Not Engaged Yet

Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off

2»

Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off

• calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Beth, for what it's worth, I wasn't saying you were judging people with higher budgets or that you are envious.  If you read through this thread (not your original comment, but the responses) it focuses more on the fact that the girl is spending a lot on her wedding rather than how poorly she treated you.  There is a lot of glorifying small budget weddings on this board and criticizing anyone for having a higher budget or accepting money from their parents.  Again, that wasn't your post, but it's where this thread headed and where previous conversations have gone. I was just pointing out that it alienates those posters who aren't having budget weddings - ever read TKPS? There's a bunch of posts about that exact topic (fyi, none of which are mine - I've never contributed to that site).

Also, it isn't her budget that should annoy you - your title should be "Spoiled bratty ENTITLED kids piss me off".  Even if someone has no money, they can still have that same ridiculous attitude of entitlement and superiority, and ultimately that's what annoyed you.

And in regards to my view on bridesmaids, I would never treat my friends like that, and I'm sure most girls on this board will be or have been perfectly wonderful to their bridesmaids.  I'd gladly be a bridesmaid for a friend if they wanted me to be.  It has nothing to do with that - it's just a load of stress I don't want to deal with (the politics of who to pick, organizing schedules, different personalities, etc.), and even still people end up feeling pressured (though they're not obligated) to contribute to & attend bridal showers, bachelorette parties, buying a dress they may never wear again, getting their hair done, etc.  Even with the most easy going and understanding bride, being a bridesmaid ends up being expensive, especially when your friends are scattered around the world as mine are. Add to that the fact that I think the role of bridesmaid is pointless - it was created because someone couldn't pick "just one" person to stand up as their witness.  If their only "job" is to stand up next to the bride, I'd rather just have my friends comfortably seated in outfits that they picked out themselves without having to coordinate with anyone.

I've never once told someone that they shouldn't have bridesmaids, and nor will I ever - all I've ever said is that I don't want bridesmaids.  You don't have to understand it, just as I don't have to understand the point of bridesmaids.  I see all these stories on here of stress or drama with bridesmaids, often not the bride's fault, and it's just not something I want to deal with myself.

Anniversary

• edited December 2011
    The average wedding in our area costs around $36K. We're doing ours for under half of that (thank god for DIY), and with our parents help (about 60%). This is on top of stashing money away for a house and a honeymoon.

I don't judge people that have $75K weddings. If you have that kind of money to spend (outside of your financial obligations of home, bills, etc.) and that's what you want to spend it on, so be it. I could never stomach it, but that's just me.

I also don't judge people that have weddings that their parents paid for. We had originally intended on paying for our entire wedding ourselves, but my father came to us and asked that he and my mother be able to give us this gift. It makes my parents happy that they can do this for us, and that in turn makes us happy. I'm not one to judge on that aspect.

I judge people that think their wedding is better than other people's, simply based on the price tag and/or the brand names attached. I judge people that honestly believe they are somehow entitled to that kind of money. I judge people that demand that their parents pay for their weddings.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_spoiled-bratty-rich-kids-piss-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:136Discussion:05039791-9ad9-4499-8603-6314e85e1472Post:4adaac0e-100f-4728-9810-1c1662fc7af0">Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Spoiled bratty rich kids piss me off : <strong>Ugh...the only thing I hate more than people who expect for their parents to pay for everything and wipe their asses are the people who expect their FRIENDS to pay for everything and wipe their asses.</strong>  My FI is in a wedding in a few months and the groom is literally demanding this all-out ridiculous bachelor party that he's expecting all the groomsman to pay for. I think that if you agree to be in a wedding, you are doing the couple a favor.  All they should expect of you is for you to be their to witness their vows, not throw them expensive parties, wait on them hand and foot, etc.  Also, if they want some crazy-expensive dress that's way out of your budget, they should be covering the cost.  And this is true whether your wedding budget is $3K or $30K.  I just don't see the point in going broke for someone elses wedding.  Ever.
    Posted by jemmini6[/QUOTE]

Seconding this. I have friends that have literally shelled out $1K to cover the travel, clothing, parties, etc., just to be in a friend's wedding. It's insane.

I've tried to be really aware of the costs involved for my girls and try and cut those down wherever possible. I'm trying to work my girl's hairstyling into our budget. I told my girls to pick a dress and shoes that they like and will wear again. My MOH and her husband are crashing at our place to save money. I don't expect any sort of showers or parties, though when I told them that, I promptly got shushed (I'm a lucky girl, let's put it that way).

Our wedding party is there to stand up for our union and to celebrate with us, not wait on me hand and foot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"Oceana swings from logical to anus punching." - Buttons

Planning / Married / Blog

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards