Not Engaged Yet
Options

Colorado Shooting - Prayers Please

I'm in complete shock right now. Apparently last night there was a shooting here in Colorado. A man went into a local movie theater for the midnight showing of the new Batman film. I guess during one of the major loud explosion scenes he got up in front of the theater, threw gas grenades into the crowd and then began a shooting spree. 14 people were killed and another 50+ are currently in hospitals this morning with gunshot wounds and/or gas poisoning. a 3-month old baby and a 6-year old child are among the wounded.

Thank goodness they did apprehend the shooter...but now they're saying he has explosives in his apartment. Many neighborhoods are being evacuated this morning as police attempt to enter his apartment through a window. Police also believe someone else was working with him who they've not caught yet.

I was listening to the coverage on the way into work this morning. I've literally been crying. I know there is no way to understand why people do these sorts of things...but it still makes me ask "why?". Listening to teens and young adults being interviewed, I just cannot imagine what these people are going through. It makes my heart ache.

Just wanted to ask for prayers this morning. I know it's been a while...but I think this is really hitting people hard who lived here when the Columbine shooting happened. This will be a rough day for our community.

Re: Colorado Shooting - Prayers Please

• Options
    Thanks Liv, I really appreciate that. I am not one who normally gets very emotional about things. I was listening to a teenage guy being interviewed this morning and he was talking about a girl who was wounded who he noticed while they were being removed from the theater. He didn't even know her, but he kept talking about the look in her eyes and how he just wanted to know that she was ok. It really choked me up...how much concern he had over someone he'd never even met. It hurts to know that anyone had to experience such trauma...but especially the kids and teens. I guess it just really got to me this morning.

And now i'm going to ignore my own thread for a bit because i'm about to start crying again at my desk....oh geese...
  • Options
    How devastating.  If there was a second person involved, I hope the police apprehend them soon.  I'll be keeping this in my thoughts all day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My prayers to everyone.  That is the theatre my fiance used to go to, and his friends and family still do. Not to mention the fact that the brother of one of our groomsmen was in the theatre, thankfully he got out okay.   And I know exactly what you mean about Columbine (I grew up in Littleton, had two family friends who died).  It's so senseless and shocking, I'm just sitting here at work numb. : /
    "You're not my life but you're the one I want to spend it with. You're not my world but you're the best thing in it."
  • Options
    I heard on the radio this morning. A police chief said they've got everybody they can get, including FBI, involved so they can figure out what happened asap. It's terrible, and I can't imagine what people who were there are going through. Everyone will be in my prayers.
  • Options
    psubride - I am so sorry. I cannot imagine having a close friend go through that. I'm so glad to hear he got out ok. I'm also sad to hear about how close to home Columbine is for you too. Your friends and their families are lucky to have you in their support systems. Prayers to your friends and their families.
  • Options
    I heard about this morning when I woke up on the radio.  How awful.  It's really upsetting and really senseless.  I don't understand how people can do these things.  Hugs Allusive!

Anniversary

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_colorado-shooting-prayers-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:20256455-2f32-4ebe-bda1-51b053c24f91Post:f334c6b4-b05a-4f5b-bbd4-d6c61055879b">Re: Colorado Shooting - Prayers Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]psubride - I am so sorry. I cannot imagine having a close friend go through that. I'm so glad to hear he got out ok. I'm also sad to hear about how close to home Columbine is for you too. Your friends and their families are lucky to have you in their support systems. Prayers to your friends and their families.
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>Thank you so much.  As soon as I found out our family and friends were okay, I came on here.  As much as I am still a lurker, I remembered there are a couple girls from Colorado on here (noticed during the talk about the wildfires) and it makes me feel a little better to have someone that can empathize.  It's even more shocking because Colorado is full of so many amazing, kind, thoughtful people.  I wouldn't blink twice at violence here in DC, but this kind of stuff is unbelieveable in CO.  </div>
    "You're not my life but you're the one I want to spend it with. You're not my world but you're the best thing in it."
  • Options
    I heard about this on the news as I got ready this morning. So distrubing. :(
  • Options
    SKP82SKP82 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    Oh wow.  I heard about this this morning, too.  I'm sure it must be a very emotional time.  I will be thinking of you.  *hugs, hun*
    IMG_6364
    "Life is not orderly. No matter how we try to make life so, right in the middle of it we die, lose a leg, fall in love, drop a jar of applesauce." - Natalie Goldberg
  • Options
    I'm so sorry.  OKC isn't a stranger to acts of violence like that (think 1995 OKC bombing) and I know how helpless and just plain SAD you feel.  it doesn't make any sense at all.  especially after Columbine.  I'll be thinking about you and your community. I know you all will pull together and come out all right, but it just sucks right now.
  • Options
    I just read about this.  I am praying for the people and their families.  CO is having a rough time.  I don't understand why anyone would do something so terrible.
    "Love is not affectionate feeling, but a steady wish for the loved person's ultimate good as far as it can be obtained"-C.S. Lewis

Married! May 27th, 2012

• Options
    Ugh, I know it's a long shot, but we have one person on my team who works from CO, about 40 minutes away from Aurora, and she's not signed in yet. The whole team starts working at 9am every day, so it's definitely unusual and its definitely stressing me out. Just hoping I'm being irrationally worried right now.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Hummingbird125- you aren't being irrational- just being a human being.  I'm the same way- I'm sure she is just running late this morning.
  • Options
    Ugh. Just the other night, I was reading online about the University of Iowa shooting that happened in the 90s. I hadn't even known about it before. Anyway, I was just thinking how glad I was that this kind of thing hadn't happened in a while, and I woke up to this awful news. I'm disgusted, angry, and heartbroken. I can't even imagine how I would be feeling if I lived in CO, Allusive.
  • Options
    We are watching the coverage from our hotel room. There are no words to describe the sadness. The pictures are absolutely heartbreaking. You can't even begin to comprehend how someone can be so evil. I feel so so sad right now.
  • Options
    Definitely sending thoughts out to the family and friends of the victims and the community at large. Just a senseless, stupid act. It's crazy and unthinkable. Keeping everyone in my thoughts. 
  • Options
    Sending a lot of prayers and thoughts your way.  Part of my job is working on the community crisis team and we've been facing a lot of teen deaths lately, so I can understand a little of what you're going through.  These kinds of situations are heartbreaking and definitely shake even the strongest people.
  • Options
    This is a truly sad day for all of us here in Colorado, after Columbine it is shocking that something like this could happen at a movie theatre. I just turned 24 yesterday and the shooter is 24 and I cannot understand how and why someone so young with so much life ahead of them would do something so horrific. Prayers for all here in Colorado.
  • Options
    I read about that last night when I was leaving the theater after seeing Batman. Horrible.

• Options
    BF and I were supposed to see it on Monday. I don't want to go anymore. I was really looking forward to it, but I just don't think I can step foot in the theater without thinking about those involved. I have a friend from high school that just moved from Aurora a couple of weeks ago. He's fine, but it's crazy to think he could've so easily been there.
  • Options
    I can't believe this is what I woke up to. I'm just sitting in front of the T.V. trying not to cry right now. This theater is 30 minutes from BF's house. I'm frantically going through where my friends live in my head to think if anyone would've been there last night.

I'm trying to decide if I should wake BF up to tell him about it. He doesn't have to work today so he's sleeping in.

• Options
    My thoughts go out to the families and people that were there.  I heard of this news on the radio when I was driving to work.  It just leaves me speechless at what is going on presently when people can't enjoy a movie without the fear of some homicidal massacre.  It makes me so sad and angry at the same time.
  • Options
    It's sad to hear of such senseless tragedies.  I just don't understand why people do these things.  My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families and anyone else affected by this horrible tragedy.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I heard about this earlier today too, it is just horrible what happened and makes my stomach churn. My thoughts and prayers are going out to everyone affected by this tragedy. I can sympathize with them.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Sending tons of prayers and love your way!! A lot of my friends and family live in Aroura so I got woken up early... only one person I know was shot and is doing well.

Praying for all the victims and their families!
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_colorado-shooting-prayers-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:20256455-2f32-4ebe-bda1-51b053c24f91Post:c61ea7f8-908c-4f37-bf39-c6d67e46a2ab">Re: Colorado Shooting - Prayers Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Sending tons of prayers and love your way!! A lot of my friends and family live in Aroura so I got woken up early... only one person I know was shot and is doing well. Praying for all the victims and their families!
    Posted by Lilyrose4242[/QUOTE]

I'm glad the person you know is doing well. I can't even imagine how terrifying it must have been for anyone who was there last night.

• Options
    Vintagelove4Vintagelove4 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited July 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_colorado-shooting-prayers-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:20256455-2f32-4ebe-bda1-51b053c24f91Post:4bc9eb86-4bf7-4974-b10d-b6adecf96749">Re: Colorado Shooting - Prayers Please</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks Liv, I really appreciate that. I am not one who normally gets very emotional about things. I was listening to a teenage guy being interviewed this morning and he was talking about a girl who was wounded who he noticed while they were being removed from the theater. He didn't even know her, but he kept talking about the look in her eyes and how he just wanted to know that she was ok. It really choked me up...how much concern he had over someone he'd never even met. It hurts to know that anyone had to experience such trauma...but especially the kids and teens. I guess it just really got to me this morning. And now i'm going to ignore my own thread for a bit because i'm about to start crying again at my desk....oh geese...
    Posted by allusive007[/QUOTE]

After the call and then watching the news my eye's haven't been dry all day. Especially when the mother was taking about her 12 year old... that broke my heart.
    I remember Colombine, but I was to young to really understand what had happened.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I read about this first thing this morning.  What a terrible thing to happen.  

I really have no words other than my thoughts are with the victims and their families.  
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I heard this news on the radio on my way home from work this morning. I immediately thought of all my knottie friends who live out that way. My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families, as well as the whole community. It's difficult to wrap your head around such senseless violence.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards