New Mexico

B&Bs / Vacation Rentals for receptions

My wedding date is set for May 7, 2011.  I am expecting about 80 - 100 guests and the majority of them traveling from out of state.  Wedding party alone is representing 7 states!  Ideally I would like to host a few events rather than just a wedding and reception.  We don't get to see our guest all the time and I would hate to only be able to visit for a short time at the reception.  Therefore, I thought if we rented an estate or took over a B&B it would be easy to host a few things and have a "home base."  A welcome reception, a cook-out lunch, a brunch, the reception etc.  Would love if immediate family and wedding party could all stay at the same location.  So, around 12 guestrooms would be great.  With all that said, I am flying to ABQ and Santa Fe tomorrow to tour venues and to make a decision by Monday.  So far the only venues I have appointments at, similar to what I describe above, are: 
In ABQ
Hacienda Antigua
Casas de Suenos
In Santa Fe
El Cielo

Any other suggestions or comments/thoughts/experience with those above?

Re: B&Bs / Vacation Rentals for receptions

• edited December 2011
    I am planning a similar type of weeding, only with fewer guests.  You might also take a look at Casa De Cielo.  It's managed by Casas de Santa Fe.  They do vacation rentals all over Santa Fe and their properties are gorgeous. It's a very nice estate with 9 guest rooms total, but the grounds are extensive and perfect for what you're planning.  Hacienda Dona Andrea is a B&B in Cerrilos with wonderful views.  It has 9 rooms also.  A couple that I have not seen, but you might look into are Don Gaspar B&B and Casa De Estrellas.
    I am going to look at El Cielo next weekend with Hillary.  I'd love to know what you think of it.
    Best of luck!
    Andrea
  • scullisculli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you could look at Hacienda Dona Andrea as PP suggested, it is gorgeous.  FI and I would love to have gotten married there but it was a little out of our price point.  The views are amazing, the staff is super nice and the rooms are nice and spacious.  They offer packages that allow you to rent out the entire space as you said you are looking for.  Good luck!!!
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married at the Inn at Paradise, and they have a lovely garden area for the reception, 15 rooms, and are located right on the Desert Green Golf Course in Albuquerque. You can bring in your own food and alcohol, which really keeps the price down!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ximena MXimena M member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I hope I'm not to late.  Sunrise Springs and Buffalo Thunder may work.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • kbramlittkbramlitt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

OK, so done with our tour of possible venues and still no decision has been made.  Here is my opinion on what we saw.   
    Sunrise Springs- Total disappointment with our experience.  Despite having an appointment the person working had no idea we were coming.  He also was unable to answer most of our questions since he has only worked there since November.  I cut him some slack but the events manager at the very least could have left a brochure or something with him to pass along.  If they are that unorganized I certainly would not trust them to an event such as a wedding.  As far as the property goes we really had to use our imagination with the dead of winter tour.  I am sure it is beautiful in the spring and summer.  The event spaces we toured....dated, smelly and small.  There was one area that could be decent (art gallery, cafe area, and a nice patio) but it was not available for our wedding date.  The pricing of the guestrooms was very reasonable but I would encourage anyone to go for the highest end Casitas as they only cost $129 a night.  The other rooms were priced between $60 and $99 a night.  Those casitas were updated but the room we toured had two double beds.  Queen beds at the minimum should be standard in anything referred to as a top tier room. 
    El Cielo - Another place you have to use your imagination if touring in winter. I am sure the landscape is 100% better in full bloom spring.  House (decorated in antique-looking furnishings) has 4 guest rooms.  If I were renting this property for an event I would not count on using the guestrooms.  Two bedrooms upstairs with a jack and jill bathroom, two bedrooms downstairs also with a jack and jill bathroom....no shower, a soaking tub only.  If there was a shower I missed it.  Also, one of the beds has no mattress but 4 or 5 layers of egg foam, down padding, and who knows what else.  I had to take a picture of it and all those layers....very comical.  I was quoted at $1000 a day and at that price - which I think you should negotiate down - you can put money towards appropriate lodging elsewhere with showers and proper beds.  Oh, yeah, I almost forgot that my fiance busted out laughing when we went into one of the rooms as he swears it was the same comforter he had when he was in elementary school....we are taking 80s here....20 years ago.  If the owner could put money towards new bedding it would be a good thing.   Thumbs down to the sleeping but thumbs up to the bathrooms.  They seemed updated and if your guests were only going inside to use the restrooms and not to sleep all is good.  The yard has some kids jungle gym thing which I thought was an eyesore for a wedding venue.  However, if you are having kids it might be a entertainment bonus for them.   Property itself has a collection of exotic birds including a peacock, some white bird, some chickens that have hairy feet, what else, something colorful.  They were all in a fenced in coop area...not sure if they roam during good weather.  Hope so, those peacocks need room to stretch!  There is a dirt path that leads you to a chicken coop and some miniature pony house with four occupants.  Yes miniature horses.  Cute but I did see their crap piles around the property.  That back property area is also apparently the home of an automobile graveyard.  I counted at least 6 vehicles that were parked within the trees and shrubs.  With all that said I really don't think there is reason for your wedding guest to venture that way unless they need some eggs from that chicken coop. 
    Casa de Suenos - I liked this place and it is on our narrowed down list.  Pricing though seems oddly high compared to the other venues we have it narrowed down to.  Their price includes 6 guestrooms and their honeymoon suite.  If we subtract out the cost of guestrooms their facility fee (comes with chairs, tables, linens, set up fee) is the same price as Los Poblanos.  
    Los Poblanos - Was my number one pick but when you add the food and drink costs it is out of my budget.  It seems wrong to me to go to a place that double charges.  This was the only place that was going to charge me both a facility fee ($4500) and then require you to use their food and beverage.  I understand they have costs to cover but every other place waived any charge if you meet their food minimum.  We plan to cover the cost of our wedding party for the night of the wedding and with the room charges here it really put us over budget. 
    Hacienda Antigua - I liked this place and it would meet my needs it just felt removed from any action.  North Albuquerque area.  Didn't seem like there were many hotel options near for overflow guests.   Which there would be since they only have about 7 guestrooms.  I am sure there are hotels nearby I just didn't take any time to look.  There were no public restrooms so your guest would have to go into someone's guestroom to use the facility.  That might not be a big deal.  House was in a residential neighborhood.  It was quaint and had a good feel.  Nice pool and lawn area.  Was quoted $5000 for 2 days use of facility. 

• edited December 2011
    I read your post to my fiancee on our way home from a weekend in Santa Fe.  He laughed out loud.  We also looked at El Cielo and thought exactly the same thing!  Funny thing, Trish quoted me $2000 a day with a 3 day minimum.  I couldn't imagine asking any of my family to stay at that place!  We're looking at another home in the area.  My planner is trying to get the price down for us.  Fingers crossed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards