Military Brides
Options

Pet Peeves

I'm in a ticked off mood today, probably because I have to go back to work and I don't want to!!!  Only 19 more weeks until we can move... if only that would go just a little bit faster.

On my month board and my local board, they'll often ask about honeymoon destinations.  The two things that have really ruffled my feathers recently is people who a) immediately assume everything in the Caribbean is impossible to go to in August/September because of hurricane season, and b) refuse to go to Mexico because of the violence.

It's just an example of people parroting what they hear without actually knowing anything about it.  I live in Miami.  365 days a year.  I have been here 3 years.  We have NOT had a hurricane, we might have had 2, possibly 3, tropical storms.  A grand total of maybe 5 days of stormy weather that would cause flight disruptions.  Sure, there's a chance that there will be rain during their vacation, but that's true ANYWHERE.  People should just buy trip insurance for the 1-in-1000 chance their vacation gets stormed out and then get over it if that's where they want to go.

And Mexico - the violence is in the northern border towns, not in Cancun.  I feel terrible for the Mexican economy by how the media has twisted this around - they've seen a significant decline in tourism over the last few years.  It's ridiculous.  The violence is Mexican-on-Mexican and related to drugs and VERY far away from Quintana Roo (where Cancun/Cozumel are located).  It's like saying don't go to Pennsylvania because there's crime in Arizona.  Makes no sense, but Americans can't seem to differentiate regions within other countries.  Sure, there's some tourist crime, but mostly muggings and that's no different (in fact, far better) than it's been for several decades even when tourism is at its peak. 

Okay, that's my vent.  Anyone else?

Anniversary

Re: Pet Peeves

• Options
    I was thinking about a pet peeve yesterday but I'm at a loss right now. On Mexico, DH and I were trying to go from Oceanside to 32nd street to pick up extra PT gear for his deployment a few months ago. We passed a sign that said "No guns in Mexico". I was thinking, "why is that sign all the way out in San Diego?". The next sign read "Mexico 2 miles". From the looks of what was on the other side of the border, that doesn't seem like a nice place. My cousin went to Cancun and loved it for her HM.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sammy- I have a friend who is in el centro working for border patrol. Definitely not a nice area from what he says. Hmmm pet peeves.. Having a non existent supervisor at work. People assuming I'm pregnant everytime I have a headache. When there is nothing on tv. I have more. Gotta think.
  • Options
    GG-wait what having a headache means you are preggo?  Oh my then I am way pass the Duggers on the numbe of children I should have.  HAAA

H and I went to Mexcio on our honeymoon and loved it. We went just outside of Cancun and it was AWESOME!! Oh and please every trip we plan to the Caribbean is during hurricane season.  That is when you get the best deal.  Oh and like you said that is what trip insurance is for.  Also, lets be honest, I live in a hurricane zone and being blown away on vaca is way more fun then at home.  :)

• Options
    I was reading the JOP/PPD post on etiquette and I really hate how people assume that having a VR means you are gift grabby. I specifically asked people NOT to bring gifts. I have a feeling the etiquette board would flame me just for having a VR prior to my 10 year anniversary so I have resolved to continue lurking. Maybe I'm reading in to it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pet-peeves-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:fae07f23-5b2e-40c0-88a5-f6cc6254e803Post:8db96ad4-8bba-4313-9767-e54ff7c5c5bf">Re: Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was reading the JOP/PPD post on etiquette and I really hate how people assume that having a VR means you are gift grabby. I specifically asked people NOT to bring gifts. I have a feeling the etiquette board would flame me just for having a VR prior to my 10 year anniversary so I have resolved to continue lurking. Maybe I'm reading in to it.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]

Yeh, i think how the op phrased made people say it. She said she is being "punished" for having a JOP. That I take issues with. Yours was done perfect and beautiful. There is a difference.
  • Options
    Oh and there are regs on the e board that had a vow renewal. Mkrupar I believe did, (could be wrong though) but someone did!
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pet-peeves-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:fae07f23-5b2e-40c0-88a5-f6cc6254e803Post:dbdc3025-de7b-487d-a3da-1ebc0b6ee59a">Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm in a ticked off mood today, probably because I have to go back to work and I don't want to!!!  Only 19 more weeks until we can move... if only that would go just a little bit faster. On my month board and my local board, they'll often ask about honeymoon destinations.  The two things that have really ruffled my feathers recently is people who a) immediately assume everything in the Caribbean is impossible to go to in August/September because of hurricane season, and b) refuse to go to Mexico because of the violence. It's just an example of people parroting what they hear without actually knowing anything about it.  I live in Miami.  365 days a year.  I have been here 3 years.  We have NOT had a hurricane, we might have had 2, possibly 3, tropical storms.  A grand total of maybe 5 days of stormy weather that would cause flight disruptions.  Sure, there's a chance that there will be rain during their vacation, but that's true ANYWHERE.  People should just buy trip insurance for the 1-in-1000 chance their vacation gets stormed out and then get over it if that's where they want to go. And Mexico - the violence is in the northern border towns, not in Cancun.  I feel terrible for the Mexican economy by how the media has twisted this around - they've seen a significant decline in tourism over the last few years.  It's ridiculous.  The violence is Mexican-on-Mexican and related to drugs and VERY far away from Quintana Roo (where Cancun/Cozumel are located).  It's like saying don't go to Pennsylvania because there's crime in Arizona.  Makes no sense, but Americans can't seem to differentiate regions within other countries.  Sure, there's some tourist crime, but mostly muggings and that's no different (in fact, far better) than it's been for several decades even when tourism is at its peak.  Okay, that's my vent.  Anyone else?
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

Cal- lower economy everywhere means people aren't traveling anywhere as much. Not just Mexcio so those numbers are interrelated - IMO. But what you fail to realize about Mexico is how corrupt the government is there. It's not just violence that people are or should be upset about. They should be concerned about how the drug cartels have infiltrated every aspects of Mexican Gov't and Law Enforcement.
  • Options
    ggirl- please don't let them murder me on the Etiquette board! lol. Really though, I don't see an issue with the way that almost all of the questions are answered over there- with that being said it's a pet peeve of mine when people think "omg I'm marrying someone in the military which makes my life so hard and my situation so unique and special that there's no way that anyone has ever asked this question before!!" GAHHH

wedding1 Anniversary
  • Options
    Sammy: Your VR was beautiful. 

I don't care if it's hurricane season either, I would love to go to the Caribbean any time of year. As far as Mexico, H really don't want to go there for now with all the violence, drugs and the corrupt government. He doesn't even want me to travel to the Phillipines alone, especially after getting the swine flu last time I went. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pet-peeves-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:fae07f23-5b2e-40c0-88a5-f6cc6254e803Post:1342b8d0-ae01-4cc2-912e-710f1e1098be">Re: Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Pet Peeves : Cal- lower economy everywhere means people aren't traveling anywhere as much. Not just Mexcio so those numbers are interrelated - IMO. But what you fail to realize about Mexico is how corrupt the government is there. It's not just violence that people are or should be upset about. They should be concerned about how the drug cartels have infiltrated every aspects of Mexican Gov't and Law Enforcement.
    Posted by shan87[/QUOTE]

The government is a lot less corrupt than it used to be.  I actually know personally several senior level officials in the Mexican government, specifically Alejandro Diaz de Leon, their Director of Public Credit.  He explained it to me like a cancer - there has ALWAYS been drug cartels, and they were overwhelming local governments, but it was hidden for years.  During that time, tourism was at an all-time high - flights were cheap, people were willing to leave the country, MTV glorified "Spring Break - Cancun".  Meanwhile, as you said, the drug cartels were in control of most of northern Mexico, and had contacts in the national government.

When Calderon made the effort to "kill the cancer", it was like starting to treat it.  All of a sudden, the symptoms came to light - it doesn't mean the country is more or less sick, but it means it's trying to fight the disease.  This analogy is Mr. Diaz de Leon's, not my own, but I find it interesting.  Chemo can make people feel sicker before they feel better, and that's what Mexico likes to think they're doing with the drug cartels - burning them out, even if it makes things temporarily worse.  The cartels obviously don't like being displaced, which is why they kill good cops, kidnap government officials, and murder rivals.  I'm not downplaying the danger by any means, but it doesn't affect most of Mexico's tourist areas. 

And there's been tourism studies - yes, obviously tourism is down world-wide, by approximately 20-40% depending on the area.  The Caribbean, interestingly, has only declined less than 15%, but they say it's likely that people who would have otherwise vacationed in Europe are more likely to stay closer to  home as it's less expensive.  Mexico has experienced over 50% decline, and a lot of that is related to the reputation it has in American media.  Interestingly,  it's only declined 20% for European tourists.  I'll see if I can hunt up the article where I found that information - those number are all approximations as I don't have it handy, but really even in the article the numbers are approximations, right?

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pet-peeves-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:fae07f23-5b2e-40c0-88a5-f6cc6254e803Post:8db96ad4-8bba-4313-9767-e54ff7c5c5bf">Re: Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]I was reading the JOP/PPD post on etiquette and I really hate how people assume that having a VR means you are gift grabby. I specifically asked people NOT to bring gifts. I have a feeling the etiquette board would flame me just for having a VR prior to my 10 year anniversary so I have resolved to continue lurking. Maybe I'm reading in to it.
    Posted by Sammy0709[/QUOTE]

I also don't really like how sometimes the boards respond to these things.  I know it's popular to say, "We're not being mean, we're being honest."  But I do think sometimes people are mean.  I know a lot of it is meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but how is someone new supposed to know that?

I think there's a way to say, "I don't think that's a good idea, and here's why, and here's what I suggest instead."  And I do think there's plenty of girls who do respond that way on the boards, but there's a lot of mean ones, too.

Anniversary

• Options
    My pet peeve is my cell phone plan. Normally 500 minutes/unlimited text is JUST enough for me with the free nights and weekends. But, I am just 2 weeks into my month and I already am just about out of my whenever minutes, blame it on talking to FI on his 20 hour drive back to FL. I have resorted to asking my mom to make the BM appointments for me, or pay 50 cents a minute... I feel like I am 10 years old and my mom has to make my phone calls for me. BLAH!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Ooooh, I've got another one.  I follow the Urgent Dogs page for the local animal shelter on Facebook, and people just trash the shelter and call them murderers.  I know they had to put down a lot of dogs recently, but I really feel like these people are kindhearted volunteers who are there to help animals.  Nobody goes to work for the Animal Shelter going, "Bwahaha, now I get to kill animals!"  The local shelter takes in over 150 animals per day on average - the fact that they have around a 50% kill rate sounds very high, except when you think about the sheer magnitude of work in caring for all those animals and finding homes for nearly half of them.  Putting down animals is a horrible tragedy, but the real murderers are the ones who abandoned these dogs to starve on the street or get run over by cars.  Getting put to sleep is far more humane than letting animals suffer.

Anniversary

• Options
    amanda- who is your phone through? I know with sprint, if I call them before I go over, they have let me add minutes- 100 minute blocks for 5 dollars each, just for the month. 

might be worth calling to ask? 
    wedding1 Anniversary
  • Options
    My pet peeve today: being expected to know how an entire specialty clinic works without being told anything about it ahead of time. You do not get to blame me for your poor/lack of planning, and just because I'm a lowly little third year student DOES NOT MEAN THAT I'M STUPID!!!
  • Options
    Cal, I agree completely with the animal shelters. It isn’t their fault that they have to put down those animals. Except, I like to take it a step further and blame the people that bred those animals (or even accidentally bred those animals, ex- not fixing your cat). I am very passionate about not breeding dogs unless you have found good homes for the puppies. So many people breed their bitch with any intact dog they can find to get PUPPIES for fun or to teach their kids about “life”. Not realizing big dogs like labs can have 8 or 9 puppies in a litter… They are stuck with 8 puppies that are growing and are expensive. They sell their puppies to the first people that are interested, not even checking to see if it is going to be a good home. The new owners are overwhelmed with their new family member, and when they simply can’t care for it anymore they take it to the shelter.Moral of the Story, don’t bred dogs for fun/money . -steps off soapbox-

Fire- I have a really old T-mobile plan, I need to update my account, but I am off my contract and don’t want to sign another one until FI is off his. I think it is more like 15 cents a minute, but I don’t like seeing those extra charges.

Mel- show them this:
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Amanda, that's true enough, but with the culture that is so prevalent here in Miami, people would buy dogs from breeders and then when it becomes a hassle, deposit them on the highway hoping they'll get run over or eaten by alligators.  It happens all the time!  And yes, like you said, sometimes people's dogs get pregnant (here, it's because people don't want to "cut off his manhood" - stupid machismo at work) and they can't even give away the puppies so they throw them on the streets to fend for themselves.  It's awful.

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pet-peeves-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:fae07f23-5b2e-40c0-88a5-f6cc6254e803Post:96cf3afa-fc16-4c3e-9749-de1b69aad61b">Re: Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cal, I agree completely with the animal shelters. It isn’t their fault that they have to put down those animals. Except, I like to take it a step further and blame the people that bred those animals (or even accidentally bred those animals, ex- not fixing your cat). I am very passionate about not breeding dogs unless you have found good homes for the puppies. So many people breed their bitch with any intact dog they can find to get PUPPIES for fun or to teach their kids about “life”. Not realizing big dogs like labs can have 8 or 9 puppies in a litter… They are stuck with 8 puppies that are growing and are expensive. They sell their puppies to the first people that are interested, not even checking to see if it is going to be a good home. The new owners are overwhelmed with their new family member, and when they simply can’t care for it anymore they take it to the shelter. Moral of the Story, don’t bred dogs for fun/money . -steps off soapbox- Fire- I have a really old T-mobile plan, I need to update my account, but I am off my contract and don’t want to sign another one until FI is off his. I think it is more like 15 cents a minute, but I don’t like seeing those extra charges. Mel- show them this:
    Posted by AmandaSC1988[/QUOTE]

Oh my gosh...my sister is driving me craaazy w/ her selfishness and ignorance. She posted this fb status asking if anyone knows of a female boxer they want to breed w/ her male boxer. I immediately commented, saying to the effect of "why are you trying to breed more dogs? There are already SO many dogs waiting for good homes in shelters." She was trying to blame the local humane societies for being "a$$ holes" for not letting her get one from there. Um yah, duh, you already have four dogs and the city ordinance clearly states you can only have two dogs within city limits. Of course they aren't going to let you take another. They'd get in trouble. And the reason why she wants to breed her boxer? He is getting older and she's going to miss him, so she wants one of his pups. Yes, please do breed more dogs when there are already dogs being put down because there are too many. Please do breed more dogs even though you are already breaking the city ordinance. And please do take on another dog when you are already cheating the welfare system, pawning your daughter off to our parents all the time, go out drinking every weekend, making your mom pay for your bridesmaids dress for my wedding, and complain you never have money.
  • Options
    Wow, you ladies are passionate today.
     I don't have anything so far, but  it really bugs me when people throw thier animals off the highway. That's how my parents got our cat, she turned up with a plastic bag around her neck. They live by a small river, so they think someone wanted to drown her.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Binx - Can I slap her? Goodness, I hateeee people like that!!  Boxers have a lot of puppies, what does she plan on doing with the other puppies that she doesn't keep?  What value are her dogs going to bring to the breed of Boxers? Does she have the money to run all the tests to make sure her stud dog is free of any genetic health problems? I could go on and on....

Ignorance!! Those people give dog breeding a bad name. When I would breed a litter I made sure I had goods owners for all the puppies before I even bred the dogs, not to mention a contract stating that if they were unable to care for the dogs I wanted them back. I did not want them going to the shelter, being sold to someone else, or left on the highway. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Oh, TK ate my post. I complained about  how people treated animals.
  • Options
    Okay, now TK isn't even posting for me. :(
  • Options
    Hey! I have a question for Amanda/FTL/anyone else who's been involved in breeding...

H's BFF and his wife just got a puppy who's like 4weeks old.  It was free and it's a chocolate lab/German short haired pointer mix.  They said that the reason the pups were free was because the mom died during the delivery.. I've never had a dog before, but Idk.. the whole thing is kind of raising red flags in my mind. Can you really not sell puppies if the mom dies? Should we be concerned about the health of the puppies? 

My pet peeve is with our Apartment complex.  If they didn't already have $300 of my money, I would back out of all this.. First the apartment they had found for us was an apartment with disability access.  Which is not a huge deal, but I asked and they said that if someone who was actually disabled came and needed an apartment we would be asked to move to another apartment and that they couldn't guarantee us the same rent.  SERIOUSLY?! that doesn't even make sense.. at least not to me.. I even told them that it doesn't seem fair or honest even.  I'm ready to walk away, but H is going to try again with them tomorrow.  I just don't think it's really worth all the drama and extra expenses.. plus H will be driving an hour to work everyday... So I'm not thinking that the cost of gas + the rent is really worth living near his friend.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Sami, 4 weeks is way too young to be away from the mother. And they probably have a hard time finding homes because they are mixed breeds and probably will grow to be quite large. As with any dog, it is important to get a vet to check the animal for major health issues, but otherwise, I don't know that there is any reason to turn down a free dog that needs a home if you understand the breed(s) and what you are getting yourself into. It is no different than a shelter dog, just that you have to pay for the vet visit and initial shots and spaying/neutering rather than having the shelter take care of that. It might end up being cheaper to adopt from a shelter - ours was $75, included all shots and spaying. if we had to pay for all that, it would have been around $50 for the vet visit, about $150 in shots, and anywhere from $50-700 in spaying surgery. Overall, it was a steal.

Anniversary

• Options
    I have a big pet peeve when people say "I think Susie would have wanted us to do this." and Susie is deceased.  Unless Susie TOLD us that is what she wanted us to do, I don't think we should be saying she wanted us to do that.  You might know someone really well, but sometimes I think people have no idea what they are talking about.  It just annoys me.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Sami:That apartment seems a bit shady to me. I would back out too and you should be able to lock your rate for at least a year. That should on your lease. Have you looked it over?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_pet-peeves-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:fae07f23-5b2e-40c0-88a5-f6cc6254e803Post:78ac6430-09b7-4273-aa0d-bd3c657e57ad">Re: Pet Peeves</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sami, 4 weeks is way too young to be away from the mother. And they probably have a hard time finding homes because they are mixed breeds and probably will grow to be quite large. As with any dog, it is important to get a vet to check the animal for major health issues, but otherwise, I don't know that there is any reason to turn down a free dog that needs a home if you understand the breed(s) and what you are getting yourself into. It is no different than a shelter dog, just that you have to pay for the vet visit and initial shots and spaying/neutering rather than having the shelter take care of that. It might end up being cheaper to adopt from a shelter - ours was $75, included all shots and spaying. if we had to pay for all that, it would have been around $50 for the vet visit, about $150 in shots, and anywhere from $50-700 in spaying surgery. Overall, it was a steal.
    Posted by calindi[/QUOTE]

See! I don't know anything about dogs (I'm just not really a doggy person..) and I knew that was too young!   And even just getting a dog, sight unseen, makes me nervous.  I have known chocolate labs (that's what we had agreed on) and I adore GSHP.. from afar anyway.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    Sami, I can only speak for myself, but meeting the dog in person was key to knowing if it was a good fit.  Each dog has its own personality, so just the breed isn't usually enough to know if you bond with them.  Sasha was licking our fingers through the bars of her cage at the shelter - other dogs were cowering in fear in the back corner, or barking madly.  She was quiet and sweet, and when we took her out to a pen to interact with her, she played with us rather than ran from us, and desperately wanted to play with other dogs and children that walked by.  To us, that was a VERY good sign! You can teach a dog manners to children and other dogs, but you can't really teach them to instinctively like them. 

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards