April 2012 Weddings
Options

XP : Would this seating arrangement be confusing?

I posted on another board already, but I always enjoy the feedback you ladies give! :)

I hope I'm explaining this in a way that easy to envision, but FI and I are trying to work out our seating arrangements and the coordinator at the venue told us we could pretty much set up the tables however we like. We decided that instead of doing separate tables, we'd like to do one continuous table in a sort of U shape (they are long rectangular tables.) We figured our guests would sit at this table, on both sides as opposed to all sitting on one side and only being about to mingle with those directly next to them. This way we're not doing this table of 10, this of 8, this one with 6 etc etc. trying to keep people near others that they know. We would have a head table that would essentially be looking into the U shape. These are my concerns:

Is it an issue if some other the guests have their back to the head table during the meal? Not that I want all eyes on me & the wedding party, but do people expect the be all facing the head table?

Will this be confusing for guests as far as where to sit? We will have place cards, but I'm wondering if we should put them on the table at the entrance and let the guests figure out where in that area to sit, or just assign individual seats and have the place cards at the table already? These are grown adults we're talking about, I don't want to assume that our guests aren't capable of figuring out how to go about seating.

Thoughts/advice?

Re: XP : Would this seating arrangement be confusing?

• Options
    I've seen this done, but at small weddings. When I say small, I mean 20-30 people. It would have to be a huge U to fit 95 people. I think people are pretty capable of finding their own seats. If you want to assign them, then perhaps you can assign each seat with a number & then assign each person to a number? 

I like the idea of having everyone closer, just not sure if it would work for so many. I wouldn't worry about the fact that some will give you their back because that always happens with any arrangement, even with large round or square tables.
  • Options
    I agree with Renata-- I think it would look amazing with a small guest list, but 95 might be a bit chaotic. I would definitely want to sit facing the dance floor so I can see all that is going on, esp for first dance, cake cutting etc. What if you did a mix of round & rectangle tables? I've seen that in pictures and I think it looks really cool!
    We're married! And we're ready to sell! http://nauticalwedding.weebly.com/index.html
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Sorry, I'm not a fan of the idea.  Perhaps its because for me it seems a little too much like a corporate luncheon setup.  I think if you are sold on it, then you seem to have the logisitics planned out.  There will always be someone with thier back to the dance floor or head table so I wouldn't worry about that.
    How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I like it - I think it would look really cool with so many people.  I also think it is fine that peoples backs are to you because all they have to do is swivle in their chair a bit and they can see you for all the special moments.  I like the idea of assigning numbers and maybe just putting some signs so people have an idea of where to go
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards