Military Brides

Financial Question.

So, I've been thinking about this for a while...

Which is better overall, a regular bank account or banking with a credit union?

I've gotten some information on the pros and cons and even what options are available since FI is in the military but I'd like to here some other opinions.

Re: Financial Question.

• I'm no financial guru, but I've always like credit unions over reg. banks. Only reason I have a regular bank acct is because of H wanting to stick with his acct.
  • look into usaa for military.   You can deposit online etc.  
  • I have been in the army for 6 years now, everyone I know has usaa and I have never once heard a complaint.
  • Credit unions.  I actually work at a credit union and I'm not just picking it b/c I'm biased.  Usually credit unions tend to have a lot lower fees than banks,  Banks are in it for profit, credit unions typically are not. What kind of info are you wanting/needing?
  • Well, I've been with the same bank for 4 years now...and honestly I feel like my money is getting nowhere fast. There's absolutely no incentive for me keeping my account there anymore. I just want to bank somewhere that I can be sure I'm actually SAVE. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_military-brides_financial-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:13Discussion:fe549721-107f-49a5-b689-9d223477c27cPost:0d077bd6-dd20-4fe6-b5a5-d6036f4e9bd1">Re: Financial Question.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Credit unions.  I actually work at a credit union and I'm not just picking it b/c I'm biased.  Usually credit unions tend to have a lot lower fees than banks,  Banks are in it for profit, credit unions typically are not. What kind of info are you wanting/needing?
    Posted by kelty24[/QUOTE]
    I'll PM you details in the morning, TK mobile's being an ass :/
  • We have Navy Federal and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Seriously, I never have issues and when I have to call they take care of things or answer my questions right away. When the government was about to not pass a budget and military members were in a position that they might not get pay checks, Navy Federal was going to up front the money for everyone and pay people even if they pay checks didn't go through. 
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • See, I've heard nothing but good things from military affiliated credit unions and honestly I've just about had it with the bank I have now. I know some of the people that I ask questions to are trying to be helpful, but Jesus, their fees are starting to get ridiculous. Like I said, just no incentive to stay there anymore. I know that Credit Union branches may sometimes just be local to an area, but there's almost always a way to access online and manage your account. I think I may just check out military affiliated places first, then in the unlikely event that those don't suit my needs, then I'll start checking out local ones.

Thank you guys for the information! :) It's been very helpful!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards