Not Engaged Yet
Options

How would you handle this?

So, I quit my job as a waitress in Kenmore Square.  I gave them notice.  The money was too inconsistent and the management left a lot to be desired.  I found a new waitressing job at the Prudential Center and it looks promising.

Today, I was scheduled to work from 4:30 to 8pm.  My last table paid at 9:30pm and my manager would NOT let me leave until 11:30.  It's pretty clear to me that she held me there so long as retaliation for quitting, seeing as throughout the night, she called me a "rude biitch" and told me I was a "waste of training."

I only have a few days left of this job...but how do I handle this?  Do I tell the GM what transpired today?  Do I call the employee hotline?  Do I let it go because I only have a few days left?

I don't know what to do...because although I'll never have to deal with this woman again, no one who would behave that way to a subordinate deserves to manage ANYTHING.

Any thoughts here?

Re: How would you handle this?

• Options
    alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's ridiculous and unprofessional. Do whatever you can to get her punished in some way, but definitely don't let it go. I would go right up the chain of command to HR, unless you trust the GM and know they won't be on her side.

Stuff like that just bothers me so much. I've had to go through it, so I know what it's like.

Congratulations on getting a job at the Prudential Center though! I had my senior prom at the hub, it's such a nice place!
    White Knot
  • Options
    jorja86jorja86 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That pissed me off on your behalf just reading it. I would personally talk to the GM, as well as call the employee hotline. Even though you won't have to deal with her, maybe it will save other people from going through dealing with her shiitt. I would focus on the abusive language, because that is unacceptable no matter what.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-handle-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:188eb8d8-7d9c-452f-ac32-e7da6f683ed6Post:6ff24525-b29d-44d6-998f-165c7656839a">Re: How would you handle this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]That's ridiculous and unprofessional. <strong>Do whatever you can to get her punished in some way, but definitely don't let it go.</strong> I would go right up the chain of command to HR, unless you trust the GM and know they won't be on her side. Stuff like that just bothers me so much. I've had to go through it, so I know what it's like. Congratulations on getting a job at the Prudential Center though! I had my senior prom at the hub, it's such a nice place!
    Posted by alanna91[/QUOTE]

This. For her to call you a bitch is unprofessional to say the least. If she treats you this way I'm sure she's done it to other employees as well. I wouldn't let it slide.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Absolutely say something to higher management, that is beyond inappropriate.  Especially the rude language.  
    Congrats on getting a new job :)
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs.  I wouldn't go so far as to call the employee hotline unless the GM is completely unresponsive.  Take it one step at a time.

Congrats on the new job - from what you're saying about this girl, it sounds like you'll be in a much better place!
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely speak to HER boss about how you were treated. Then, on your last day, tell her to go f*ck herself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I personally would let it go, but I'm that type of person. 

If it's bothering you I think you should call the employee hotline, especially because she might act like this to the next person to get your job and perhaps she could use a little training herself! 
    Daisypath Vacation tickers 4 Leaf Clover
  • Options
    SopChickSopChick member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations on the new job! :)

The way your old manager acted is completely ridiculous, and she should not be allowed to get away with that. It's not even like you quit with no notice (though her behaviour would still be inappropriate). As PPs have said, I would speak to her direct superior, as well as calling the employee hotline, just in case she and her boss are buddy-buddy. Did you at least get any extra pay for staying later?

I'm so sorry you had to deal with that Shoes, that's really shitty. :(
    Canada Cat Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    DanieKADanieKA member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with PP in that you should talk to her direct supervisor and perhaps call the employee hotline if that doesn't work. And I'd stay and finish out my time, but jot down any and every snide/rude/inappropriate comment that she makes, if you can. 

After that, I'd let it go. You are moving on and you shouldn't waste any time thinking about that dumb biitch and trying to make sure she's punished after you leave. You can't control whether her boss does anything to her, and you can't control what the hotline people will do, or if she'll straight up lie and say she was as sweet as apple pie. Just alert the appropriate people, be the bigger person and finish out your time with professionalism*, and forget them all. On to better things! 

*I'm a big believer in finishing out notices unless something is completely unbearable. I think, especially now, it's just very unwise to skip out on any job, whether drive-thru worker at Wendy's or CEO. But you have to do what's right for you. And no one deserves to go through hell at work. Not for a week or even one day. 
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011

I'm surprised you gave notice in a serving position.  I've worked in many restaurants and every time someone quit, that was it. 

I would call the employee hotline/HR.  That's their job to deal with these types of issues. 

IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    maybe FI and I will see you at the Prudential when we're there during our HM!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-handle-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:188eb8d8-7d9c-452f-ac32-e7da6f683ed6Post:d9420a25-72d5-4c69-9007-d44aaed6b67e">Re: How would you handle this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]maybe FI and I will see you at the Prudential when we're there during our HM!
    Posted by CocoBellaF[/QUOTE]

<div>YAY!!!!  If you come by my restaurant when I'm working, I'll treat you to HM dinner.</div>
  • Options
    desertsundesertsun member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would probably call the employee hotline.  That's likely to go higher on the food chain so your GM will be forced to take action.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    ravenrayravenray member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I would contact both.  Retaliation should be something that you should not have to deal with.  And if management sucks like you said it might be a good idea to contact the employee hotline.
    Congrats on the new job!

"Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else. Definitely don't just let this go. Make sure someone knows about this because even when you're gone and have moved on she'll probably treat other people like this if she doesn't already.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_would-handle-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:188eb8d8-7d9c-452f-ac32-e7da6f683ed6Post:1dc15471-7289-45d5-9eee-dbb4b025fa5f">Re: How would you handle this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How would you handle this? : YAY!!!!  If you come by my restaurant when I'm working, I'll treat you to HM dinner.
    Posted by loves2shop4shoes[/QUOTE]

you'll have to PM me some info, and I'll let you know when we plan to be there!  it would be fun to meet a knottie!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards