Military Brides
Options

Attie question, opinions ladies?

So FI is going to wear his blue for the wedding.

We have 3 GMs and 3 BMs. The BMs are all wearing matching dresses.

Of the guys, two are civilians and one is also a Marine. So we were going to have the Marine wear his blues and the civilans would wear tuxes. We went and picked out the tuxes today, CK, black with a vest and tie that match the colors of my BMs.

But FI was thinking maybe the guy that's a Marine should wear a tux too, because then our entire WP matches each other. What do you think? I mean he's earned the right to wear blues....but we could ask him to wear a tux too.....

FI likes that all the GMs would match just like the BMs.

We're also doing a sword ceremony, so there will be other Marines there who will be in uniform obviously. So I'd feel bad he'd be in civilian attire.....

Thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Attie question, opinions ladies?

• Options
    hh581842hh581842 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hmmm...I wouldn't feel bad.  I think if anything else, it highlights your groom and makes for a very cohesive look for the wedding party.  Also, this wedding is about the two of you, if it's what you want then go for it.  

My only apprehension is that I don't know all the etiquette rules with wearing uniforms.  I would check and make sure there's no strange uniform rule that says, IDK, that at events, one MUST wear one's uniform if the host is wearing his!! or something lol.  You know?  I mean, your FI should know if it's in bad taste to not have the GM wear his uniform.  If nothing else, there's no harm in asking the GM in question. it may not be important to him to wear his uniform at your wedding. My BF, for example, prefers not to wear his uniform outside of work because he already has to wear it all day, he doesn't want to wear it in his free time, and he feels uncomfortable with all the pple coming up to him thanking him for his service lol.  Plus, the military controls so much of our lives, i think he kind of doesn't want it to rule his private wardrobe as well.  Lol. 

hope that helped!
  • Options
    rojobrorojobro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is no rule saying that a military service member has to wear his uniform to civilian events unless ordered to by their chain of command.  Like Heidi said most service members would rather not wear their uniform if they had a choice.
    At our wedding in June my fiance is wearing his dinner dress blues and his groomsmen, two of whom are military members, are wearing tuxes.  We've even told our military friend attending the wedding not to feel pressured to wear their uniforms.  Maybe try asking the groomsmen if he would feel more comfortable matching the other groomsmen in a tux or in his uniform.  Either way I'm sure it's going to be a lovely wedding. :)
    ~Jodi
  • Options
    Marcia1215Marcia1215 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with the other posters who suggested asking the gm how he feels. My FI is a Marine as well and is very into being a Marine. If there were other Marines in uniform at an event he would want to wear his. But I know some Marines that find the dress uniform uncomfortable and would prefer not to wear it if they didn't have to. He may fall into the second category and want to wear something more comfortable.
    If he prefers to wear his uniform, I don't think it will look mismatched if he wears his uniform and the other GM's wear tuxes. I've been to weddings before where the wedding party was mixed military and civilian dress and it looked good.
  • Options
    evabeeevabee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think if this is a hardnfast but my FI is a Marine and he has to notify his command to wear his uniform and have the saber arch, because it's a ceremony and the blues are the ceremonial dress. Because of this, all active military personnel are supposed to be in dress uniform (across all branches). When he talked to his mentor about it, he said that most people don't follow proper protocol and nobody really cares but that's what you're supposed to do.

Our officiant is a colonel in the Army, our best man is an enlisted marine, the groom and our groomsmen are all Marine Corps officers, and my bridesmen are all civillians (2 women in dresses and 3 men in tuxes), so our wedding party has a bunch of different looks, haha.

I think that you can do whatever you want, really, but I thought this might be helpful!
  • Options
    rojobrorojobro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Where is that listed in the UCMJ?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think he'd look fine his uniform, but I suppose the best course of action would be to have your FI talk to his GM about it.  See how the GM feels.  Maybe he doesn't even want to wear his uniform. 
    "This is the most extraordinary thing about motherhood - finding a piece of yourself separate and apart that all the same you could not live without." ? Jodi Picoult Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would have them all wear tux, unless the marine is the bestman.. gl!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    blscholdblschold member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also say that is kind of up to him.  One of our GM will be in dress blues with my FI and the rest in tuxes.  Ive seen it done and I dont think it looks bad at all
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Why don't you ask the groomsmen what they'd like to wear? Problem solved.Smile
    imageGraphics In a world of crazy we need as many hugs as we can get.
  • Options
    dswish52dswish52 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should leave it up to the GM's wishes. Ask him if he'd prefer to wear his uniform or a tux. Maybe he doesn't want to stand out, and maybe he'd be proud to be in uniform. My FI is wearing dress blues and we are inviting any military to wear theirs as well, but not requiring. =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards