Options

Army Reserves?

2»

Re: Army Reserves?

• Options
    iluvmytxrgriluvmytxrgr member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:4834571f-f196-41fa-8da5-f19e4b51b96e">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI is in the Reserves. He has to do 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. He said he would have to deploy at least once but is not sure about deployment times. (I would be thrilled if it was only 90 days!) I'm not sure what else you need to know, but if you have questions let me know and I'll ask him. ;)
    Posted by tyleet87[/QUOTE]
    Most Reservist had been deploying for 12 months.  It has all recently changed to 9 months, including Pre-MOB (training) time. 
    Dental is one of the exceptions with shorter deployments. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    picnic2012picnic2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Uh my husband's uncle was reserves and he got deployed for 11 months. I don't think 90 days is true. Seems like a waste on the Army's part to send you international for 30 days. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:242f05a3-bc21-463e-b4a0-42cd660d95d7">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Uh my husband's uncle was reserves and he got deployed for 11 months. I don't think 90 days is true. Seems like a waste on the Army's part to send you international for 30 days. 
    Posted by picnic2012[/QUOTE]

It would be a waste... if he were in combat. But since he will not be, its a different story. (Remember, he will be a DENTIST for the Army.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_army-reserves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:ee38b080-e5e3-4193-b4c9-cc48b48867aePost:35a9a6f3-9b8e-4946-a246-7ca49adfa804">Re: Army Reserves?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I served in the Reserves for 6 years.  Don't count on the 1 week end/ 2 weeks thing.  People who have only had to that time, other than deployments, are rare.  Just like in the AD Army, he will be required to attend certain schools.  His annual training (AT) can be anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 weeks or more.  It could be a great opportunity for im and open other doors to AD, but just be aware that the time frame recruiters give you about the Reserves, especially if they have never been a Reservisit, is not always correct.  As far as the dental corps, from what I've seen of the unit I used to sub with, their deployments are fairly short and far apart.  Their deployments are also not just to the middle east.  They visit many, many other countries on humanitarian missions.  The unit I did RST training with had been to Haiti and several African countries. 
    Posted by iluvmytxrgr[/QUOTE]
    Thank you for all of your information! You've been so helpful with this. Yes, from the beginning, I told FI that I wouldn't count on the 2 wks/1 wknd thing. This is what I thought was "too good to be true". If it were up to be, he'd be a full on Army Dentist, and the goal is for him to get to that point, so really if its more time, the better in my eyes. I feel like he should be working more due the the money they are going to pay him for his schooling, so I am not buying that from the recruiter even a little bit. I am worried that if he does work in a private practice, that he could have some conflict with the timing. FI's brother was an Army Dentist in Savannah, which is why we want to go there, too. We have a house to rent (his brothers) and connections, and, of course, Savannah is gorgeous!

Now, if by chance he is deployed for longer than 3 months, I will understand. I'm sure it could happen, and would not be opposed to it. He wants the chance to be deployed, as well.
  • Options
    tyleet87tyleet87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How lucky! I want to visit Savannah so badly! I only got to see Columbus and Atlanta last time I was in Georgia. (And I've been twice. :/ )

I hope it all works out for you. :)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards