Not Engaged Yet

Warrior Dash

I feel like someone on here did the Warrior Dash last year? I can't remember who though.

It's coming to Canada for the first time this summer. BF's Mom's BF (haha) is entering, and BF might as well. Looks like a helluva party if you ask me! So if you've entered, or been a spectator, what was your experience? Just curious.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.

Re: Warrior Dash

• motoLynmotoLyn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I did Warrior dash last year along with Spartan Race.  I was a runner in it, but I had friends who were on the side lines taking pics.  As a spectator there is a lot to see and partake in.  I have to say stationing your self near the finish line right where the mud pit is, is always fun.  That way you can grab pics of your friends diving into and getting out of the mud pit looking down right pig-tastic. 

Warrior dash is a lot of fun, I carried a water proof disposable camera with me when I ran.  If you like to see some pics I can post them up later or email them to  you.  Actually let me go look for some. 
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011

Dropping in with my friend Don.

Figure I might as well go for it.

Approaching the pit.

That's me far left trying not to fall back in because i was laughing at my friends behind me.

I need a stick of orbitz chewing gum!

Yeah that's me on the left.

The neato fuzzy viking hat we get.  Don't mind the pale dude on the right, he's another friend I managed to  talk into doing this with me.

EDIT: One free beer for the participants.  Yeah I gave mine away. 
  • Beads921Beads921 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I saw a lot of pictures of beer on the website, so the one free beer for each participant kind of explains that! It looks like a wicked race. Not too serious, more fun than anything. Looks like you got good and muddy! I hope BF does it - I think I'll show him your pictures (I have a feeling the viking hat and free beer might be enough incentive). Did you train for it (if you can really train for running through fire and a mud pit)? Was it absolutely exhausting?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Life is good today.
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    This post sparked an interest.  I think I'll have to talk BF into doing it with me.  We're moving to Florida this summer, so we missed the date :(  Guess we'll have to do it in 2012.  Oh well, more time to train!

The website just says to run as much as possible (I really hate running...), but are there other ways to train?
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    The training I did was for endurance, I ran every weekend with my friends.  Trail running is the way to go, that way I got used to running on dirt and uneven ground. When it came to Warrior dash I focused on running and endurance, when it came to Spartan I added in weight training because I needed upper body strength for the walls that I had to climb, push ups they make you do and the ropes I had to transverse.

Warrior dash was a fun race that got ready for Spartan Race which kicked my ass which is getting me ready for Tough Mudder.

Of course you don't need to be a runner if you want to do any of these races, you can walk the whole thing is you like.  Its just I'm usually the only female that wants to do these events so its me and like 2-3 other guys including FI and they are all competitive.  To keep up with them I got to go all out.  Warrior dash didn't leave me tired at all, I ran the whole time with the exception of having to wait my turn at the cargo net.  Spartan race left me beaten, battered and walking funny for 2-3 days.  I actually got sick because the water they had us swim  through was soooooo effin cold. 
  • alanna91alanna91 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Motolyn, now you've made me even more excited! There's a Spartan Race in my area this August!
    I had been looking into Rugged Maniac, but I always get nervous. I love running military obstacle courses, but I feel I would start dreading my decesion five miles in.
    I run a lot, but I've never trained for something like this. How long did you train before you ran your first race?

White Knot
  • peekaboo2011peekaboo2011 member
    edited December 2011
    Alright, you talked us into it.  We're going to do Fl in 2012.  Now, to get my butt into running.
    I french with my man
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warrior-dash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:20e90f0d-603f-407e-803a-dd899d2dae67Post:32f75fd9-3920-4e60-8c9b-d888a0caf21b">Re: Warrior Dash</a>:
    [QUOTE]Motolyn, now you've made me even more excited! There's a Spartan Race in my area this August! I had been looking into Rugged Maniac, but I always get nervous. I love running military obstacle courses, but I feel I would start dreading my decesion five miles in. I run a lot, but I've never trained for something like this. How long did you train before you ran your first race?
    Posted by alanna91[/QUOTE]

Warrior dash was in April of 2010, but the summer of 2009 I was getting to be a gym rat.  Add in surfing and mountain biking as well as running around my neighborhood I was already building my endurance.  Let me tell you I hated running but once I got into a good routine running became an outlet.  I was angry a lot at the end of 2009 (my EX was causing trouble) Put the music on and just go at it.  MUSIC is key!  A good jam can carry me the last mile when I want to die.  So the warrior dash was a way to keep my motivation going about staying active. 

Every extra mile I ran and each minute that I shaved off was a reward and confirmation that I could do this.  My right knee gave me issues as a teenager, and my left knee got a bit messed up when I  had my accident on my motorcycle so by losing the weight and strengthening the muscles around my knees I was able to get them to withstand the pressures from running. 

A piece of advice having a great group of people to do it with you is very important.  I couldn't have done it without my friends.  It gave me a reason to run faster so I could beat them ;-)  Spartan Race I was by myself so I made friends along the route.  Camaraderie through shared sweat and tears. 
  • motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_warrior-dash?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:20e90f0d-603f-407e-803a-dd899d2dae67Post:9250af51-5804-49cf-9ab5-7cfac4855535">Re: Warrior Dash</a>:
    [QUOTE]Alright, you talked us into it.  We're going to do Fl in 2012.  Now, to get my butt into running.
    Posted by peekaboo2011[/QUOTE]

DO EET!
  • brucehudson84brucehudson84 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Awesome.  Have you tried Rebel Race.  It has more obstacles.  More than 20!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards