Military Brides

Since everyone else is introducing themselves...

...I figured I might as well introduce myself too, instead of just lurking about and commenting on random threads!

I've been a military brat for most of my life - I was born while my father was in flight school and some of my first memories are of running around various bases, getting into hangars and climbing into helicopters and pushing all the buttons (which I'm sure I really wasn't supposed to do) and even just watching my dad shine his boots. He retired from the Marines when I was 14 and I was sad to see that part of my life begin to vanish. We still went on base to go shopping or to the beach, and I still carried my military I.D. with me, so I didn't feel like too much had changed.

Then in August 2010 I went to get my I.D. renewed, they told me that when I turned 21 I would lose my dependent status and my I.D. card with it. It was a small thing, but as we drove around base (I'm talking about Camp Pendleton, if anyone is wondering) afterwards and I looked at everything that had been so familiar to me all my life and felt a bit of panic. I went home and called my fiance and told him about the feeling, and joked that he was just going to have to join the Marines so that it could continue to be a part of my life.

So five months later when he came to me and said he was joining the Marines, he didn't even have to ask whether or not I was ok with it! (Although he's not joining just because I told him he should!)

It's been a long process since then, as I've mentioned on a couple of threads. He first talked to a recruiter in January and is only now closing in on finalizing everything. He's hoping to get into the Marine musicians program and has one more audition before he finds out whether or not that's happening. As of right now, it looks like his chances are very good! I know this is the beginning of quite a journey, and I can't wait to see how it goes :)

Anyway, that's my story! Since everything is so up in the air with where he'll be stationed, and since I'm just about to graduate college and go to grad school, we're probably not getting married until 2014. But there's no harm in lurking about here until then, right? ;)
Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone

Re: Since everyone else is introducing themselves...

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_everyone-else-introducing-themselves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:13Discussion:fce4d734-ee5a-40bc-a71b-d374caadbd7dPost:b17b882f-0349-48c2-8aa6-2b16b74c2e3b">Since everyone else is introducing themselves...</a>:
    [QUOTE]...I figured I might as well introduce myself too, instead of just lurking about and commenting on random threads! I've been a military brat for most of my life - I was born while my father was in flight school and some of my first memories are of running around various bases, getting into hangars and climbing into helicopters and pushing all the buttons (which I'm sure I really wasn't supposed to do) and even just watching my dad shine his boots. He retired from the Marines when I was 14 and I was sad to see that part of my life begin to vanish. We still went on base to go shopping or to the beach, and I still carried my military I.D. with me, so I didn't feel like too much had changed. Then in August 2010 I went to get my I.D. renewed, they told me that when I turned 21 I would lose my dependent status and my I.D. card with it. It was a small thing, but as we drove around base (I'm talking about Camp Pendleton, if anyone is wondering) afterwards and I looked at everything that had been so familiar to me all my life and felt a bit of panic. I went home and called my fiance and told him about the feeling, and joked that he was just going to have to join the Marines so that it could continue to be a part of my life. So five months later when he came to me and said he was joining the Marines, he didn't even have to ask whether or not I was ok with it! (Although he's not joining just because I told him he should!) It's been a long process since then, as I've mentioned on a couple of threads. He first talked to a recruiter in January and is only now closing in on finalizing everything. He's hoping to get into the Marine musicians program and has one more audition before he finds out whether or not that's happening. As of right now, it looks like his chances are very good! I know this is the beginning of quite a journey, and I can't wait to see how it goes :) <strong>Anyway, that's my story! Since everything is so up in the air with where he'll be stationed, and since I'm just about to graduate college and go to grad school, we're probably not getting married until 2014. But there's no harm in lurking about here until then, right? ;)
    </strong>Posted by birdie1020[/QUOTE]

Not at all.

Welcome! :) Back in High School my FI asked me to be his Girfriend, then added... I'm going to be a Pilot in the Air Force I hope your okay with that. LoL It wasn't until he went to Basic 1.5 years later that I started to realize what I was in for :) and now I can't wait!
  • edited December 2011
    What a sweet story!!
    Welcome to the board!!
    Photobucket
  • kyrgyzstankyrgyzstan member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I think parts of Camp Pendleton are amazingly gorgeous, and everyone always thinks I'm nuts! 

Welcome!
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • ESquared423ESquared423 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What a great story! Best of luck to you and your fiance.
    PersonalMilestone Anniversary
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_everyone-else-introducing-themselves?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:fce4d734-ee5a-40bc-a71b-d374caadbd7dPost:ea7e0452-c407-4c57-b3bc-493efc3a487d">Re: Since everyone else is introducing themselves...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think parts of Camp Pendleton are amazingly gorgeous, and everyone always thinks I'm nuts!  Welcome!
    Posted by WishIcouldbeinthe'stan[/QUOTE]

<div>I just adore Pendleton! San Onofre is such a great beach. And we always go driving around the artillery range after we go swimming, then get ice cream at the commissary. It's a very good system :)</div><div>
    </div><div>And thank you everyone!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker PersonalMilestone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards