Military Brides
Options

Where is Everyone?

This board has been quiet recently. I've tried popping in every once in a while but see that no one has really posted anything.

I have a question. So two weeks after S and I get married he's leaving for MP school. So basically that is the equivalent to AIT school? Same thing? I get confused with terms and names. Anyway, since he's finished BC and OCS, does anyone know what I can expect?

I warned him about picking school during the summer (he didn't listen) because I cannot handle heat. I'm pretty short tempered as it is and when you throw in uncomfortable heat I basically turn into the Hulk at any given moment. He wants me to visit him as much as I can. We assume he has evenings and weekends off? Again I have the memory of a gold fish so I'm not sure about his time off. But I work full time and after our honeymoon I will be negative with vacation/sick hours at work so I have to wait it out for a few weeks/months to build up more.

I'm hoping to make it out there in September and I hope the weather is cooler by then. What also blows is that there is NOTHING to do there. Unless we drive 2 hours into a big city which I don't even know if it is allowed.

So after my long winded drabble...anyone have any input? I appreciate it!
image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: Where is Everyone?

• Options
    Hi!  I think I remember you from when I was just a mere lurker.  Anyways, the board has indeed been quite dead.  Sometimes posts get deleted so it looks like no one has posted in a while.  Also, the IT issues are frustrating and that might deter some people from posting as much (like me Smile)

Now to your questions!  I am not familiar with MP school, but H is at BOLC right now so we've dealt with trying to figure out visits.  I don't think you should assume he has evenings and weekends off (again, I don't have much knowledge of MP school though).  H *usually* does, but sometimes they'll go out in the field for a couple days, and they probably have class every other Saturday.  I visited him once a couple months ago, and we did our best to plan around his training schedule, although it's always changing.  He actually had his class canceled the Saturday morning of our visit so we got even more time together!  I am going again the weekend of memorial day.  It's a long weekend, and this is something I would recommend trying to plan visits for.  Your then H might have a three day weekend for labor day, so that might be an option if you're looking at September. 

H is also two hours away from a big city, in the middle of nowwhere.  Last time I flew into said big city and rented a car to drive two hours to the base.  We found some local places to eat, he gave me tour of the base, we went on a walk in the park on base, watched a movie, and just had plenty of time to chill and catch up!  It really wasn't bad at all...we were just happy to spend time together.  This coming weekend, we are actually meeting up in the city that's two hours away for a fun getaway to celebrate my graduation.  He had to sign up for a pass to be allowed to go there.  I know as time went on, they were allowed to go farther and farther off base with permission.  So that probably just depends on how his school works.

Sorry that turned out to be so long...hopefully at least something was helpful!
  • Options
    MP as in Military Police?  If he's attending that A school (or whatever his branch calls it), he's going to be a busy body for awhile. I believe it's only a few months at the most for this school. It's not AIT, it's a trade school, if I'm thinking of the right thing.  (I'm in the Navy, so everyone else's acronyms sometimes confuse me!)  However, if he's an officer, he might get a little more freedom.  Usually they like for their people to be focused on whatever it is they're learning rather than giving everyone a lot of free time while at a school.  There's always the potential of getting unlucky and being put on a watch bill too, so it's best not to assume he'll have weekends and all evenings free.  You'll most likely have to wait until he's actually there before figuring out his schedule, if you can even visit or not and when you can visit.  Sometimes the instructors/command can be super strict and MPs are high on that list.

Another thing, make sure he finds out right away about his command's liberty policies!  That's usually the first thing everyone asks about though.  There are usually restictions on how far from base (if at all) you can go and if you can be out overnight, etc.  And there is always paperwork involved.

Don't stress it too much.  It's a rather short school =],  Just don't be too surprised if you can't visit.  It'll just make it that much better when he graduates and you get to be together all the time.  Irh17 does have a point about Labor Day though!

Hope that was at least a little helpful and sorry it is a really long post!
  • Options
    Thank you both for your input. Yes sorry, MP for Military Police. It is a short school, only 4-5 months. Again, not really paying attention when I get info; I'm having a hard time with him being in the Army and an Officer. Not only does he have his regular duties but when he's not working he's writing papers/reviews/trainings. I feel like I might resent it at times, but really, what choice do I have? But I know it'll be short lived. He has somewhere else to be 6 months later and he'll be gone for a LONG time. :(

It's challenging because everything is subject to change and no one here has been through the same exact experience to be able to know 100% what will happen. As of now I'm counting on 'wait till he gets there and figures everything out' which is how the last two trainings went.

He is an officer so I know that might make a difference. I was just wondering if maybe someone here has experience with an officer being in MP school?

Irh17, that sounds like when Fi was at OCS. One weekend he got to spend Friday evening through Sunday with me. It was glorious and uninterrupted and we barely left the room. haha

Fi can be pretty 'by the books' and is very responsible, dependable and trustworthy. Honestly didn't know guys like that still existed; he's really my prince charming. I'm pretty much nothing like that haha. I try to get away with everything, so it's hard to go through this with your significant other when there are restrictions on most everything.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards