Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Communion During the Ceremony

My fiance' is Catholic and I am Baptist. We are not having a traditional Catholic wedding, but one in my hometown Baptist church. He has just brought it to my attention that he would like to have communion served during our ceremony. I have never seen this done in a non-Catholic wedding. Is this appropriate? If so, does this usually run smoothly during a ceremony? Any and all suggestions and opinions are appriciated! Thanks!
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Communion During the Ceremony

• Options
    I find it interesting that your FI would want it...  I'm Catholic and was brought up to never take communion at another church, b/c our belief in the eucharist is different from other religions - so it's not really the eucharist to us in another church.  Maybe that's just my grandmother though....

As for the ceremony running smoothly - I've seen it done at many weddings, Catholic, Lutheran, etc and it always seems to go fine.. I'd talk to your church though and find out if they've done it before and their take on it...
  • Options
    It can work if you have the pastor show the ushers how to serve communion to a congregation so that it goes quickly.  I've never seen it at a non-Catholic wedding, but we have communion in our Baptist church a few times a year and it works just fine as long as the ushers know what to do.  I don't recommend having the guests stand up and walk to the front to take communion though -- that could be a very awkward moment for people who can't move fast, or people who don't take communion, or whatever... passing it down the pews seems to alleviate any sense of publicly announcing that someone isn't taking it, and it goes faster than the long line down the aisle.

We're not doing communion in our Baptist Christian wedding ceremony, but there are a few other brides on the boards who are doing it, so maybe they can offer some help?  We had a thread on this a few weeks ago on the Christian Weddings board (left under Cultural Wedding Boards).  Hope this helps!! :-) 
    July 16, Our Wedding Day, is also International Juggling Day!
  • Options
    Does your church allow non-members to take communion? Not all do, I don't know whether Baptists allow it, Methodists do.
  • Options
    blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2011
    I am Catholic so a lot of weddings I have gone to have communion during the ceremony.

As a PP said though if the Catholic mass isn't said the Eucharist wouldn't be the same as in a Catholic church. (It wouldn't mean the same thing)

As well, it isn't passed through the pews as a rule because there are words exchanged when it is given. It doens't take that long and there is usually music played during that time so it's not to bad. It has always run smoothly.
  • Options
    Baptist do allow anyone to take communion but they don't force anyone to take it.  I've seen communion done several different ways at weddings. 

Ushers passing it trays of prepared communion down the rows. 

Having prepared trays at the end of each row under a seat. Then just informing the guest at the end of each row to take one from under their seat and past it down. (small wedding that didnt have ushers)

Just having the bride and groom take communion as they begin their life in a new love for one another. (This is what my fiancé and I will be doing at our wedding) It can take place the same time you light the unity candle (or sand) and just have a small table with the communion prepared for the bride and groom- while a song plays as your guest watch.
  • Options
    Amazing that this is coming up for someone else! My FI was born and raised catholic.  I am Lutheran.  We both have been previously married (we are in our 40's) and we are considering perusing annulments in the catholic church however, we want to begin our lives together sooner. So we are getting married in a chapel in Sedona by a minister.   Just the two of us will be taking communion.  This is called an agape service and in NO WAY satisfies my FI's beliefs of communion.  The minister  explained to us it is a just a symbolic way for us to bring Christ to the center of our marriage. I was the one who wanted to do the "communion".  My FI is still going to do a confession with a priest just to feel more comfortable.  I have been to many Christian weddings and I have seen communion done a lot. Most of the time the church makes a statement prior of their belief and welcomes those who have had instruction to come forward.  I think it is up to you and your FI and the minister of the church as to what is acceptable.  Good Luck and let us know how it works out for you!

Trying to Conceive Ticker
    DH 45 ME 44

TTC #3 since 7/11 using OPK's and trying to figure out Fertility Friend! LOL
    DS #1 born on 7/20/87 DS#2 born on 1/19/96
    PAIF/SAIF welcome
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_communion-during-ceremony-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:10Discussion:bb12aef1-afbd-4e8b-afb4-368a115dcbc1Post:b6bf18c5-4102-4627-9694-ff473689f754">Re: Communion During the Ceremony</a>:
    [QUOTE]I find it interesting that your FI would want it...  I<strong>'m Catholic and was brought up to never take communion at another church, b/c our belief in the eucharist is different from other religions - so it's not really the eucharist to us in another church.  </strong>Maybe that's just my grandmother though.... As for the ceremony running smoothly - I've seen it done at many weddings, Catholic, Lutheran, etc and it always seems to go fine.. I'd talk to your church though and find out if they've done it before and their take on it...
    Posted by Kate61487[/QUOTE]

As a Catholic you can receive communion in any church where you are invited to do so. People of other religions cannot receive Catholic communion.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    meep2meep2 member
    First Comment
    OP- You didn't mention what type of ceremony you're having. What I mean is, you may be having your wedding in a Baptist church, but it is possible to have a ceremony with both your Baptist minister and a Catholic priest presiding. If that's the case, then the marriage will be valid in the Catholic church.

The reason why I bring this up--though it might seem off-topic--is that it makes a difference what your FI's views about religion are. He seems to want communion, but if you're not getting the marriage convalidated or getting a dispensation to be married in your church, then he will no longer be allowed to take communion in the Catholic Church after you're married. He may want to consider that. If you are going to have a valid Catholic marriage, then he should not take communion in a Protestant church, because it signals unity with the Baptist Church's beliefs on the Eucharist, which he does not have.  I know this isn't a direct answer, but it's sort of things to consider given what your post signals is important to you and your FI. I hope it helps!
  • Options
    Thanks for all the feed back! its been helpful. I guess I should mention that we don't, at this point in the planning, plan on having a priest present at the wedding.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Definitely check with your minister if you want to do this.  In my church communion can be offered in a wedding service, but it has to be served by ordained elders and has to be offered to the full congregation, not just the bride and groom. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Photobucket image Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards