bfd3-4c5b-a0f7-bd430effbba7Post:6667487e-3d9e-4b05-b4fd-ea66358030e6">Re: Calling CAB...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ohhhh those are GOOODDDD Irons! Nice score, Irish!
    YAYYY!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards