Military Brides

Military Dependent ID

I have been Googling like crazy and can't find a straight answer, but I'm probably looking in all the wrong places. I have a couple different questions.

For those that are married, what documents are needed to get your military dependent ID? I've seen marriage certificate, birth certificate, social security card, passport, any government issued form of ID...a whole bunch of different things.

If you do need your social security card and/or a driver's license or passport as documentation, does the last name of those documents need to match up with the name that will be on your dependent ID? In other words...say my maiden name is Jane Doe, but when I marry it will change to Jane Smith (as verified on the marriage license and certificate). If I bring in the marriage certificate with the new name Jane Smith but my social security card still says Jane Doe, will they not accept this? Do I have to switch all other documents over to my new name before getting the dependent ID?

Is your birthdate and photo on your military dependent ID?

I'm trying to figure this all out because I need to book a flight (like, immediately) for early June and I'm unsure if I should use my maiden name or my new last name (I will not be able to get my dependent ID until mid-May after we receive the marriage certificate). If I can get the dependent ID by just showing proof of marriage and a driver's license (even though it has my maiden name) then that would be fine...because you get the ID the day you go in and apply for it, correct? You don't have to wait for them to mail it or anything?

If it is going to be a headache, I will just wait to do all the name-changing after I return from my trip. The main thing is we want to apply for on-base housing ASAP to get on the list, is this possible to do with just the marriage certificate? Even if the marriage certificate indicates I have changed my last name, but all other forms of ID that I have do not reflect the change yet?

I'm sorry if I'm rambling..it's late here and I've had a crazy long day and I'm just trying to get all these thoughts straight. Thanks for any light you can shed on the topic.
PersonalMilestone Anniversary

Re: Military Dependent ID

• kara811kara811 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi there. I actually just got my ID less than a week ago, so I should have at least some answers for you!

The documents we needed when we got my ID was the certified marriage certificate, 2 forms of ID(passport & license), and you should know your social security number, BUT it's better to have the card with you, this way you get the license quicker. Atleast this is what the guy told us here on base in Japan(but maybe that's only overseas), he said without the card, you'll have to wait like 10 days to get the ID, but we were able to get mine that same day since I had it on me. It was a very quick process.

And your picture and DOB will be on your ID, it will also have your H's name & SS number and even yours as well, so be very careful with it! I'm not quite sure with the rest of your questions, but I would think that the name on the certificate would have to match your forms of IDs as well(totally unsure of this). You can always call on base ahead of time and ask them yourself before you go in there for it.

It's best to book your trip with your maiden name. I wouldn't risk booking it with your new name because processing of new passport can take long sometimes. Then just change your name later on, this is what I'm doing. Hope this helps!
  • Sammy0709Sammy0709 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure all bases are different.  I needed DH with me, a copy of my marriage license, and my driver's license.  I would call your DEERS office and ask them what you need for their office specifically.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't need my passport, just the marriage license and my driver's license, and soc. sec. card.  My ID was the first thing we did after the wedding, so it was the first thing I had in my married name.  It's fine if your license is in your maiden name because your marriage certificate should say what name you are going by after the wedding.  We filled ours out saying I would be going by my married name after the wedding, so that was all we needed in that name.

The nice thing about doing the ID first is that you get it instantly, where with a license and a soc. sec. card you have to wait for it to be mailed to you.  So we did that first, and that was my new form of ID that I used.  We were moving out of state after the wedding so I didn't even change my license until I got my WA license and had them change my name.  

If you are just flying within the US, you are fine to book it in your married name because you will have your ID immediately, and that is all you need when you fly.  It has your photo and birthdate on it, as well as your H's SSN.  

As for your marriage license, I would ask at your town or city hall (ours was done at the City Clerk at city hall) about rush processing because of the military.  Our license would have taken about 3-4 weeks to come in, but we needed it ASAP because we were PCS-ing so soon.  We asked at the office what they could do, and they told us to get the certificate back from the officiant and bring it into the office in person after the wedding and they would process it that day.  I went in the Monday after the wedding and they processed it in about 15 minutes for me, and we paid $10 to have a second official copy made.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    As a DEERS operator, what you need is marriage lic, 2 forms of ID with one being picture (DL and SSC work best), also SSC is needed due to typing in your SSN we want to ensure it's right....ALL places per the reg are suppose to make you have your spouse with you, but not all places are strict on it...I'd call t make sure you don't need any appointments and to see if your husband needs to go or if you just need his SSN.
  • ESquared423ESquared423 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome, thank you all so much for answering! I'll call the DEERS office here tomorrow and double-check everything.

@helenobereiner - So it's okay if my DL and SSC have my maiden name on them? My dependent ID will be issued in my new last name, which will be on the marriage certificate.

Obviously I'll be switching all documents over to my new last name eventually, but I that will take a little longer. I just wanted to be sure I would have my dependent ID in time for my trip in June and that I could use it as ID at the airport. We are having our certificate rushed and were told we would have it within 1-2 weeks of the wedding date. *Phew!* One less thing to stress out about!
    PersonalMilestone Anniversary
  • Beachy730Beachy730 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes you are definitely okay to have your maiden name on your license and soc. sec. card.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    yea me personally, i used it either or....or if you had already changed your DL and waiting on SSC or vice versa...as long as i can piece it together that you are you, i'm good with whatever name it has :)  GOOD LUCK!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards