Military Brides
Options

ARMY wives i need help!

my husband didnt pass his PT test today and that makes it twice in a row now, he passes everything except his run, he missed it by 20 seconds!!! they already stared his paper work to get him chaptered out.... as their anything i can do? some way to delay it? some loop hole that i dont know about?....anything would help!!!

Re: ARMY wives i need help!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear that! It sounds like a situation that would be unlikely for *you* to be able to do anything about... Has your husband asked his chain of command? Does he have a medical excuse?
    White Knot Visit The Knot! Daisypath Graduation tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry to hear this...
    Unfortunately the military is cutting their numbers across the board... There is nothing YOU can do but be supportive of what he is going through right now. I'm sure it's incredibly stressful for both of you... :/
    The only thing to do is to support him. He can talk to his command to see IF there IS anything he can do, but if they are already working on the paperwork he may need to come to terms with it.. Let us know how everything goes...
  • Options
    court476court476 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    he has no medical excuse though we really think that he has small fractures in his shins from having repeated shin splints, and no he has not asked hos chain of command anything yet (he will later today) i just wanted to know if their was something i could do on my end about it....?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If he goes and talks to the CoC they may let him get medical clearance because of the shin splints. If that's the case they MAY let him do the elyptical instead of the mile run (which isn't easy, trust me, but it'll be betterif the shin splints is really what is causing the failing of the pt) Unfortunately that doesn't make those two pt failures magically disappear, but it can give him a better chance...
  • Options
    court476court476 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    for the elliptical how many/much would he have to do? cause hes pretty good at that :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's based on 1.5 miles on the elliptical (I believe it's 12 minutes in the Navy) and they use the caloric output to convert into the "run time" of a mile.. so it's different for every one since that number will be different depending on how tall you are or how much you weigh. Definitely something for your guy to look into..
  • Options
    Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    DH did the eliptical due to his back issues.  I don't remember what DH had to do to pass the eliptical.  It was X amount of calories burned in X amount of time.  He went and figured out where he had to set the machine to do the required amount (at the minimum) about 2 weeks before he did the actual test.  He actually said that once he had figured out where he needed to set the machine it was actually pretty easy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The eliptical is not an approved alternate aerobic event for the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test).  The only approved alternate aerobic events are the 800yd swim, 6.2 mi bike ride, or 2.5 mi walk.  But the Soldier must have a medical profile preventing them from doing the 2 mi run.

As for your husband's commander initiating separation paperwork, this is what the regulation says:  Initiation of separation proceedings is required for Soldiers without medical limitations who have two consecutive failures of the Army physical fitness test per AR 350–1 or who are eliminated for cause from Noncommissioned Officer Education System courses, unless the responsible commander chooses to impose a bar to re-enlistment per AR601–280 (RA Soldiers) or AR 140–111 (USAR AGR Soldiers). 

This is from Army Regulation 635-200 (Active Duty Administrative Enlisted Separations) Paragraph 13-2e.

There are no "loop holes" provided the APFTs were administered correctly according to regulation.  Just because the chapter paperwork has been started does not mean it's final.  All the regulation states is that it must be initiatedIt is at the commander's discretion.  He can choose to separate your husband or retain him.  I would recommend your husband talk to his chain of command, AND work his butt of to prove he is worth keeping.
  • Options
    court476court476 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

he could easily get a medical profile for his shins, hes just stubborn and wont lol,

my husband and i were talking earlier about the situation and another solider over herd us and told us to go to trial defense services, because my husband (and many of the other soldiers in his company) thinks that the places where they run is longer then 2 miles , but its never been put to the test, so were thinking that that might be something to go off of

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's an idea.. but that might piss off your command if he goes to question them all because he is too stubborn to go check id medical situation... And since it's at the commanders discretion, that may not be the best way to approach it IMO.. Thanks TeamB for the info, I wasn't sure if the army approved it yet or not! That's nice that the bike is though!
  • Options
    kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    None of us can help him. Tell him to go immediately to see a JAG. They are the ONLY person who can help him besides his chain. But that's what they're there for. To help with any adverse action being taken against a service member, which would include a PT failure leading to a discharge.

ETA: And don't worry about upsetting his command. He has a right to seek legal counsel when an adverse action is being taken against him, and his command can NOT take extraneous adverse action against him for seeing an attorney.
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Options
    court476court476 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank yall. yall have been a BIG help truly. if you think of anything else that might help him in  any way or that you forgot please put them on here. i will give him your suggestions when he gets home form work
  • Options
    nsineckinsinecki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You also see if there is another unit close by having there PT test soon and see if your husband can take the test with them. Cross your fingers and make sure he gets plenty of sleep the night before. Good Luck
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What can you do to help? You can run with him to help him make his time. You can encourage him to run. Thats about it. The Army has a clear outline on what standard you have to meet in order to stay Army and if you can't make it, then you cant be in the Army. If he truely has a medical issue and his choices are to 1. ignore the problem and continue to fail 2. seek medical attention and possibly get the help he needs. Its really up to HIM if he wants to be successful. He has no one to blame but himself. Not his command, not his shins, etc ...
    BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards