Not Engaged Yet
Options

What would you do if...

you won the $500,000,000 jackpot this week?

I french with my man
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: What would you do if...

• Options
    I'd take BF and our families on an amazing once-in-a-lifetime trip. Then I'd buy us a house and put the rest away.
  • Options
    I'd use to pay for an awesome wedding/honeymoon/school for me and BF and then save the rest of it.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh boy. I would walk out tomorrow and buy a new car. Not something extravagant, but a new daily car for myself that I've been wanting, probably a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I would immediately accept my admissions decision for my first choice grad program, not having to worry about the money anymore. Then FI and I would probably buy a house. I don't think I'd make any big changes to the wedding plans, I'm pretty happy with what we're doing, even though it's not expensive. I might add in some details that we are skipping to save money (ie. Chair Covers).

I would also freak out. lol.

ETA: Oh yes, plan a kick ass honeymoon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ...and now i'm lauughing as I sing "If I had a million dollars" with a country twang in my head...
  • Options
    Pay off my student loans.
    Pay off my mom's loans.
    Buy a house.
    Buy my mom & stepdad a house.
    Have a kick ass wedding & invite all of NEY.
    Buy Eagles season tickets.  
    Go on an African Safari & play with lion cubs. 
    Spend a really, really long time traveling the world. 

• Options

Pay off debts first: cars, condo, school, parental loan, credit cards, pay off parents' house (the one I grew up in)
    Buy house: really a rowhouse by the metro with three bedrooms and three bathrooms, and a deck and an office, so I can get to work in DC and my SO can get to class in Baltimore
    Have SO quit job so he can go to school full time: get it done already!
    Buy a beach house
    Take a month of leave from work and travel, take friends and family on a great trip

Put what's left in the bank and go back to work. Or quit and do some pro bono stuff and live off interest.

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • Options
    I still have the stupid "put a ring on it" stuck in my head from ealier.

Pay of my student loans
    Pay off my moms
    Pay off our vehicels
    Pay off The house
    Buy a new house
    Invest

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Pay off my student loans plus all other debt. Give a good portion of it to our families. Buy a house. Go on an awesome vacation. Put the rest away and spend when needed/on trips.
    5/27/12
  • Options
    audrewuhaudrewuh member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    FI's parents already promised to spend a minimum of $100,000 on the wedding. 

I'd pay off my loans, his loans, go to grad school, maybe seminary, buy a house, and pay off my parent's medical debt. 

Then I'd put the rest into savings. 
    --------------------------------------------------------------

"You're our early 20's BSC scarecrow. They cower at your maturity." - lennonkdc Anniversary
  • Options
    deburnindeburnin member
    First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Quit my third job that I hate.
    Pay off my student loans.
    Pay off the house.
    Buy my mom and dad a new car (Their house is already paid off thanks to my mom's BFF leaving them money in her will).
    Pay off my siblings student loans/the remainder of their college.
    Buy into the Disney Vacation Club at Bay Lake Towers.
    All out family trip to Disney.
    Go back to Germany. Swing by Venice too.
    Travel some more.
    Pay for the wedding and maybe add somethings that we're cutting out right now.
    Invest/Save the rest.
    Stop stressing about money and stop living pay check to pay check.
    ~*~Sept 2013 Siggy Challange - Then (2005) & Now (2012)~*~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Somebody once said, it's the soul that matters. Baby who can really tell, when two hearts belong so well?
    Tale as Old as Time (Updated 11/26) Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I would eventually quit my job.  I'd buy a new house for the BF & I. Pay off my parent's mortgage and also his parent's.  defintely a big family vacation somewhere awesome would be planned.  I'd also do a lot of savings too. I'd use my work time to volunteer or try professional acting again.

Anniversary

• Options
    I'd put 60% away in an account for taxes and accoutant fees of the winnings. I'd pay off the house, all debt, and give $50,000 to both sets of parents and both our siblings. I'd put $200,000 in a checking account for travel for the next 20 years. We wouldn't quit our jobs, but ask for 1 year of unpaid leave with a guaranteed job after 1 year to work on the house and travel. Lastly, I'd invest the rest in a money market account. 
    www.nurseyk.weebly.com
  • Options
    PhotoDerbyPhotoDerby member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    Pass out. Wake up. Call my accountant. My mom is an accountant and burned this step into my brain every time we talked about "what if" situations where I got a large amount of money.

Ideally, I'd like to pay off student loans, pay my parents back the money I have bummed off of them from over the years (I'm a bad daughter), get new equipment so I can start my business, maybe get my parents/siblings/nephews one nice thing each and save the rest. Knowing SO and I we wouldn't leave our jobs, just use the remaining money as a cushion for hard times. We are both crazy workaholics who go nuts when we have free time, so I think if we gave up our 40 hour weeks we would be bound to go nuts and kill each other.

I would also love to say I'd pay of SO's debts, like student loans, but he is stubborn and even if I won 100 billion dollars he would be all "nooooo i need to pay them off myself" because he's a jerk like that.
    Photobucket
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Options
    Give a bunch to our parents and siblings.
    Create college funds for our nieces.
    Put a ton in savings/money market and set aside enough to pay taxes. 
    Travel the world for a couple of years.
    Buy a house in Chicago.
    Do nothing but volunteer work for the rest of my life.
  • Options
    I'd take the lump sum payment, which would probably only be about 40% of the jackpot, but still $200M is a LOT of money.  Obviously paying off debt would be the first thing, but that's such an insignificant amount compared to the jackpot, so it hardly even registers on the radar of what I'd do with the money.

I'd lawyer/account up to make a solid plan for the rest, but it would definitely include giving $1M to each of H and I's immediate family members, quitting our jobs, travelling the world for a while, moving to Hawaii, and doing some philanthropic work.  We'd likely put the bulk of the money in an investment or savings account and live off of the interest.  Under no circumstances though would I spoil my 'future' children and let them become rotten little assholes with no sense of value of money.  I hate rich kids that act like that.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    thejucheideathejucheidea member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2012
    Talk to the family lawyer, put it in trust.

I'd also like to pay off the mortgage, do all of our home renovations, buy Tyler a car, pay off my car and help my parents out some. I'd also want to take the opportunity to travel without quitting my job.

And I'd donate a lot of money to the American Cancer Society and the Hope Lodge in town so that they could open their doors to a lot more Nashville cancer patients.

• Options
    Pay off my student loans. (EFF Sallie Mae.)
    Buy my parents a new house.
    Buy my parents new cars (one for each of them).
    Buy myself a house in Maine. Maybe my heart-shaped island.

Donate a lot to the Maine Children's Cancer Center & the Maine Breast Cancer Coalition. I'd probably give some to some of the larger organizations too, like Make-A-WIsh and St. Jude's, but the two Maine organizations get a lot less than the national ones do. And they saved my sister & my mom.

Stillwell - I volunteer for the HopeClub here :-)

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    I would probably re-plan our whole wedding.

Then I would buy a house, new cars for FI and me, a big vacation home somewhere (and send a key to all of my family members).  I'd put at least 50 mil or so in savings and plan to live off of the interest, then I would buy clothes.  So many clothes.

And new boobs.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-would-you-do-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:08e4c4d8-10d4-40c3-b2d3-35ab08cd33aePost:30ecc627-cd66-4d5d-b283-f34f804f066c">Re: What would you do if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would probably re-plan our whole wedding. Then I would buy a house, new cars for FI and me, <strong>a big vacation home somewhere</strong> (and send a key to all of my family members).  I'd put at least 50 mil or so in savings and plan to live off of the interest, then I would buy clothes.  So many clothes. And new boobs.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

Oh I would do this too!

• Options
    Buy a million dollar house (which means a nice four bedroom two story house here).
    Conservatively invest a bit of it (like in CDs and such).
    Hire a once a week cleaning service.
    Buy H a new car.
    Quit our jobs and go on a nice long vacation.
    Fix up my parents' house.
  • Options

See that I won, pass out, wake up and do the following:

Pay off all my debt (school loans, credit cards, car loan)
    Pay off all of my bf's debt (car loan, credit cards, and whatever other debt he has)
    Put money away for my son so he's set for college.
    Buy a beautiful house (preferably 4 or 5 bedrooms, 4 bath, large back yard, full basement, garage, etc)
    Buy a new car for me (nothing extravigant but something that'll last a while)
    Do all the modifications to my bf's jeep that he wants.
    Buy my parents a nice house to retire in.
    Pay off my parents debts
    give my siblings some cash
    take a couple of vacations
    save the rest

I'd definitely continue towork and have the rest as a cushion for emergencies.

• Options
    ARM92ARM92 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    Have a fabulous wedding of my dreams, buy a house, buy my Fi teh truck he has always wanted, donate some of it towards the missiosn adn outreach department of my moms church, and savings
  • Options
    Yep for sure hire a super expensive and famous wedding planner to plan the whole wedding all over. And it would be super awesome.

I would also pay off all my loans as well as FIs. 

I would buy a house and a new car for me, FI, and both of our parents.

A huge shopping spree.

Then I would volunteer the rest of my life with nonprofits rather than being paid since I could live off of the money from the win. 
    Used to be bourgehm. +1,500 posts. Silly knot
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I would buy a house for FI and I... two nice family friendly cars that are awesome. I'd love a Lincoln MKX and FI wants the Audi somethin somethin. Then I'd buy a house for my parents and I'd buy a house down the shore for all of us. I would then donate a good chunk to St. Jude's.. Then I would be psyched that I wouldn't have to worry about having enough money for our wedding and not having to worry about our honeymoon. I'd also pay off all of our debt.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_what-would-you-do-if?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:08e4c4d8-10d4-40c3-b2d3-35ab08cd33aePost:fdb88e19-b73c-482d-abaf-0ecabf73bffe">Re: What would you do if...</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>FI's parents already promised to spend a minimum of $100,000 on the wedding.</strong>  I'd pay off my loans, his loans, go to grad school, maybe seminary, buy a house, and pay off my parent's medical debt.  Then I'd put the rest into savings. 
    Posted by audrewuh[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div> Daaaaaaaayum! Nice! Excuse me while I go pout in the corner LOL</div>
    "Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Options

*******************************************************************************************

• Options
    Freak out. 
    Immediately invest half of it and put a bunch into high-yield savings(after I hired a financial planner). 
    Pay of BOTH FI's house and my house. 
    Pay any remaining debt we have between the two of us (car, etc). 
    Continue to plan our wedding without a budget care in the world. 
    Hire a personal training to kick my *ss into wedding dress gear. 
    Book a fabulous honeymoon.

Donate the rest (or at least a bunch) to some worthwhile charites . . . probably my nephew's school and the Joubert Syndrome Foundation to start.
  • Options
    -Finish paying off student loans
    -Finish paying off FI's student loans
    -Pay off all family debt
    -Buy a house
    -Buy a few cars for FI and myself
    -Go a little wild at Sephora
    -Buy myself a new Louis bag or two.
    -Buy myself some Louboutins.
    -Pay for all of my guest's lodging for the wedding.
    -Include a steak option for wedding dinner.
    -Have a full bar at the wedding.
    -Pay off Jeremy's mom's mortgage.
    -Give 50k to each parent.
    -Donate $10 million to charity.
    -Start my own non-profit.
    -Save the rest.
  • Options
    Very first thing I'd do, well after triple checking my numbers and jumping for joy would be to quit my job. Then give some money to my family (mom, dad and sister) and to BF's family. I'd also arrange for me to go on a trip with everyone (whether it be separate trips with different people, like maybe Vegas with my sister and BF's brother, and an all inclusive with the parents). Then I'd buy my dream car, fix up my current car all nice the way I want it (because I can't drive my dream car in the winter, so my current car will be my winter beater), buy a house, take horseback riding lessons and complete my degree. After finishing my degree I'd look for a job working for a charity, but donate my salary back to them, and I'd just live off the interest from my winnings. Oh and I'd probably donate some money to various charities too.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Pay off student loans
    Pay off car
    Pay off house
    Take that mediterranean cruise or tour I've been drooling over
    Pay off BFs school loans
    Buy parents and siblings houses
    Buy a house in the area I really want to live in

Then I'd put the rest in the bank (more than likely).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards